Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning I checked my rear view and noticed blue smoke. Not big clouds, just enough to see when you were going slow. I also noticed a drop in oil pressure. It seemed to happen after the car got warm. I didnt even hit boost that I remember. Car wont idle (just dies if I stop at a light) but seems to run fine above 1500 rpm's. When I gassed it the smoke didn't seem to increase. I dont *think* it is the MHG. No oil puddles under car either.

This cant be good people.

I thought cars were suppose to treat you well after you drop $5k into them?

:mad:

I am hoping that it is the oil seal in the turbo. When the car cools down I am going to go out and check the water and oil.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I wish I could help pinpoint the problem. Hope it's nothing serious. I doubt it would be a head gasket as it would show signs of overheating. Could be turbo seals, blown ring land, bad valve seals, etc. I'd do a compression check. Also remove intake hose to turbo and look for oil leak on compressor side (dunno about hot side).

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil is clean, water is clean. Oil level has not dropped. The lack of oil pressure may have been my imagination (being paranoid).
Intake is clean on intake side of turbo. I took the intake pipe off that goes over the valve covers and it is clean.
I started the car up and saw no blue smoke and the cold idle circuit held it at 1500rpms and it ran fine. I did not let it warm up.
Where ever the oil is coming from it isnt very much bacuse the oil level didnt seem to drop. I did put a little too much oil in it when I changed it. But I cant see that causing a big issue unless it was WAY too full.
If the oil is seeping out the exhaust turbine side of the turbo I wouldnt think it would cause the car to die at a light.
If I lost compression in a single cylinder I would think it would run rough below 2000rpms. I cant believe I lost compression on several cylinders at the same time.
I will be testing compression in all cylinders as soon as I get home this eve.

Maybe I should have posted this in the Engine forum but I thought it was turbo related.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, just got home. Idles fine, didnt notice any smoke.

I think I have 2 issues.

My idle control valve isnt up to snuff because for the last year or so the engine will drop to like 400rpm's when I let off the gas and then come back up. That happens on and off (more on than off latley). I think the car dying this morning was just an extnetion of that. It has happened before.

And I think the oil seal on the turbo is shot. I have another turbo I am going to swap in this weekend while I am doing th clutch.

I will still do a compression check but I am sure the engine is ok. Oil pressure is fine. I was just being paranoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i hope this isnt too late but my car has a oil burning problem. it isnt the block and it isnt the turbo. i had it rebuild and then checked again and it checked out fine. what i have realized is that the oil gets real hot and thins out causing it to burn and the oil pressure drop slightly even with 15w50 mobil 1 or 10w60 castrol. i plan to put an oil cooler.

does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After installing the Turbo I did notice a slight drop in oil pressure below 3000rpm's. This was noticed with the breakin oil as well as with the Mobil 1 I am running now.

I may install an oil cooler in the future. It would certainly be piece of mind.

My blue smoke problem was a leaking oil seal on the exhaust side of the turbo. My dying problem is a shot idle control valve. I got it to where it wont dye but it still hunts at a light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts