Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new fuel cut defender arrived yesterday, so I spent last night installing it along with a bleed valve. The FCD was super easy to install - just intercept the MAP sensor wire, add +12v and ground, and that's it! The bleed valve was another matter though; the 2JZ has vacuum lines, solenoids and diaphragms all over the place, so it took a lot of trial and error to find the right place to install the bleed. I got there in the end though!

The first test drive was pretty interesting; we didn't know what the bleed valve had been set at, so I decided to briefly floor it in 2nd gear and see what happens. The tacho hit 7000rpm almost instantly and the boost gauge went off the scale - holy crap!! It sure felt fast, but I decided to wind it down a LOT and try again. :) We eventually got it to hold a nice steady 17psi, and I'm pretty happy to leave it there. The FCD is set to fuel cut at 19psi so that gives me a bit of headroom. The car definitely goes very, very hard at 17psi... it breaks into wheelspin every time the second turbo kicks in. Yee-haa!!

Anyway, I'm taking the car to a dyno day on Sunday so it will be interesting to see how it performs. I dyno'd the car last weekend and got 263 rwhp on 12-13psi with lots of fuel cut at the top of 4th gear. I'm hoping to nudge 300 this weekend. :D

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Damn. :shock:

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
i thought at least the A-spec 2jzgte's had 320 stock.. why did your first dyno get so low?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Factory Dyno numbers are always at the cramk...it sounds more impressive in the ads. Norbie is using a chassis dyno so subtract about 15% from 320(so rwhp is around 270ish stock) IIRC

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 2JZ is JDM, which is 280hp at the flywheel (quoted). US-spec 2JZ's have bigger turbos and injectors, hence the higher hp figure.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
ahh see it's all coming clear to me now... :D

now every time i see norbie's site or watch his video :wink: i really want a 2j im my 84 :evil:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Speaking of the video, I never saw it and when I went to where it was it was no longer available. Norbie or someone could you please put it back out there? :cry:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Norbie said:
My new fuel cut defender arrived yesterday, so I spent last night installing it along with a bleed valve. The FCD was super easy to install - just intercept the MAP sensor wire, add +12v and ground, and that's it! The bleed valve was another matter though; the 2JZ has vacuum lines, solenoids and diaphragms all over the place, so it took a lot of trial and error to find the right place to install the bleed. I got there in the end though!

The first test drive was pretty interesting; we didn't know what the bleed valve had been set at, so I decided to briefly floor it in 2nd gear and see what happens. The tacho hit 7000rpm almost instantly and the boost gauge went off the scale - holy crap!! It sure felt fast, but I decided to wind it down a LOT and try again. :) We eventually got it to hold a nice steady 17psi, and I'm pretty happy to leave it there. The FCD is set to fuel cut at 19psi so that gives me a bit of headroom. The car definitely goes very, very hard at 17psi... it breaks into wheelspin every time the second turbo kicks in. Yee-haa!!

Anyway, I'm taking the car to a dyno day on Sunday so it will be interesting to see how it performs. I dyno'd the car last weekend and got 263 rwhp on 12-13psi with lots of fuel cut at the top of 4th gear. I'm hoping to nudge 300 this weekend. :D
Damn, mate thats crazy! How are those stock turbos going to hold at 17psi? I thought the turbines will disintegrate before that.

I gotta take another holiday to QLD so you can take me for a drive in it :twisted:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Muchbzy said:
Speaking of the video, I never saw it and when I went to where it was it was no longer available. Norbie or someone could you please put it back out there? :cry:
Norbie I'd love to see that video too :) If you can send it to me I'll host it permanently off my box downstairs. It won't be very fast but at least people will be able to get it. 300 to the wheels on a car that light has gotta be a trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts