Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
Literally anybody can buy a nice example of any car. MKIV included, as many buy it just for status.

Rather, what they do in their engine program and what they are willing to do, fabrication wise, that really impresses me and earns my respect.

A lot of people are just buying into the car instead of building them. No talent required.

There's too many modern chassis that are faster around a track than the highly modified MK2, and plenty of Kia and Hyundai's faster in a straight line.

But nothing beats the driving experience from the MK2, yet.

Reactions: '82supra

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
And nothing looks as awesomely 1980s, period.

I totally get why people (us) labor so hard over these cars. It's not easy, but it is rewarding. Kinda like most things in life, if it's easy, well...you get what you give.

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
^ spot on.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Buying a new sports car is easy.

"Sign here, please."
lol

Too true! Having said that, that's what I did in 1983. And I still have that car.
If nobody bought new cars, there would be no future old cars.

We have to think ahead to what guys 35 years from now will saying. Mk2 Supras will be ancient to them. Kind of like an 18-year-old now buying a Model A Ford. Fun, but not exactly practical for the street. Instead they will be buying 2020 Mk V Supras and saying "do you remember when cars had gasoline engines".

Toyota is building the future today.

I love the shape of the Mk2. I truly think it's lines are close to perfect.
I am getting bored with the look of Mustangs now however. When Ford brought out their first retro styled Mustang I loved it. They have brought out so many versions now, that I'm starting to say "Why don't they start with a fresh look?"

The Mk V is the fresh look for Toyota. While it has a lot of current styling cliches, 5 or 35 years from now people will be able to distinguish it from other models. I think they could've started with a lot worse of a look!

Dale

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
As soon as a car is released, there's going to be a company making some upgrade for it. In the case of the MKV, companies are already trying to get the first engine swap kits ready to go. Those get my attention first, and 35 years later, they look great at car shows all stock.

People still buy the new cars for what the style, performance, or hype does around it. Got it.

The purists don't like the MK5 for the same reason they don't like a lot of mods on the MK2; because it's not a Toyota anymore. Yet, look at highly modified supras of any generation, and they are respected, even though it has a T56 in it, standalone, and nothing stock except the headgasket, and even those get modified depending on how badass your build is.

We enjoy the best time ever in parts selection and performance, but I don't see Toyota building the future anymore. Just because BMW built the new Poopra.

Tesla has the future covered in fleet sales, because it's really the financial investors and government checks building megafactories, that are building the future without oil.

Reactions: '82supra

·
Founding Member
6,705 Posts
I am getting bored with the look of Mustangs now however. When Ford brought out their first retro styled Mustang I loved it. They have brought out so many versions now, that I'm starting to say "Why don't they start with a fresh look?"

The Mk V is the fresh look for Toyota. While it has a lot of current styling cliches, 5 or 35 years from now people will be able to distinguish it from other models. I think they could've started with a lot worse of a look!

Dale
I liked the S197 in 2005 but it didn't get me into a dealership to test drive one. In fact, when they canted the tailights in 2010, it kind of put me off the new Mustangs. Then the S550 came out in 2015 and I was hooked enough to go drive one. I'd just sold my 68 Mustang. Took me a few weeks to talk myself out of buying a $40,000 "toy" that was not going to get driven much and only going to depreciate over the next 25 years. But it really is quite a different car, an inch and a half less tall and the headlights wrap around the sides like most modern cars are the most noticeable, but in driving characteristics it was radically different because it finally got independent rear suspension. The purists lamented that it wasn't a drag racer any more, but only one in 100,000 buyers ever drag raced even once in their lifetime anyway.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
It's true that cars built today are the future of tomorrow's enthusiasts, but the cars from the past that we love today were ahead of their time at their release.

Mk5 is behind the times, as has been mentioned over and over. Without the name Supra I don't think anyone would have looked twice.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
Disagree about it being behind the times. Perhaps its dollar per hp isn't competitive with muscle car crowd, but then again when has the Supra ever pulled off that stunt? It hasn't, the Americans have always given big HP for cheap, because making motors big displacement wise is actually cheap to do. Whereas this Supra has a modern single turbo, air to water intercooler, dual vvt plus variable valve lift, variable boost control, aluminum block, adaptive dampers and a trick e diff that can Infinitly vary lock on the fly. Plus a very stiff chassis. Of course all of that would have been more impressive if Toyota had accomplished it on their own, almost all of that is BMW parts bin.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Alright, I will concede that one. Those are some pretty trick widgets they threw at it, and I like trick widgets.

Hopefully they hold up like Yota widgets.

I dig the concept of the water injected engines BMW came up with. Meth, without the meth!

·
Whistles
1,058 Posts
Water = infinite octane. :)

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I'm just chiming in to say I'm not a fan. Mechanically or design wise. It was watered down (the design), and the amount of fake vents disappoint me. I think they did right mechanically (smart move) to use BMW for the parts, and help keep the price down. However it's disappointing when compared to the GT-R, both the design and performance.

I *could* buy one, but I will probably wait a long time. I'd rather get a Mustang GT350... more power, manual, back seats, and larger aftermarket support.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Yup. People hated on the FRS hard before it hit the market too, time will tell for sure.

The new car show is about to roll through town. I've been waiting to see the thing in person before I fully decide on what I think of it looks wise. It has some artifacts I really dislike here in internet land, but maybe I won't care in person.

Mechanically its not bad, but the lack of manual is a deal breaker for sure. That is something that is likely to resolve itself for the next model year though. They grossly underestimated how much flak they were going to take on that one. Last hold out is reliability (again time will tell) and lack of a targa top. I suspect the latter will get added in a later model year as well considering its a roadster chassis to start with. If I got one, it would be one of the last model years, and some other stuff would have to happen. Anyways, its been a fun ride, but I'm about done hanging out at mkV.com now that all the veils have been pulled back. That place is just descending into normal Supraforums nonsense now. What great forum software though, we need that here!

·
aka Mr Whisker
4,051 Posts
I just got my first up close and personal look at a Mk5 today ...late to the party I know, but I've been bushed ;)

Besides the fact you can't fit a set of golf glubs in it, couldn't Toyota/BMW have designed better door handles for the Mk5 (like the Tesla)?

However, I would not suggest a product out of the gate at the first year..... EVER.
Yet we both drive '82's :giggle:

61 - 77 of 77 Posts