Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

121 - 140 of 512 Posts

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
williamb82 said:
i want it to stay the same cause i plan to keep a nice fat lip on all the wheels. honestly for brakes, ill prolly use this same brake upgrade up front you just posted as final. itll be easir as i wont have to redril the rotor to a 4 bolt pattern.
william

You will loose some lip. The Z32 caliper is so wide that it will rub the spokes if the right wheels are not chosen. My rims will clear the Z32 calipers no problem and being a 8.5" wide rim I still get 2.5" of lip.

That said you a better off getting the later Z31 front hubs because there is machining required and everything just bolts up. Also with a 17x8"wheel you should need an offset of +20 to +25 Lot's of wheels out there that size and offset.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
where? i cant find any. and id like up to 17x10 for the rear. i figure 17x10 +13 will fit perfect in the rear, but if i do the upgrade baachy did prolly +20 will work as the rotor is a lil thicker on the face iirc.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
rsdeo said:
Stock rear MK2 disc is far too small at 266mm in diameter and 18mm thick for the Z32 caliper. The mounting points for the caliper on the rear control arm of the MK2 is ~160mm apart, so a mounting braket would also be required.

stock disc is 266mm diameter and 18mm thick, these discs are 300mm and 22mmthick and are obviously too large in diameter. and the 4mm thinner rotor shouldnt be an issue. thats a max of 2mm thick spacer needed for each pad, and i dont think it would be an issue at all as long as you have the 2psi risidual valves, these calipers should work for the rear as long as we can find a way to mount them. guess i need to buy a pair and see what needs done. im sure i can get it done.

·
Registered
391 Posts
William,

PM PeeWee on these forums, as he is doing a brake upgrade that utilises either the std or GTR version of the R32/Z32 front brakes as well as teh rear discs and calipers.

Still in 4 stud as well.

Redrilling a rotor is very easy, and if careful can be done at home.

I saw the last payment, thanks very much. I'll let you know as soon as they are on their way

Cheers

Michael B

PS - I'll be making sure that they are well packed and protected !!!!

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
bbaacchhyy said:
William,

I saw the last payment, thanks very much. I'll let you know as soon as they are on their way

Cheers

Michael B

PS - I'll be making sure that they are well packed and protected !!!!
Another 5 bolt conversion... cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can post pics of my conversion if you guys are interested. It's the nissan r33 setup, with the 300mm rotors redrilled to 4-stud.

·
Registered
391 Posts
joefoe said:
please do!
Another variant - Great to see some different setups that are now available to the Supra community

How many variants does that make now ? Should provide a list of the key characteristics and the contact for other forum members

Cheers

Michael B

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
i think ive got a setup that will fit inside 15in wheels with 4 piston calipers. should know more this weekend or next. got some more parts to grab.
william

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
williamb82 said:
i think ive got a setup that will fit inside 15in wheels with 4 piston calipers. should know more this weekend or next. got some more parts to grab.
william
Tacoma/4Runner calipers? The mounting holes are 90mm apart on these and require fabrication of brackets.

RX7 calipers I've never measured. but always wondered about.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
i have a set of rx7 calipers from a 2nd and 3rd gen. i know 3rd gen require adaptors, 2nd gen i have no idea as they arnt in my possesion. origonally was trading them for some injectors, but it fell through and the guy still has my calipers. still waiting to get them back. they were packed up when he moved so didnt have access to them. i hope to have them soon. also have another caliper, but only the one, i need to find a passenger side one for it and i think they will work for sure. and the 2d gen rx7 might as well but no idea as of yet.

also, i dont know if im going to fabe some brackets for the 3rd gen rx7 calipers or not, they are the right size, and he bracket wouldnt be hard, but i may sell them and buy some that are a direct fit. these measure 0.9in wide in the groove, so should fit the cressida rotors perfect. they are sumitomo's like the z32 calipers but the mounting bolt holes are wider apart then the z32 calipers. and of coarse they have good pads available.
william

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
williamb82 said:
i have a set of rx7 calipers from a 2nd and 3rd gen. i know 3rd gen require adaptors, 2nd gen i have no idea as they arnt in my possesion. origonally was trading them for some injectors, but it fell through and the guy still has my calipers. still waiting to get them back. they were packed up when he moved so didnt have access to them. i hope to have them soon. also have another caliper, but only the one, i need to find a passenger side one for it and i think they will work for sure. and the 2d gen rx7 might as well but no idea as of yet.

also, i dont know if im going to fabe some brackets for the 3rd gen rx7 calipers or not, they are the right size, and he bracket wouldnt be hard, but i may sell them and buy some that are a direct fit. these measure 0.9in wide in the groove, so should fit the cressida rotors perfect. they are sumitomo's like the z32 calipers but the mounting bolt holes are wider apart then the z32 calipers. and of coarse they have good pads available.
william

I think 2nd and 3rd gen Rx7 calipers have the same mounting dimensions.

I like the Nissan calipers because they are a direct bolt on without adapters,

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
i know, but the 3rd gen calipers would be an easy adapt. ill set it up on a spare strut and see what it needs. if i dont feel like messing with it. ill put all 4 of the calipers and the rear rotors up for sale. thats how i got them.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
can these brakes be used with 15" wheels?

and am i correct in understanding that they will push the front wheels out 10mm further?

just curious what the actual dimensions of the MPV discs are, they look pretty damned beefy... definitely considering this right now, dont need brakes yet, but i will once the 1uz is in.

now to go lookin for pads for the z32, along with finding some calipers.
you guys always find new ways to cost me sooooo much money... tsk tsk.

rsdeo said:
FRONT BBK IS NOW COMPLETE

There is minimum maching required to the hub and no brackets need to be fabricated to mount the caliper to the strut. A great improvement over the stock MA6x brakes, parts are readily availavle anywhere and the maching can be done quickly at a really low price.

If ideal front wheel size is 17x8 +10 offset, this setup will require 17x8 +20 offset. There should be a lot of wheels available in 4x114.3 in this spec.

Parts required as on pics below are.

MA6x hub. Outer edgine machined down to ~143mm.
MPV disc. '93 4WD. Redrilld to 4x114.3.
Z32 Caliper/pads. 30mm caliper.

I have not redrilled the 4x114.3 pattern in the disc yet, but easy to do on any drill press.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
if anyone here can find a front pasenger caliper for a 1990 300zx n/a please let me know how much and how much shipped to 33604. thats the one i need and it has to be a 90 n/a. it had 26mm wide rotors instead of 32mm wide. also, if you can find both for cheap lmk and also if you see both rear 2 piston calipers for cheap. i want to work on getting those on the rear.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
dogstar said:
can these brakes be used with 15" wheels?

and am i correct in understanding that they will push the front wheels out 10mm further?

just curious what the actual dimensions of the MPV discs are, they look pretty damned beefy... definitely considering this right now, dont need brakes yet, but i will once the 1uz is in.

now to go lookin for pads for the z32, along with finding some calipers.
you guys always find new ways to cost me sooooo much money... tsk tsk.
It depends on the wheel design. I did have a set of 15" Work wheels and they fit perfect over the calipers. But why not go 16" or higher?

The MPV disc is 28mm thick and 276mm in diameter. Z32 calipers are not really expensive and available at the wreckers.

williamb82 said:
if anyone here can find a front pasenger caliper for a 1990 300zx n/a please let me know how much and how much shipped to 33604. thats the one i need and it has to be a 90 n/a. it had 26mm wide rotors instead of 32mm wide. also, if you can find both for cheap lmk and also if you see both rear 2 piston calipers for cheap. i want to work on getting those on the rear.

The other calipers are 30mm not 32mm. Will the MPV disc fit in the '90 NA calipers? They just might.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
i dont plan to mount them to the mpv disc. plus, the calipers for the 30mm wide rotors dont work well. they stick too far past the hub and my 15's hit them. id have to have a spacer. ive got a plan for a upgrade that doesnt change the offset for the wheels at all. but i need the other caliper. i only have 1. got it for $20 locally. the other was damaged from the wreck the car was in so couldnt get it.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
williamb82 said:
i dont plan to mount them to the mpv disc. plus, the calipers for the 30mm wide rotors dont work well. they stick too far past the hub and my 15's hit them. id have to have a spacer. ive got a plan for a upgrade that doesnt change the offset for the wheels at all. but i need the other caliper. i only have 1. got it for $20 locally. the other was damaged from the wreck the car was in so couldnt get it.
That is dirt cheap. They usually go for at least $125 each.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
rsdeo said:
That is dirt cheap. They usually go for at least $125 each.
I think William is talking about a pulled part, not a remanufactured one.

William, I found a place that had remanufactured 26mm calipers at about $100, and $30 of it was core. So I'm just planning to pull any condition caliper, send them in as cores and get remanufactured ones for $70 (net) each.

The remanufactured ones on ebay with no core and no guarantee on the remanufacturing... are going for around $150 a pair shipped.

Ken

121 - 140 of 512 Posts