Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sept 17th, 2009, my beautiful, lovely wife and I drove to Tucson to look at this blue 1986 Supra that some guy was selling. He was just looking to get rid of it cuz it has a few problems and it hasn't been registered in 2+ years due to not being able to pass emissions. Says it is only running on 5 cylinders, but has a straight body and the interior is a 7.5 out of 10 with the dash being cracked. The paint is faded on top, which you'd expect for a 23 year old car. This might just make for the perfect fixer-upper, I was thinking!!

The title situation is another snafu with this car. He bought it from a guy, who bought it from a guy that bought it from the original owner! Nobody bothered to change the title over to their name in 2+ years!! And the guy WE bought it from misplaced the signed & notarized title selling it to him and couldn't find it (or so he said)!! :eek: So we were able to get the car for a mere $600 cash!!!!! :D Just gotta do a bonded title process to get it cleared through MVD and into our name!!

I've been wanting a blue MK2 again for the longest time since I had one right when I graduated high school in the '90s! And with my wife knowing I've wanted another blue MK2 for so long, she figured it'd be the perfect birthday present for me (b-day was Sept 16th)!! So without further ado, here are the pictures! Enjoy!! :)

The ugly...

More uglyness...

Additional pictures can be seen here...
http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/supradavis/Blue_86_Supra/

·
Registered
456 Posts
86 Blue

Hey Dave good seeing you back on the forum. Looks like you got yourself a fun project there. Typical SW sun damage, etc. but still a good find, especially for the price. Let me know what parts you are going to need as I have a fair supply of NW non-sunburnt stuff but no dash parts unfortunately.

BTW Does the radio and tape work? If so maybe we could do some trading....

Greg W

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dave good seeing you back on the forum. Looks like you got yourself a fun project there. Typical SW sun damage, etc. but still a good find, especially for the price. Let me know what parts you are going to need as I have a fair supply of NW non-sunburnt stuff but no dash parts unfortunately.

BTW Does the radio and tape work? If so maybe we could do some trading....

Greg W
Thanks Greg! I troll the forums quite frequently! Just don't post very often. :wabbit:

I have a blue dash and a bumper cover in the garage already. I know I'll want a new center armrest cover since the one it has now is from a Celica.

The radio works, but the speakers are shot to hell. Would have to check the tape player to see if it still works or not. I think my wifey has an old tape I can test it out with! :eek: Will let you know. :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nice find! Man, that car was sitting in the sun for some time. I guess in that kind of heat that's what you get. I wonder what is worse rust from the north or sun from the west? LOL

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
sun damage > rust

lots of nice cars popping up on Arizona CL lately, a little fried but no rust is worth it. besides you figure after 25 years it'll need a new paintjob regardless of location

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice find! Man, that car was sitting in the sun for some time. I guess in that kind of heat that's what you get. I wonder what is worse rust from the north or sun from the west? LOL
Thanks! The guy we bought it from said that the dash only went south in the last few years since the original owner kept it garaged most of it's life. Lucky for me, I have a good blue dashpad that will go in once I get the title situation resolved. I'm planning to put a dashmat on it too to protect the new one!

Yeah, sun damage is bad sometimes, but I'll take that over rust any day of the year! I'll be retinting the windows too so the interior will be protected from any further sun damage!

The dent below the trim and behind the driver's wheel is puzzling to me. Our black '86 has the same damage in the same spot! Is this possible tire blow-out damage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts