Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after much deliberation, i finally decided on a route to take the body of the car. I am going to remove the side mouldings and fill them in, and I am debating on shaving the rear hatch lock and the door handles still tho.

Has anyone done this, and how did it turn out? Pics if ya have them.. :)

Also, should I actually cut the chanel out of the metal and weld a piece in where I remove the mouldings, or would bondo be ok?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Haha, funnily enough I've done this, wll, I'm in the process of doing it.

I used the epoxy putty listed on the PPC (POR15) website, and its strength is something I hope holds out as people had suggested i weld the holes up...but then I saw this and thought i'd give it a go.

Don't have any pics of it at the moment though sorry.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
ive been doing this for years now. i use metal bondo mixed with fiberglass at the same time before it drys.

:drinking:

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
fiberglass is strong enough to cover little holes like that. Don't do just bondo to cover a hole thats any larger then a few mms. I wouldn't recomend welding them. Obviously thats the strongest solution but welding in the middle of body panels usually cause the meta to shrink, and then you have a real mess on your hands. It might not be a bad idea for the door handles though.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Avp23 said:
ive been doing this for years now. i use metal bondo mixed with fiberglass at the same time before it drys.

:drinking:
can ya give a bit more detail on this? Did you lay Fiberglass then bondo, or actually mix the fiberglass strips into the bondo?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I did the rear hatch, and all four arches are bonded onto the car. I dont think the door handles would be a good idea though incase of a battery failure. I believe my man welded up the holes and blended in fine filler on top.
Check out my pics.
Pat
http://photos.yahoo.com/pathipkins

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...thats really nice Pat...

Is that scoop functional, and if it is, does it provide any benefit that you can see?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yes it is functional. I can't say for sure if there is any real improvement but if you fit a induction kit of some sort in must help some. I have a ram air induction kit on mine and it made a lot of difference. The weather is perfect for this setup at the moment, sunny days and an east cold wind.
Pat

·
3,283 Posts
Re: this is my car

Avp23 said:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/avp23

check out what ive done
:drinking: :snipersm: :2gunfire:
i still love those, lol
How are you planning to handle the flares where they are molded around the trim pieces?

I've been considering just pulling the trim and leave it at that, but IMO, it just looks like ass with the gaping holes in the flares....

Mike

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
fenders

yea, i fixed the flares also. thats the hardest part. you have to make a lip perfect on the back for the seal to still stick on them. but its coming along.

·
3,283 Posts
cool, let us know how it turns out. I'm interested to see the finished product since all I've had to go by so far is my imagination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts