Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Boss 302 Supra Project

48K views 150 replies 21 participants last post by  Grimbrand 
#1 · (Edited)
My Ford 5.0 HO swap has begun. For anyone interested, I will be keeping this tread updated with the project as I go.

The plan:
Purchase a running 5.0 HO Mustang. (Done) Most of this car is useless except for the engine, trans and accessories. The transmission was replaced with the SVT T5 5 speed about 28k miles.

I have a front sump pan and pickup tube coming Monday. SummitRacing part: SPE-5507 and MEL-68-s.
I hope this won't require a bunch of cutting to fit it as far back as I can. I think a trim on the cross member might be required.

I plan on getting the engine running in the car with the stock ECU before swapping in a MegaSquirt MS3/MS3X.

Once I make the motor mounts and thing fit, I will pull the engine an get the bottom end rebuilt to 10:1 compression.

I'll be dropping an Edlebrock top end kit on it. Heads, CAM, intake, 70mm TB.

I will be keeping the AC and power steering from the Ford and plumbing it to the Supra with some custom lines.

The front half of the Ford driveline will be grafted to the rear half of the Supra's. (I will be keeping the Supra's rebuilt LSD for as long as it holds up) I think I will keep it a 2 piece using the Surpa carrier.

The Ford already has a stock "Shorty" style header. (Kinda crappy) might keep them, or purchase better flowing versions from PaceSetter. It looks like the steering linkage might clear without mods, but I won't know until I drop the Ford in. I plan on running side exiting exhaust just in front of the rear wheels. I think the catalytic converter relief areas will be used for the mufflers and the cats will be just behind the header flanges.

The gauges will not be an issue as I have a full custom AutoMeter setup, so anyone interested in doing this swap will need to figure that out for themselves.

See less See more
#3 ·
The only thing close that I have found was a member in Texas iirc that did an older 302 swap fit to the W58 trans. I live in Utah and my ride will need to go through a certification for emissions. There are a few hoops I will need to jump through, but due to the age of the Supra, the long and short is it must pass as well or better than an unmodified version as long as the replacement motor is newer than the motor it replaces. I don't think this will be an issue as my old motor with 280K mi. was still passing last year.

In fact, with the MegaSquirt ECU setup with full seq injection and ignition it should be as clean as a car much newer than the doner.

#7 · (Edited)
First round of parts showed up today. This is the fuel pressure regulator, AutoMeter fuel pressure gauge, oil pan and pickup.
Aeromotive 13103 Ford Fuel Pressure Regulator
Auto Meter 4363 Fuel Pressure

#8 ·
This sounds like it's going to be an awesome swap. Keep us updated Bassman!

I always figured it would be easier to swap the 302 and T-5 together than to do a custom bellhousing for the W58, since the T-5 is smaller dimensionally than the W58 (and heck, it's 25 lbs lighter, too!). I love my W58, but 280-300+ lb/ft wouldn't treat it well for very long.

Good luck and post pictures!

#10 ·
Well today I confirmed a fear I have had since the inception of the swap. Will I be able to use the stock hydraulic clutch setup for the W58. The answer is no. I found a video of someone that measured the throw on the cable actuated T5 clutch fork and it measures in at just under 1 inch. (Not from the cable attachment, but inward on the fork where I would be pushing it with the Supra slave.) Today I measured the throw of the hydraulic setup before pulling the trans, and the throw is just over 1/2 inch.

Now my options are:
1: Swap out the master and slave for something that has a throw closer to the Mustang. There are slaves that will work, but they all have a 7/8 inch bore. With the stock Toyota master and slave having a bore at 5/8" there just won't be enough fluid moved to the slave to get an inch of travel. If I replace the master with a 1" bore and use the 7/8' slave everything should work.
2: Adapt the cable. (No way in hell do I want this cable driven)

Anyone swapped out the master on their Supra? I would welcome any suggestions. BTW, I have looked at internal throwout bearing slaves as well, but the stock master will not push enough fluid to these either. And ouch are they spendy!

Here is the link to the W58 vidio for anyone interested:

Here is the link to the video taken by someone else showing the cable throw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ehbef-5mFE

#12 · (Edited)
Is that with the stock slave, or the one from the Land Cruiser? I have been afraid that just changing the master that it would over-extend the stock W58 slave.

I just ordered a Land Cruiser master. Looks like it bolts right in. I also ordered a slave that is a retrofit for 70 mustang. I will be able to fabricate a mount from a piece of angle iron to mount it up. I also picked up a 30" braided line that has several AN and tubing adapters.

Part numbers for those interested:
Car Shop Inc.
Slave -1 x PUSH STYLE SLAVE CYLINDER (305B) = $67.95
1 x HYD. CLUTCH LINE 36" (28050) = $33.99

eBay -- autoparts.titan3
Clutch Master Cylinder Centric 136.44415 fits 8587
Toyota Land Cruiser (311188206273) $32.22

#13 ·
TheBassman,

Is that with the stock slave, or the one from the Land Cruiser? I have been afraid that just changing the master that it would over-extend the stock W58 slave.

I just ordered a Land Cruiser master. Looks like it bolts right in.
Yes, the MC bolts right in, much the same as the original does! Also, I have had no problems with mating the LC MC with the MKII slave. Not long ago I replaced the MKII slave with a SC300 slave from a W58 - same fitment and same bore diameter...

Regards,

Carlos

#14 ·
Are you going with 58cc or 61cc heads? I'm not familiar with the Edelbrock top engine kit. What kind of bottom end are you planning on doing? 306?

#15 ·
Well, crap. I thought I had a top end kit all picked out from Edelbrock, but I must have been looking at the Trickflow. (Which I think has better flowing heads anyway). Edelbrock does not make an EFI top end kit.
This is the kit I'm hoping I will have money for when I'm done: (Wife has set a hard stop limit, and is watching me like a hawk:ugh: )
Trick Flow® 350 HP Twisted Wedge.

Yes 306 bottom end. Not sure what the cc size was, but final compression was 9.5:1.

The more issues I run into that are sapping the funds might force me 1 of 2 directions.
1. Clean up the top end. Port match etc. and run it until I can get the Trick Flow.
2. Go with a SVT top end kit that I will just have to be happy with. The SVT is not bad, and almost meets my HP wishes (310 HP).

My issue right now is I don't know what my issues will be moving forward. That puts the top end kit on the bottom of the list. I have to rebuild the bottom end, and my rear end needs some attention.

I could live with 310 HP. I had a 96 Vette with an LT4 rated at 330. I think the Supra would feel a lot like it did. (But way cooler!)

#17 ·
I don't expect to have those "Time Capsule" issues, because I drove my doner to my house. And it's covered in so much oil leakage that I won't need a drop of WD40 :)

My concerns are more header clearance, and wiring, but again, who knows what the future holds?

#18 ·
My vote would be swap the heads now while you've got it apart. You'll save a ton of weight with any aluminum heads vs any iron ones and make more power on top of it. Porting your stockers for now will be a huge time sink as well, and you won't sell em for much more money when you swap em out later anyway. You check the used market? I'm sure you can get a nice cam for cheap, and maybe if you're really lucky some heads too, but i dunno what your local market is like.

#19 · (Edited)
Out with the old

Out with the old. Pretty proud that I did this without extra bodies. Engine and trans are out. Time to do some clean up, and reroute fuel lines etc.. :thumbsup: You can just see the doner 5.0 HO mustang in the shot.

#20 ·
Fare thee well, little 5M. Make room for a five-oh.

This is such a cool swap! My 2 cents would be to do the aluminum heads now. Maybe get 'em used, have a machine shop check them over? :whatever:

#21 ·
Swapping the heads, intake, etc. while the motor is installed is not hard. The CAM is a little harder but still not too bad with the radiator and condenser out. The bigger issue with swapping heads and stuff now is the ECU. The 5.0 I have is a speed density EFI setup. Any mods done without a custom ECU will only make it run poorly. Getting the car back on the road is my number 1 priority.
Later in 88 the Mustang came with a MAF meter and ECU. Money I don't want to spend unless someone has 1 to donate.
Progress this weekend was made on the Mustang. Pulled the radiator and disconnected a bunch of stuff. Will get underneath it next weekend and should be able to pull the powertrain.

#23 ·
Now I've done it. I went nuts on eBay last night and bought a bunch of goodies. Heads, 1.6 rockers, ARP bolts, timing chain, studs and guide plates. I went kinda cheap on the heads and picked up a set of Pro Comp aluminum. The Ford versions seem to have good reviews from others that purchased them. They were cheap, so I hope I don't regret the choice.
Now I am committed to running an after market EFI ECU. (Megasquirt is the route I have planned on going the whole time anyway)
Looking for an intake setup now.
Weather permitting, I should be able to rip the motor out of the Ford this weekend and start the fitment process. Maybe I'll get lucky and everything will drop right into place. (I know, but it's a pipe dream)

#24 · (Edited)
Clutch Master and slave parts arrived today. Looks like I'll need to make the pushrod for the slave. Shouldn't be a big deal. Some threaded rod should get the job done.

#27 · (Edited)
I have 2 big projects going on right now. The other is a kitchen remodel. It's chewing into my Supra project time. Haven't even got the motor out of the Mustang yet. Started, but still have a bunch of stuff to disconnect before lifting her out. I figure I'll get it out, swap the pan and start setting it into the Supra chassis to see what's next. Of course this can't be done until the kitchen is finished. Hoping to get it done this week so next weekend can be spent on the cars.

Got some more goods yesterday:

#28 · (Edited)
Oh boy! More stuff. I picked these up from Brothers Performance. Edelbrock Performer clones. (Sorry Vic) Postman brought my Megasquirt by today, but the wife was snoozing so all he left me was a note. :sadsmilie I was hoping to start assembling the MS3/MSX and JimStim boards tonight. My whole Megasquirt will be arriving as a bag of parts. Looking forward to getting the soldering iron out.
Got my full FelPro engine gasket set yesterday, but didn't feel the need to upload a pic. Just a pile of gaskets.

#29 ·
Always loved the looks of the 5.0 long runner efi intakes. Looking forward to details on your efi setup, i too have a 302 i'd hate to carb. What are you running for ignition? I've got a mid 80's last of the carbed mustang gt distributor on mine with an ARP shaft on it for now.

#30 · (Edited)
EDIS ignition + Megasquirt 3

I'm going full sequential ignition using Ford EDIS and two 4 post coils. The coils each have 2 coils so it will actually be a hybrid wasted spark and sequential. I will connect it all up to a Megasquirt 3 + MS3X. Full custom wiring harness ordered from DIYAutotune.com I'm planning on getting a camshaft position sensor for a late model Ford Explorer that will get installed where the dizzy is now. This will also be setup for full sequential fuel delivery as well. A very similar setup to the one this guy installed: Ford EDIS Megasquirt Conversion 289 302 351 It looks like he went with a throttle body injection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.