Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Black or metal centers?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I'm strongly considering picking up a set of Braid Future GT rims for my SDR Redpra. I got to salivating over Karaki's wheels and decided to look into getting a set. I'm wondering whether to get them with the black centers like Karaki's (which look great on his black car):

or to go with the regular metal finish:

I'm wondering which would look better on a super-deep red car. If I had a black car, it'd definitely be the black centers (which also look good on the Blupra).

All opinions considered!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
go with the black centers and polish the lips pretty wheel with cleaning solution so that it shines lick hell

really look good on the SDR...

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
How much are these set of rims gonna cost you?

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About $400 apiece including shipping and lug nuts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
George's rims look so good with those black centers, it hurts.

I guess the decision to be made is whether you want to stay with the silver centers that reflect the overall look of the oem alloys or go with the contrasting black centers to really set off the SDR paint.

If you're going to go with the Braids, I say go all out and get the black centers with the polished lip.

And not to pollute your thread, but why don't you post something in 'Group Buys'? If you do decide to buy a set of Braids, maybe you could save some $ if you got a few more buyers to purchase at the same time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Bob,
If you like the look of Chris E's 85 with the black compmotives then go for the black centers.

If you you do decide to buy these, I'm debating to get these rims also. I'd really like to see more pics or see them in person. Perhpas we could have them shipped together and save some $$ since we are both here in So Cal.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
LOL!!!!!! Now THERE is a novel idea!!!!

Bob!!!!!!! Take the Compomotive's OFF of the 84 Blupra & put them on the SDR. You'll now know what my car looks like, last year @ Vegas (at least the outside)..

Now visualize what the Braid's will look like on there, only the spoke's will be different.

Personally, I think the Black center will blend in w/ the black trim on the SDR.

Bring the SDR to Vegas & I'll have something else to look forward to (the Braid's on you SDR, and the Simmons's on Jeff Sawyers Whitepra).

·
Administrator
7,186 Posts
Def black. Although, its ashame that the majority of mk2s with aftermarket wheels are running black centers. Someone needs to break this trend.....hrm. :? :wink:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Only George, out of the four of us that bought the Braid wheels got the black center. I apologize for not posting pics of mine, been dealing with other car issues and do not have a digi cam. I will try to borrow one and post pics. George, Michael Defonce, and myself have black mk2's, not sure about Christian. (By the way, I thought Christian was in So. Cali). There are pics of Mike's car with the Braid wheels at the Dayton meet on the dyno.

This is all about personal taste. I think that the wheels look great on all of our cars. I personally give a slight edge to the silver center because it seems to stand out and not blend into the car as much. Of course, the only time I saw the wheels on George's car in person, was at night. Anyway, whichever color you decide you will not be disappointed.

If you do decide to go forward with a purchase, please contact Michael Defonce and George. We had one minor glitch in the order that was a result of a measurement misrepresentation on our part. This created a problem with the front wheels sitting snugly on the hub. We each had to get this taken care of individually after we received the wheels and discovered the error. You would just need to make sure the correction is made with Braid so you don't have to go through the same inconvenience. Just to clarify, this was not a problem with Braid, they made the wheels exactly as we requested. Good Luck!

By the way, I made some comments in the Braid group buy thread concerning sizes, you may want to check that out, if you didn't already.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
We already went through the work of getting the image to Braid and having them do the machining. They are available to anyone who wants to purchase a set of their wheels.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
For SDR I would go with black also. The Braids are definitely a nice rim. I got the black chrome centers. Look very close to silver, but with an odd shine to them. Very nice. My car is 95 Corvette blue, and they look pretty sweet on it when I've held it up against the wheelwell. The rims are still intheir boxes and probly will be for a few months. I took some pics but they came out shaky. I need to try it again so I can post them up. I live in N. cali BTW>

Christian

·
Registered
517 Posts
Wow wish I had to make a choice
that is a tough one, they both look good go for the dragon center caps
I have seen gold centers, "not bad at all " Iam sure whatever you choose it will look good
I guess I,ll have to wait and see what you get.
wich ever you get make it look really nice. 8)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm a silver center guy but I do love black centers on black cars. I think that if possible that gun metal look would be really nice also.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
!

OK, I'm certainly willing to talk to the guy about a GP. I'm not going through the same people that George did, but I'd be willing to bet that he'd be happy to entertain a GP deal. I would also LOVE to have a set of those dragon center caps and will ask him who I need to talk to about getting some made.

Who's interested in doing a GP????!??!! I need to know fairly soon.

Chris: LOL!
Actually, rather than taking the Compos off the Blupra, I did actually pull up a pic of your car at the Vegas meet last year to see how I'd like the black centers (which is the way I'm leaning at the moment).

Thanks to all who have rendered opinions so far....!

-- Bob --

·
Registered
237 Posts
Jay, you know nice rims when you see them don't you! I'm a fan of the RC C2's also.

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jason: Nice photoshop work. Still a pretty close call from what I can see....!

Will get back to you all wiith the information re: GP, once I have it.

- Bob -

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Hrmm... I like the Black centers on the SDR. The Silver/Natural finish looks good on Black MKII's (from what I've already seen on pictures that have been posted here)..

Either Black or Silver looks good on Super Silver (for Josh & Jay's benefit). Having seen the black center Compomotive's on Phil Duplers 6MGTE & silver center the Racing Hart C2's on James Razor's Silverpra....

Nice photoshop!!! Makes the visual more clear for me.

Although on the Braids, I see that it does tend to show more Silver, because of the open spokes & the rotors are more visible. Guess I've gotten too used to the closed mesh on my Compomotives.

Tough call indeed!! Have fun deciding Bob!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts