Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Like this one ?

TiAL Sport Blow Off Valve

For use on turbo-charged and super-charged applications (Paxton, Vortec, etc.). The body and all internal components are CNC-machined from 6061 aluminum alloy. It features a large 1.98 in (50.5mm) valve; we believe this is the largest valve available with the highest flow capacity.
The V-Band design aluminum mounting clamp gives a very clean and unique appearance. The clamp is anodized and uses Stainless Steel hardware for a long lasting, corrosion-free appearance.
The valve seal utilizes a Viton O-ring that is clamped in place to prevent the possibility of sticking to the seat and pulling out. The valve stem and guide are Teflon-lubricated, hard anodize-coated for wear resistance.
The Blow Off Valve also comes with our own machined aluminum banjo-type air fitting and bolt, with over sized 10mm hose barb for quick actuator response. The actuator has a high temp silicone Nomex-reinforced diaphragm for long life.

Sounds good (pun intended ) LOL !!

question : what are the advantages and disadvatages of mounting the bov on the hot vs cold side ? Toyota always place them on the hot side yet 90% of the swaps we see the bov is mounted on the cold side . Were they wrong or does it make a difference what side it's mounted on ?. Please provide pros and cons for the folks that are wondering the same thing :)

·
Registered
345 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I will probably buy two and put one on both sides.

Yes I considered doing that as well ,, I mean why not if you have the space and if your running ceramic's it can't be a bad idea ,,can it ? :ugh: oh yeah your past that stage :)

·
Registered
13,024 Posts
...imagine the direction of airflow. Pressure built up in the IC and piping, with a general direction of "IN", throttle slaps shut, pressure wave builds up and it's gota go somewhere. Do you reverse the flow of air, having running back towards the turbo through the IC etc? ...or do you release it right near the BOV.

That's what I imagine the thinking is, but I don't have any hard data.

...that said, mine's down low on the hot side.

--billyM

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Yes I considered doing that as well ,, I mean why not if you have the space and if your running ceramic's it can't be a bad idea ,,can it ? :ugh: oh yeah your past that stage :)
Teehee :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
...imagine the direction of airflow. Pressure built up in the IC and piping, with a general direction of "IN", throttle slaps shut, pressure wave builds up and it's gota go somewhere. Do you reverse the flow of air, having running back towards the turbo through the IC etc? ...or do you release it right near the BOV.

That's what I imagine the thinking is, but I don't have any hard data.

...that said, mine's down low on the hot side.

--billyM
Thats it and if we had 2 wouldn't we exhaust damn near all the pressure ? But in turn would we create a dead air space between throttle position ? Like a gap in air pressure ,, would it affect the intake air speed ? Just things i've been thinking about since my install and I really don't know much about it but logic suggests the more pressure we can exhaust the better . I really want my turbos to last and if I can spend 200 to save 2000 im willing to learn and give it a try :) Hot side low for me as well..

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
hmmmmmm. this is interesting. so if im running a MAFT gen 1 on my 7mgte i should or should not be venting to atmosphere???
i have a gen 1 maft and have always vented my greddy type s to atmosphere. it is on the cold side of the ic prolly 2ft from the tb. it has been powdercoated red on the top. been trying to sell it for a long time as i want to go with a larger bov as ill be running a larger turbo soon.

most recent pic i have of it installed. you can see the 3in gm maf as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
im using a turboxs rfl on my 5mgte works great , nice sound , best ive used , had a type s and type rs , and raptor , rfl performs way better then the other i have used

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Im not gonna lie, On my 5mgte setup right now I have a ebay knock-off greddy bov.
I got it as a temp just to get my system up and running, and I am very satisfied. I am only running stock boost (and only plan to run stock boost...maybe a tad more)

I got it set up great and it gets air out.

oh, and it has decent sound as well.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
not sure on the size of the valve just that the operation of it is excellent. maybe they will release a larger version of it. I am unsure of the airflow capabilities of it. maybe with it's design, a larger valve is not needed even for higher outpuuts (500hp worth of air pressure). but maybe it is...I have no idea.

larger big-name valves like the tial are tried and true. the synapse blow off valve is fairly new on that market. I am not sure if may people with high power engines have been using them. maybe an e-mail to them asking the flow capabilities of their valve?

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
I use the stock MKIVtt one in both my '85t and '90t. Its a great replacement for the stock 7M one and can hold over 20psi w/ out an issue. I also have a greddy and they work fine, but for the money - I'd just suggest for most to use the 1st gen DSM BOV (same design and layout, can be used to either vent or recirc and can be bought for cheap). I have one for my GSX and it holds 25psi.
I've tried each out on my supra back to back to compare, and there was no real noticeable difference, atleast w/ my stock turbo running low-ish boost... Like Billy and others have said - flow (and what it'll hold) is most important. It should be matched up to each set up; I always get a kick out of some crazy 700+HP MKIV using a single little HK$ super sequential and think the compressor surge is just how they sound...:duh:

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
i like my greddy type s. only reason im selling it is im trying to get the stuff i need to install the gt40 and will need a larger one. if anyone wants a greddy type s lmk. im selling mine wit hthe pipe for $140 shipped obo.

never had probs with it leaking. its adjustable and i even still have the origonal box in storage. the top purple part was powdercoated candy apple red with gold flakes. had it done by the chimp when i bought it new several years ago from him. this thing wit hthe powdercoating and flange wasnt cheap. lol.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts