Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
141 - 151 of 151 Posts
I've built a few hot rod harnesses to help sort out issues folks were having. Sensor leads can be a challenge. For your TPS spike issue, you can do a couple of things. I don't know how many wires are used but you can twist pairs of them together and twist multiple pairs together. Shielding should help as well. Generally the shielding is only grounded at the ECU and not at the sensors themselves. This minimizes the noise picked up on the sensor lead. Do not run these wires parallel to other wires and when crossing any high current wires, cross once at a right angle. Hope this helps.

Discussion starter · #142 ·
Since the TPS is grounded at the TB, I will ground the shield there as well. (Only) I have found that it is important to only ground one side of the shield. In my case all the other shielded wires I have had to use have been grounded at the sensor side and not the ECU.

I guess it doesn't matter which end you choose, but I think keeping all the shield grounds consistent is important.

Thanks for the input!

On another note, I'm surprised that I have not seen anyone else considering this swap. I'm so glad I didn't go my initial route and swap a 32 valve 4.6 Ford. Being such a wide motor, the headers would have been a real bear to get routed, not to mention the whole front sump issues. Our cross members are in the worst possible location for anything other than a 5M, 7M, 1JZ or similar swap.

thrilled to find this forum! I have slowly been measuring things up over the years and have decided to attempt it this fall. Starting with an 85 automatic peace. My plan is carbureted 302, maybe larger Stroker motor using small Windsor block. I will not be attempting to use a Toyota transmission behind a American V8, however. I will be using an American 5-speed transmission that is much much easier to come across and much cheaper to repair rebuild or locate. I will also be using an American hydraulic clutch with the factory Toyota pedal and master. Old school 5 liter Mustang Driveline supercheap to come across. As far as I see the only hurdle I've come across is the header clearance under the hood. I intend on running 3 inch pipe in the stock location all the way to the rear.I will be showcasing one of my Mufflers on this car as well.
going to start scanning over all the photos in this post, thanks guys!

Discussion starter · #144 · (Edited)
You will not be able to use the stock Toyota Master clutch cylinder. It does not have a big enough bore to throw the slave, unless you can find an American 5 speed with a tiny bore slave. Save yourself the grief and get a Willwood master. 7/8 in bore and use the Toyota slave you have.
Good luck, and don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

Discussion starter · #147 · (Edited)
I don't have any audio, but here is a great shot of me warming it up before heading out this morning:

I'm kinda liking the side exhaust as it allows me to piss off people next to me, or let them know that this ain't your average Toyota. :)
No rubbing since getting it all sorted.

Thanks for the photo! Your car now is in the BAD-ASS catagory.
No one can deny that.
Such a great pile of posts with photos cannot be denied.
The trials and blood and problems and issues with your BEAST has been a true pleasure to us all.

I have to go to Utah to ride in your car? Damn.
Drive and enjoy your NEW car. These swaps are always a treat to us.
I followed you all of the way and your dedication and "Stick-to-it-ive-ness" is demanding respect from us all.
Without such devotion and determination,the aftermarket would be toast. SEMA would die.
We all applaud you for your efforts and your project.
I just wish that I was a part of it. Such a great build.
I'm in love with my car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8EYUKmmnqc
JUST the V-8 sound would scare the ricers.

Be proud of your swap.:thumbsup:
:dj_smiley

Discussion starter · #149 ·
For fun, I made this short ride video with my GoPro. I have not edited the long traffic light out, but it's still fun.

Discussion starter · #150 ·
So... Has anyone else tried this swap? I would love to see/hear anyone else's experience doing this.
My Boss Supra is still awesome, and I would challenge anyone wanting a V8 to do this!
Let's see the projects

Bassman, I just picked up an '85 Celica, and I'm considering this same swap, depending on how the old 22R-E engine turns out. Just a few quick questions:

1) Do you think a mild 289 or 302 would wreck the stock W58 transmission?

2) What kind of gas mileage are you getting with yours out on the highway?

3) If you had to pick an exhaust system again, what would you choose?

141 - 151 of 151 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.