Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

141 - 160 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,005 Posts
i found one in another state for like $35, but i dont know if anyone is local to the junkyard and can go buy and buy it for me and ship it to me. id send them the money of coarse. but i dont want a new rebuilt one. i plan to rebuild them myself after having them powdercoated. anyway, if there is anyone in nc, pa, or va that could check for me thatd be great. pm me.
william
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,751 Posts
Has anyone tried the Subaru 4-pot calipers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
walkerhiboost said:
Has anyone tried the Subaru 4-pot calipers?
They use the same pad as the Z32 calipers, and they weigh a ton as they are made from cast iron. Adding a bigger disc adds to unsprung weight so adding a cast iron caliper makes it worse.

Will most people notice - probably not.

Are they cheaper - might be the deciding factor for some people.

The Z32 calipers are light, strong and reasonably compact, and here in Oz they are pretty cheap and plentiful.

Cheers

Michael B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,005 Posts
well, i got the cressida hubs and rotors today. guy thought the bolts holding the rotors to he hub was the wheel stud so just charged me the price of rotors and core so got the pair for $20. hehehe. now to just get ahold of the 2nd gen rx7 calipers i had and try them out. and also try the z32 26mm wide calipers and check the 3rd gen rx7 calipers even though they would need adaptor brackets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,499 Posts
ok i not going to read through 15 pages again, but was there a brake upgrade that fit under the 14 inch stock wheels that only needed rotor redrilling?

it would be great if someone could compile a list of the all the successful brake conversions with parts needed as bachy had suggested before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
chrisfromda909 said:
ok i not going to read through 15 pages again, but was there a brake upgrade that fit under the 14 inch stock wheels that only needed rotor redrilling?

it would be great if someone could compile a list of the all the successful brake conversions with parts needed as bachy had suggested before.
I'll give it a go from what I know, but may have to wait till next week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,005 Posts
minimum wheel sizie is 15. even wit hthe stock caliper, rotor and wheel hub from a cressida. and any 4 pot caliper upgrade will ned 15in or larger. the one with redrilled rotors required at least 15's and depending on the wheels might need spacers to clear the caliper. im working on one that will fit inside 15in mesh wheels and will post it when ive confirmed it all lines up correctyl. prolly wont be till next week some time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
just read the whole thread yesterday, and today by chance I had a friend's Jaguar XJS sport 1995 model, in my garage, so I took a rough measure of his front rotors, and they seem interesting enough:
dia:290mm, 26mm thick, and have a PCD of 5x114.3, which might be useful for those converting to 5lug.
the hat of the rotor was about 50mm, a bit taller than the standard MKII rear rotor, which I had in hand, and a bit wider. the center hole was i think about 80mm in diameter.
the car came with standard 16" wheels, but I am quite sure that most 15" will fit, provided the caliper is not some extra big design! hope this helps.
cheers,
punky
PS: the rear rotors resemble those of the MKII, but 320-330mm in diam, and center hat(drum) a bit taller and wider... but I am almost sure that with the drum brake set up of a Yaris or some other small toyota, they will fit just fine for the hand brake. otherwise the thickness was 19.5mm. again PCD 5x114.3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,005 Posts
ok, the z32 caliper i have doesnt fit the cressia rotor properly. strange thing is im starting to think i have the caliper for the 30mm rotor instead of 26mm. can anyone that has the z32 caliper for 30mm wide rotor measure how wide the gap is for the rotor near the edge of the caliper where its the groove in the caliper itself and not the pad. maybe the 90 they gave me the caliper off had swapped the wider brakes on or something
 

·
Supra since '86
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
williamb82 said:
ok, the z32 caliper i have doesnt fit the cressia rotor properly. strange thing is im starting to think i have the caliper for the 30mm rotor instead of 26mm. can anyone that has the z32 caliper for 30mm wide rotor measure how wide the gap is for the rotor near the edge of the caliper where its the groove in the caliper itself and not the pad. maybe the 90 they gave me the caliper off had swapped the wider brakes on or something

Late now, but will try to do it tomorrow if I get chance. If I'm not mistaken all Z32 calipers are aluminum except the '90 NA 26mm caliper. Check the caliper you have with a magnet to see if it is steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,005 Posts
um, all z32 calipers are aluminum till 93iirc. then after that they are iron. the 30mm and 26mm 90 calipers were all aluminum. anyhow, i think the 3rd gen rx7 calipers will work best on the cressida rotors. just need ot set them on there and see how hard to make the adaptors. didnt have time today before i had to be at work. ill try it wed.
william
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,937 Posts
TEMPEST said:
Hey rsdeo,
Remind me again why you used the MPV Minivan rotors??? I don't get it as a larger diameter (at least 280mm) will fit those brakes.
I think it was because the height of the hat.
No spacer needed.

Listed as 26mm thick x 276mm so it would fit the 26mm z32 calipers as well. (thanks for the caliper opening measurements)

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts

·
Supra since '86
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
TEMPEST said:
Hey rsdeo,
Remind me again why you used the MPV Minivan rotors??? I don't get it as a larger diameter (at least 280mm) will fit those brakes.
Dangerous Ken said:
I think it was because the height of the hat.
No spacer needed.

Listed as 26mm thick x 276mm so it would fit the 26mm z32 calipers as well. (thanks for the caliper opening measurements)

Ken
Bingo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
i think this is a dumb question but will we need to change brake lines for the mpv disc +z32 caliper?
 

·
Supra since '86
Joined
·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
I just picked up a used set of the 26mm calipers for $220. Pricey, but the only set available locally and I wanted to check them myself before purchasing them.

They are tight on the disc, nothing a few miles of driving will cure. The offset of the MPV disc is off. The caliper needs a 1mm to 2mm spacer to bring it out and to center it on the disc. in conjuction with the later Z31 hub.
 
141 - 160 of 512 Posts
Top