Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with lean conditions when I go into boost on my 83 5mgte that I run in my 79 toy 4x4. I have attempted to get rid of this dangerous condition by tuning the afm, and using a begi/cartech rrfpr. and even using more than enough input on both of these it still goes lean above about 3500 rpm at full throttle. I am still using the stock injectors for now and I run an aftermarket bosch fuel pump (i think). Is there any EASY way to limit boost until I can get the 295's or should I really hustle to get those injectors..

Thanks...For now I am just using a pressure switch on my cold start to dump unmetered fuel into the intake to help keep things alive and driveable

Matt

·
Registered
794 Posts
If I did my project over again and used a 5m I would probably try using a couple RC Injectors with a stand alone injector controller. It would cost a little more but I think it would work better.

You probably need to get 295. If you are running stock boost you would need to lengthen the waste gate actuating arm to reduce boost.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How much boost are you running? If running low boost, you should not be running into a lean condition, unless you've got the Cartech regular adjusted improperly.
-Aaron

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running stock boost. With my cold start injector setup I can run to redline with it just flickering rich (at about 3/4 turn out on the needle valve). Without the cartech it can only get to ~4500 rpms before spiking lean and falling on its face. I doubt the cartech is adjusted improperly.

I am thinking it may be more along the lines of fuel pump capability, or that I have restrictions in the lines since I had to make my own pickup and feed lines out of bits and pieces of 79 pickup carburated junk. I think that if I were to run the 295's it will be better, but I am worried about off idle throttle response and loading up, since I use this truck for rockrawling and general wheeling.

Matt

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Fuel pump. I think you need to get a pump that you know is bigger than a stock one. Mine acted like that before I got a higher rated pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts