Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had much time to really pull apart the brakes. I don't feel the brakes are as they should be, I can stop the car fine, and lock the wheels if I need to, but I feel there is something lacking. Since none of my parts cars run I have nothing to compare it too.

My brake pedal has to be pushed pretty far down to stop the car, although it does stop with no trouble. How can I tell if my power brake boost is working, is there something visual I can check, or perhaps a volt meter test?

What should I be looking for as far a stock brake preformance?

And YES I have bled the brakes.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Another nice brake upgrade that you can do, is to replace your rubber brake lines (that are near the wheel assemblies) with braided brake lines. Makes for a firmer feel & won't stretch like the rubber ones when they get old.

Either Goodridge, or Techna-Fit sells braided lines for our MKII's. I have the Techna-Fit's & had them installed last year, when I got my brakes rebuilt.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
General rule of brakes.If the pedal is hard and high,with car not running,and goes down farther with while running = vacuum leak or bad booster.If it's the same both running and not,it's someplace else in the system.
HTH

·
Registered
793 Posts
Really?
On all my cars, including the supra, if the engine is off (hence power poost not operating), the pedal is hard and starts very high un the travel. If you are holding the brakes, then start the engine, once the boost kicks in, they sink down and are once again easy to push and start braking farther down on pedal travel. This has been the case on all cars Ive ever tried it on (82 supra, 89 Taurus, 87 camry, 85 Ciera, 92 Skylark, 89 Century). Maybe they all had failing brake boosters, but I dont think so.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Guess I was 1/2 asleep and didn't say it properly.The booster is bad if the pedal goes almost to the floor,or to the floor.YES,ALL will drop a little,but a MAJOR difference in pedal height,is cause for concern.
Guess I will remeber to MORE CLEAR next time,OR,keep my mouth shut.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If The Brake Booster is completely shot the brakes will still work Correct? you would just have to push the pedal further to the floor?? Does this make sense?

And If my Boost is shot has anyone ever replaced one before(pain in the ass or not too bad?)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry, I just wasnt too sure on what you were saying, just trying to clarify...
It will work with no booster, it will just be very hard to push. Ive never replaced a Supra one, but in other cars is itsnt too bad.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know you said that you have bled the brakes, but when you bled them, did you flush the system and replace it with new fluid, or did you just bleed out the system for air? If your brakes have ever faded, then the fluid in the lines is most likely scorched and worthless... which could also be a cause for shitty brakes. Another thing that it could be is the master cylinder. If you've never flsuhed the system, theres sediment that tends to get into the bottom of the master cylinder and can gclog things up. I just pulled my old master cylinder off, and it over 1/4 of crap in the bottom of it! Also, like was said, the brake lines themselves can be a major contributor to soft or spongy brakes...especially after 15 to 20 years of wear! Unless your specifically expereiencing what Shawn or the others are talking about, I would look at the simple things first.. start with a flush of the system, inspect the pads and rotors for glazing or excessive wear, and go from there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts