1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Looks like Toyota has done it again.

·
POTATO
17,345 Posts
A nice car it might be, but I'm sorry, I can't see it as an ACTUAL Supra with it being like 2/3rds BMW. I just can't.

It's just very frustrating to me that this design/similar designs have been floating about for like 18 years and in that time they couldn't have been bothered to engineer a stronger, more efficient inline 6 by themselves (or with Yamaha).

I'm sure it sounds real nice, and drives real nice but I'm definitely not feeling it.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
Looks like BMW has done it again.
edited for accuracy :sarcasm:

Not sure about the pointy nose. Ferrari and Mercedes all tried it and it just looks awkward.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It was a little difficult to see details, but in general, I think that I like it! And I hate new cars!

The profile hinted of the Mk IV although somewhat sleeker.
I see a lot of design hints of other cars. The headlights look like those of the S2000, the nose is supposed to hint of Formula 1 with front wings like a lot of current Ferraris. The front of the rear fenders look like the Mazda RX8 with leading edge vents. The rear seems to have the droopy eye look like Corvette and a half dozen other cars.

I like the look of the rear roof line with the duck tail spoiler and the rear fenders back.

It looks a lot less like the BMW Z-Series than I thought it would.

I wish designers would come up with new looks that were all their own rather than borrowing features from other cars. There are only so many ways that a car can look: long nose, short tail, cab forward and so on, but when one sees recognizable specific features that evoke other models, it is sort of sad. When the Mk II Celica Supra came out, it was quite polarizing with sharp edges and what were then jarring surface features such as the rear side markers, but it was unlike any other car on the market.

I don't think that the new Supra is quite as unified as that, but overall, not a bad effort. Well done Toyota!

Dale

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
If its truly 3275lbs and 380hp its going to probably offer comparable straight line performance to the Camaro SS and Mustang GT and cornering performance closer to the C7. I think they're not going to sell a lot of these if they are a $60k car in the US (or even 50k). Like worse than Mk4 numbers.

The million dollar question is how reliable these are, being a BMW parts bin car. The auto only rumors is a major buzzkill. I won't even consider it if it comes that way. I still regret not buying that Mk4 back in '99...

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
JZ swap the world.

Most folks are parking their MKIV.

·
Founding Member
6,698 Posts
At least it doesn't have a hideous Lexus grill like the face of the Predator alien creature from the movies. I was a bit worried from all the spy photos, but its not bad looking. At $60,000, yes, they are going to struggle with the same thing that killed off the Japanese supercars in the first place, pricing themselves up into a market that tends to buy only "luxury" brands. Like the mk4, there won't be a lot of them made before they realize they're losing money on every one of these "halo cars". Let just hope nobody makes it the feature car in some blockbuster Hollywood movie so they can depreciate normally.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
edited for accuracy :sarcasm:

Not sure about the pointy nose. Ferrari and Mercedes all tried it and it just looks awkward.
LOL did not know about bmw

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Repairing a BMW or Mercedes----forget about it I always liked how Toyotas were fairly easy to repair, even for an average wrencher like me.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Repairing a BMW or Mercedes----forget about it I always liked how Toyotas were fairly easy to repair, even for an average wrencher like me.
lol
The American company that I work for has a factory in Germany that designs and builds a product line and you can always tell left coast American products, right coast American products, and German products from each other simply by looking at them.

East coast US products will have a plastic chassis and one or two buttons on them. The parts are designed for cost efficient manufacturing. West coast US products will have cnc machined assemblies and push the bounds of technology.

German products will have vapour deposited tungsten/iridium coatings on steel cnc machined forgings. There will be 10X more parts than any American equivalent part. If software is included, there will be 200 icons that look almost identical....

When our German products work, they work unbelievably well. When they are broken.............they are unbelievable too.
Often I will look at something and wonder why it is so complicated. When you can coax the factory to explain the logic (they do NOT like to explain themselves), it's incredibly logical, brilliant even. They will do ANYTHING to improve performance by 0.735% (1 decimal place, I think not!)
North Americans go for the 95 percentile, choosing to reduce by 75% the complexity and cost to deliver 95 percent of the performance. This drives Germans insane. If it can be made to perform better, they will do it.

In competition, this pays off. When you have a 7 year old car that won't start in January in the middle of a snow storm, it doesn't.

I love German technology and equipment, I just don't want to be the one to buy it.

·
Founding Member
6,698 Posts
There's an old joke about three engineering students, one from Japan, one from the U.S and one from Germany, all participating in a timed engineering challenge. All three are asked to attach a square plate to a wall. The Japanese engineering student sees that the plate is quite sturdy, so he drills one hole in the middle of the plate and screws it to the wall. The American drills four holes in the plate, one in each corner and screws his plate the the wall. The German, after watching the other two, mutters something to himself in German about the incompetency of the other two and proceeds to divide the entire perimeter of the plate and drill 100 equally spaced holes. The other two laugh and ask him what he thinks he's doing and he replies, "This plate isn't going $^*@# anywhere when I'm finished with it." The Japanese engineer says well, if you'd read ahead to challenge #5, it says "Now remove the plate and repair the wall."

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
I love how the designers made it for a JZ.

Best compromise.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Can't wait for someone to rip out that brand new hotbox 4cyl and figure out how to fire it up in a Yota pickup :)

LOL, actually, I retract that statement. Rather have any number of Toyota 4cyl. 4AGZE me up.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Official Reveal

Monday was the official reveal! Here you go....

2020 Toyota Supra Specs (assume from 3.0 Premium version):

Engine: 3.0-liter twin-scroll turbo six
HP / Torque: 335 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque
Wheelbase: 97.2 in.
Overall Length: 172.5 in.
Overall Width: 73.0 in.
Overall Height: 50.9 in.
Track Width Front: 62.8 in.
Track Width Rear: 62.6 in.
Curb Weight: 3,397 lbs.
0-60 mph: 4.1 seconds
U.S. Pricing: 3.0 (base trim): $49,990
3.0 Premium: $53,990
Launch Edition (details): $55,250

·
Registered
491 Posts
A nice car it might be, but I'm sorry, I can't see it as an ACTUAL Supra with it being like 2/3rds BMW. I just can't.

It's just very frustrating to me that this design/similar designs have been floating about for like 18 years and in that time they couldn't have been bothered to engineer a stronger, more efficient inline 6 by themselves (or with Yamaha).

I'm sure it sounds real nice, and drives real nice but I'm definitely not feeling it.
100% agreed.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts