Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

61 - 80 of 512 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Why do you need pad spacers if you are using a Z32 Caliper on a Z32 rotor? I dont get it!
The only way to use the Z32 discs is to do a lot of machining on the hub and to fabricate a 10mm thick bracket. Yes the Z32 disc has the perfect diameter and width dimensions, but the hat height is too high. I don't really like the idea of machining material away from parts unless there is no alternative. Why weaken anything.

I think there is a better solution than what the Japanese guys did, I thought of using the Z32 calipers before I even knew anyone had already done it. No Toyota 4 piston calipers would fit the stock MK2 strut caliper mount so my next step was to go to Nissan... then Suburu etc.

My idea unfortunately involves a disc width that is some what narrower than the stock Z32 disc, I could not find a suitable wider disc. In order to use a narrower disc it would be safer to use the shims. If the pads wear too much with out the shims the pistons may pop out. A bad thing.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Picked up an 87-91 Acura Legend rotor today and tried mounting it on the MK2 hub. Unfortunately the ID of the rotor was too small to mount over the MK2 hub. The outer edge of the MK2 hub will need to be cut away.

It can be done, but something I don't want to do. I'll have to try another rotor or go with a custom hat.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
how much do they cost and how thick is the adaptor?
william

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
BlackSupra said:
http://www.dba.com.au/5000series/5000.asp?id=6868

Lotus Elise? 280 x 26 (2 piece)

Im sure there was some comment about these disks elsewhere, but i think they were the factory replacement ones being too weak, not these 2 piece ones.
I saw these. The OE discs on the Elise are aluminum to save weight, but don't last.

I thought of these, but the overall disc thickness with the hat is too wide. Also the hat will need redrilling because the center hole is too small and the bolt pattern is 4X95.25. May have issues here as the hat diameter may be too small.

·
Registered
85 Posts
rsdeo said:
Picked up an 87-91 Acura Legend rotor today and tried mounting it on the MK2 hub. Unfortunately the ID of the rotor was too small to mount over the MK2 hub. The outer edge of the MK2 hub will need to be cut away.
Did/would have the friction surface lined up with the caliper and pads? IOW, is the hat the correct height?

Jamie

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Keep the suggestions coming guys. It would be nice to find an OE disc that would fit with little or no mods.

I think the Legend disc is the best bet. If I had a spare MK2 hub I would try machining its outer edge to get the Legend disc on and see if the offset is where I calculated it to be.

Anyone have a spare hub I could machine and try? You will get it back, though not as wide. :lol:

I added a picture on my site of the Z32 caliper mounted to the MK2 strut with a 17" wheel. The picture was taken from behind. You can see all the extra room. Just go to the brake link.

Also the anti rattle spring on the Z32 calipers come in two sizes and are dirt cheap (>$5 each) from the dealer. They come in two widths 26mm (41090-30P01) and 30mm (41090-40P02). If we use a narrower disc the 26mm spring should be fine. I will pick up a set and try them out. One less mod to do.

I have to put this project to one side for a week or two.

I've got some major issues with my dads second gen. '88 Maxima. It's been a good reliable car until now. Not much money has been spent on it for repairs.

Just replaced the rear disc/caliper/pads (second time for the caliper and pads since new) and now the pedal is soft when the engine is running. Master cylinder needs replacing. I replaced the original two years ago with a rebuilt unit. These are a pain to get the reservoir on. Pressed in not bolted on as the MK2. I wonder if the MK2 unit would work?

While bleeding the front brakes I noticed the driver side outer cv boot was ripped open. Still the original from the factory, I guess lubing them twice a year for fifteen years did help. Most FWD cars cv boots don't last that long. Luckily MK2 cv boots seem to last for ever. No twisting, just up and down motion helps.

A/C not working last summer. Second compressor gone.

Tranni is slipping a little. The big one.

Why always does this happen in the winter months?

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
ghostrider said:
rsdeo said:
Did/would have the friction surface lined up with the caliper and pads? IOW, is the hat the correct height?

Jamie
Didn't really look. I'm going to keep the rotor and give the hub assembly to Dean. He has one as a daily driver. I won't know if the hat height is correct or even close until I mount it on the hub. I will try measuring it Friday and get back to you guys. Would you like to see pics of it?

By the way the top of the hat is 7mm thick. So by my guess we would need a 5mm washer between the caliper and caliper mount to move the caliper offset out.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
those pics at the bottom are great. i dont think a spacer would be needed for what i want to do. looks like moving the caliper to the other side of the mount will push t back perfect to clear the 15's i have. then find an apropriate rotor that will bolt behind the hub like stock. might need a spacer there but that is easily made. looks like i need to see how thich the hat on those vw discs are. or would they have to mount from the front as well?
william

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
williamb82 said:
those pics at the bottom are great. i dont think a spacer would be needed for what i want to do. looks like moving the caliper to the other side of the mount will push t back perfect to clear the 15's i have. then find an apropriate rotor that will bolt behind the hub like stock. might need a spacer there but that is easily made. looks like i need to see how thich the hat on those vw discs are. or would they have to mount from the front as well?
william
You could try mounting the VW discs like the MK2 discs mount if you mount the caliper to the rear of the mount face, but again you need to redrill it. The VW disc has a smaller center hole and the bolt pattern is 5X100.

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
i know they have to be redrilled. thats not a problem. what im wondering is how thick is the hat? i can make some measurements and figure out how thick of a rotor spacer to make if i can find that out. guess i can go buy a disc with my next check to check it out if need be.
william

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I tried a set of MKIV calipers today on the MKII that I borrowed.

MKIV calipers come in two flavours, have the same mounting points and are interchangable on the NA and Turbo.

NA 2 piston front and 1 piston rear.
Turbo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear.

Neither will bolt straight up like the Z32 fronts on the MKII.

I was hoping the rear 2 piston calipers would fit, but the caliper mounting points were too narrower by 20mm. Also the the caliper monting flanges are too thick because of the aluminum construction.

I will try other make calipers for the rears to try and get a perfect fit.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just a quick word on the Legend rotors since I had one and redid the brakes by myself. The 87-90 Legends used a 4x114 bolt pattern while the 91-95 used 5x114.
If the later model rotors are the ones you want they'll have to be redrilled, assuming I'm following what's going on correctly. However if you do want to use the later model rotors you can find them for a 94-95 type 2 Legend, not second gen, type 2. These were the cars that used the more powerful 230hp engine and had upgraded brakes to go with the added power. IIRC they were all the 94-95 coupes and the 94-95 GS model sedans. The brakes were thicker and used a two piston caliper, they were also used on the NSX so big brake kits are offered if you go that route.
If you use the ones from the first gen Legends, 87-90, you are pretty well stuck with the stock ones unless someone came out with an upgrade in the last year since I haven't been paying much attention. I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm bored and it's kinda interesting stuff.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
RWDCelicadude said:
Just a quick word on the Legend rotors since I had one and redid the brakes by myself. The 87-90 Legends used a 4x114 bolt pattern while the 91-95 used 5x114.
If the later model rotors are the ones you want they'll have to be redrilled, assuming I'm following what's going on correctly. However if you do want to use the later model rotors you can find them for a 94-95 type 2 Legend, not second gen, type 2. These were the cars that used the more powerful 230hp engine and had upgraded brakes to go with the added power. IIRC they were all the 94-95 coupes and the 94-95 GS model sedans. The brakes were thicker and used a two piston caliper, they were also used on the NSX so big brake kits are offered if you go that route.
If you use the ones from the first gen Legends, 87-90, you are pretty well stuck with the stock ones unless someone came out with an upgrade in the last year since I haven't been paying much attention. I don't know if this will help anyone but I'm bored and it's kinda interesting stuff.
First gen. Legend rotors would be the easiest to fit with the 4X114.3 bolt pattern.

I'll start seriously looking into a disc setup next week once everything settles down.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Brake upgrade for MA61 in Aus

Ladies and Gents,

I am in the process of upgrading the brakes on my MA61 (with 7M-GTE) and thought that I would share with you some of my info so far. :lol:

Pics of the front and rear as well as some written info are in the link below (note that a 5 stud/lug conversion is being done at the same time). But as a written summary ;
Fronts : Z32 300ZX Calipers and Subaru WRX Front Brakes (as those fitted with Brembo Calipers) that are 326mm dia x 30mm thick.
Rear : Late SW20 MR2 rear Calipers and Mercedes SL600 rear discs that re 300mm dia x 22mm thick (note that the internal handbrake drums will also fit these discs with minor mods)

The wheels that I am using are 16"x8" Simmons B45 style rims with an offset of +23mm.

If anyone want's additional info or pics, let me know or visit the site for pics and the link to toymods for the full unfolding story

Cheers :p :lol:

Michael Bachmann
South Australia

http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/brakes /index.html

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&th=21852&start=0&rid=3701&S=08d6c7b239abee395109b92b27af97f5

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
bbaacchhyy

Very interesting information. This is what I like, people trying stuff out.

Why did you use the Z32 front calipers with such large diameter discs? The maximum disc size for those calipers is 280mm. If you want to use larger discs than 280mm then one solution would be to pick up a Twin Turbo 300ZX big brake kit and use your own discs. The calipers will be large enough to be used with larger diameter discs.

This is Jim Kings front and rear BBK that I bought.

What is the measurement of the MR2 rear caliper mounting holes from center to center? Are they 2 piston?

I like the use of the 5 bolt hubs, but no good for us. Those Crowns were never available here in North America so no parts availabilty. Also most modern wheels have a more positive offset than what I desire. Most wheels with the bolt pattern of 114.3X5 are +20 and higher.

I'll finish off the conversion I'm working on next month as things settle down, I'm just too busy right now as school just started.

Keep up the good work and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
He used the Z32 calipers because 1) he had them, but 2) because they were of the same width as the Subaru rotors.

I don't follow what you mean by saying that 280mm is the maximum diameter rotor you can use. The major limiting factor would be a rotor that is too thick or too thin, the calipers themselves have no problems clearing the rotor.

For some more pictures of it you can click here: http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/brakes/index.html

As for wheels, the EL and earlier Ford Falcons we had here means there are quite a few 5x114.3 wheels with a low offset around, a lot more than we can find than for 4x114.3

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for the comments rsdeo and Frank.

I can see why some people think that you cant use a caliper suited for a certain size disc with a larger disc, but the problems are only 2 fold. One is the machined radius for the caliper to cater for the disc diameter, and the outer edge profile of the pads.

In this case the difference is small and does not cause too much of a problem. The problem is exacerbated by using a caliper meant for 240mm and using a 340mm disc for arguments sake. In my application, there is no problem.

The MR2 rear calipers are single piston, and as for the fronts I am using them as they fit and I have them from another project. One bonus is the integral handbrake. Bolt spacing I am not sure of, but when making custom mounts, this is not really an issue.

Re the 5 stud hubs. Someone could always post a set over !!!!! Bearings are easy and would last a lifetime :shock:

The wheels that I am using were fitted to a 300ZX and have an offset of +20mm andfit beautiful at the font especially.

Cheers

Michael B

61 - 80 of 512 Posts