Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you do this? the only way i can see (82 model) is to make extentions for the mounts to be lower, which would be a pain in the ass. I see a few of you have done this. how did you do it? there are a lot of deals on double din decks on ebay, but i'm afraid they wouldn't fit.

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
You need a really short deck to fit in the bottom slot. Most CD player (especially the newer ones) are too long. My Alpine just barely fits in the top slot.

·
Super Moderator
8,621 Posts
Ah wait you're confusing me. Mine is on the bottom. Like duh! :pat: Geez you can tell I haven't drove my car for like 6 weeks now. If you have the factory brackets for the double DIN deck you should just be able to bolt the stereo into the lower DIN mounting holes and install a standard DIN pocket on top. You need an ISO DIN deck to mount in correctly though.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I had the same problem with my CD player. Chassis was too long to go in the top slot, so the Toyota pocket ended up there, and the deck below it. Really isn't an issue...just makes it easier for me to get to my garage remote & whatever else I put in the pocket.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
I have a Pioneer KEH-P2000 single din AM/FM/CD mounted on the bottom with a Pioneer CDS-P5000 single din CD Player mounted on top using factory brackets.

I DID have may old Pioneer AM/FM cassette on top of the CD player but it didnt really fit well. So when I got the AM/FM/CD player it went on the bottom.

You can get a pocket from www.Crutchfields.com to put on top :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait a minute

the problem is that the mount for the factory double din radio only will mount the cd deck in the top. there is no way to put it in the lower slot with this mount. i've seen alot of you guys do it....is there a different mount you are using? i'm not having a problem filling up the other space.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
That's exactly what I did. Pocket in top space and CD player on bottom - the key is that you need to remove the brackets from the OEM Toyota deck/EQ combo and use them on either side of your pocket/CD player as a unit. The brackets I'm talking about are what keep the factory deck and EQ joined (they're on either side, held on by screws).

The brackets mount on the pocket/CD player first, then you install the two with the same screws that held the OEM units in place.

Here's a great example of how to do it right (Wesley Hetrick's site): http://www.afn.org/~wjh/tsc/supra/stereo/stereo.htm

I wish I had pictures of how this looks...tempted to take my rubber surround off and snap some pics so you see how it's done. You have to play with it a bit to get the fore/aft location correct, so the rubber stereo surround fits correctly - but you'll figure it out I'm sure.

Does anyone have any good pics of what I'm talking about?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts