Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Well, I've pretty much hit the wall on performance mods on my JZA-61. Anything more (single turbo, aftermarjet ECU, etc.) is going to cost big bickies and take it away from it's intended purpose - as a fast & fun daily driver. The interior is pretty well set too - just need to get some tunes.

I was thinking of getting a re-spray. The body is in good nick, just a couple of paint scratches and the usual hatch rust bubbles. I'll probably go for a colour that is close to SDR but just a little different.

Sorry for being so long winded - what I wanted to ask was people's thoughts on getting a pannel beater to create a bonnet scoop a la Russ M. or the carbon fibre guys in Canada (or RX8, for that matter). Would a good pannel guy be able to cut and shape a standard bonnett to create the scoop? Would it be a big/pricey job?

I'd be doing this primarily for appearance - though a bit of airflow over the coils would be nice. The other thing I was thinking about was a pair of colour-coded Cosworth vents up near the window? Just not sure of this would look tacky or not. Any thoughts or ideas, folks? And before you mention it, NO I can't affors to buy and fly a Canadian custom fibre bonnett to Oz ... unless I win Lotto.

cheers,

Justin

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Hey. I did actually look into shipping to Australia for those hoods when the buy was just being launched. I think about 250 US was the cost. But it worked out that shipping for 3 hoods worked out to about 75/80 us each, so if you could get 2 other Aussies to go in on it with you the shipping price would actually be cheaper then sending 1 hood to the states.

Anyways, to answer your other question you can do just about anything, just a matter of how good the bodywork is. Don Culbertson did something similar to what your suggesting...

And adding the cosworth style hood vents would be fairly easy too. You can buy generic plastic ones and mold them in, or just make some careful cuts to your stock hood and bend the sheet metal up then finish it up with some good bodywork.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Don's hoodscoop is from a late 60's Mustang. Can't remember which one (pretty sure it was not a Boss 302 or a Cobra Jet). And yes, it is functional, there is a opening at the end where it directs air above the exhuast side of the turbo housing.

For those of you coming to the Delta B.C. Meet this Sunday, you'll probably get a chance to look at this.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A bonnet is something women wear on their head, a hood is what goes on your car! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts