Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The supra finally blew a head gasket at 206k.. still starts up and runs but has a rough idle..i check the oil and it is a very creamy color like coolant is mixing with the oil. kind of a bummer, if i knew this was gonna happen i would of have saved my money instead of replacing alot of original parts to get it running nice and smooth. not sure what to do, rebuild the 5m or just let it sit until i can get a new 6m..

·
Registered
637 Posts
is the supra your DD? if so you might just want to replace the headgasket, it really is not that hard, well at leas for me, if it's not your dd i would just wait and buy a 6m.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
How long has the head gasket been blown and how long have you been running the engine/driving it with the blow head gasket? Coolant and oil mix do not do nice things to metal surfaces inside the engine.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
just tell me where you can get a NEW 6M ?????

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea the car is my DD which makes things alot harder.. the head gasket went out about 3 weeks ago. its only been started 2 times since, no driving. haha no the 6m wont pass emissions in nazi california haha. but my friends dad actually owns a smog shop out here and hes passed cars that wont pass haha gonna cost ya a little more haha but itll pass. and for a 6m i was just checkin out rabidchimp?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Rabidchimps motors aren't new... they are better than getting one from a random importer... but they are not brand new.

Head gasket job alone isn't that expensive... and actually really easy. Could be done in a couple of day... but usually, once you get down to the headgasket... tend to think... I've come to the center or the motor and Im going to replace a few things and leave it?

No. might as well do it all when your that far in... get a engine gasket set, bearings for everything and so on. If you do all of the possible work you can it'll be around a grand. to have a pretty damn fresh motor.

But if you have the money, go for a 6mge... fairly fresh motor and then you can get to know the 5mge (almost the same motor minus some internals for the 6mge) so you can use that as a model and fix it on your own time then sell it, or use it as a back up if you break something on the 6m.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The motor is not blown up, it's just the HG. Replace the HG and get it running. Then you can save up for a 6M.

I have 2 for sale in my section, that can be rebuilt.

·
Registered
555 Posts
In my oppinion:

DO NOT START IT AGAIN!! ONLY BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN.
You may want to unplug the coil wire so it will be impossible to be started by anyone.

The head gasket can be replaced relatively easily if you have/have access to a engine hoist. You can lift the entire head/exhaust manifold/intake manifold as one piece, remove the headbolts/ lift head assy./remove the old gasket, replace w/ new gasket/ replace head assy./replace head bolts and tighten in the proper sequence to the proper torque and you are back on the road. I did my first one this summer and it wasn't that hard or time consuming. You do have to do a little bit more work but if you have worked on it before and even feel that this is possible...you are competent enough to do it.
The oil/coolant thing is scarry, you might want to change the oil to get the watery crap out of the inside of your engine ASAP, it will rust things that have very close tolerences. It doesn't matter how many times it has been running but how long it has been running with the water in there. Good luck.
BTW I used a genuine Toyota HG and it cost me $80.00 I was told "you get what you pay for, how many times do you want to do this?" me: "once!"

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would like to just put a new head gasket on, cheapest way to get the car back on the road no doubt. but the motor has 206k and likes to burn oil. Probably a quart every 2k miles. a fresh rebuild would be nice but expensive. most likely ill do what you guys said and just put a new HG on and be done with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as oil burning goes, my 83 with 118K mi which Ive had since 1992 uses about a quart in 2500 mi and has done about that much since I got it with 56K on it. From what my (trusted) mechanic has told me these engines do tend to use some even under the best of conditions and can become real oil burners if not maintained religiously. BTW what oil weight does everyone use. Mine seems to like a high quality 20 W 50 and has since I got it but that is in southern California. My changes are every 3K no matter what.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
it depends about how much $$$$ do you want to spend, and what kind of job are you going to get, don't forget to take the head to the machine shop, let them replace the valve seals, do a valve job and pressure test the head for cracks.

good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had the gasket blow on my to so i just removed my head and sent it away to be shaved and pressure tested. also make sure you got a nice surface for the gasket to mate to, on both sides! my cars got about the same mileage to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My head gasket blew in my 83 Supra while my daughter was driving the car. She drove until it stopped. The head is cracked. The engine will still start. I have a rebuilt head from a 84 Supra. My question is, will a round tooth timing belt (84) fit my square tooth drive gear or will a drive gear from a 84 fit my 83?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts