Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Brake conversion

213K views 514 replies 68 participants last post by  Restomod 
#1 · (Edited)
Brake conversion ***Now complete***

Swap #1 with wheel spoke clearance issues.

Hub:1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 uses a floating disc and is 4x114.3. Must change studs to 12x1.5mm and center bore is 66.1mm, machine down to 60.1mm. Hub reg is 68mm. Will clear MPV disc.

Caliper:1990 to 1996 Infiniti Q45 2 piston.

Disc:1992 to 1995 4WD MPV redrilled to 4x114.3.

Napa Online

"# of Bolt Holes : 5
Bolt Circle Diameter : 4.5"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.86"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.02"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.1"
Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
Center Hole Diameter : 2.84"
Height : 2.52"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
Vented / Solid : Vented
"

Rock Auto

Swap #2

Hub:1990 to 1992 Infiniti M30 uses a floating disc and is 4x114.3. Must change studs to 12x1.5mm and center bore is 66.1mm, machine down to 60.1mm. Hub reg is 68mm. Will clear MPV disc.

Caliper:1990 to 1996 Z32 Nissan 300ZX Turbo or 1991 to 1996 300ZX NA 4 piston.

Disc:1992 to 1995 4WD MPV redrilled to 4x114.3.

Napa Online

"# of Bolt Holes : 5
Bolt Circle Diameter : 4.5"
Brake Rotor Diameter : 10.86"
Brake Rotor Discard Thickness : 1.02"
Brake Rotor Thickness New : 1.1"
Brake Rotor Type : Disc Brake Rotor Only
Center Hole Diameter : 2.84"
Height : 2.52"
Maximum Lateral Runout : .004"
Vented / Solid : Vented
"

Rock Auto

Will add more later.

12-09-2003

Guys working on a front brake conversion for the MK2 that will be more affordable. Almost there. Will fit 15" and bigger wheels. There may be some limitations though.

Here is a sneak peek at it. The cardboard is temporary and is there for a reason, I'll explain later.

I should have everything worked out by the new year. Just waiting for parts, holidays to start and exams to finish.

Once completed I will post the conversion on the web so anyone can do it themselves.

See less See more
#3 ·
rsdeo said:
Guys working on a front brake conversion for the MK2 that will be more affordable. Almost there. Will fit 15" and bigger wheels. There may be some limitations though.

sounds like 15" wheels, so one size up, which sucks, but 15s are cheaper than 16s, and its rare to get a brake upgrade that doesnt involve wheels larger than 14".

itll be nice to see upgraded brakes for those of us on more of a budget... i mean, id love to get the JDK kit, but its way out of my league price wise.

#5 ·
You're not going to get much of an upgrade if you keep your 14" wheels - the brakes are pretty much as big as they can get already! Sure you could upgrade to a multi-piston caliper, but that won't address the real problem with Mk2 brakes - inadequate heat dissipation. If you want to dissipate more heat, you need larger rotors; if you want larger rotors (well, any more than a few mm) you'll have to get rid of the 14" wheels. :(

#6 ·
The disc diameter will be slightly larger, as will be the width from stock. By increasing both slightly I'm hoping to get the same effect as just increasing the diameter.

The whole idea behind this conversion was to do something that would be less expensive, that almost anyone could do with a little work themselves.

If this works out well I'll try something with the rears.

There will be limitations though.

#8 ·
i already started something like that, those are the same calipers im using. anyhow, i just need to call coleman racing and get rotors made. they wont be cheap but i am doing it to fit behind the 15x7 are's im gonna put on the blue car. my black one is getting my 16's so ill just get jim kings bbk.
william

#9 ·
I have both front and rear BBKs, though not installed on my MK2 yet. Really nice job.

With this conversion I'm trying to use as few parts as possible and many off them will be off the shelf. The parts that can't be readily bought are designed to be easily built at very low cost and are reusable. I just made four of the custom parts for free. The two remaining custom parts to complete the project should not be too costly. If things are going to be expensive then the jdk kit would be a better solution.

There is a lot of variations in the design and the person wanting to complete it themselves will choose for themselves which direction to go.

This project really goes hand in hand with another one I have already completed.

Some 14" wheels may fit, but again limitations exist. You can't get anything for free. It won't be for everyone, but a good alternative.

I will try ordering my discs tomorrow and once they arrive a major part of the puzzle should fall into place.

#13 ·
if its been done, when and where? also, do you have pics? ive seen them on mkiii's but not an mkii. and yes, they are 300zx calipers.
william

#14 ·
Toyota Pickup, 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra, Land Cruiser and MK4 all have 4 piston calipers on the front, a lot of cars do. Even old late 60s american iron like Imperials.

Now more importantly I have to do a lab exam. Configure some routers... access lists, EIGRP, PPP, DHCP, NAT/PAT.....

I'm getting tired of Cisco class. Last one thankfully. Finished Netware yesterday. No more networking classes after this, just straight programming for a while then some hardware.

#15 ·
rx7 gxl and turbo ii's have them as well. i had a pair but traded them for theother 2 550's i needed to a friend.
william

#16 ·
williamb82 said:
if its been done, when and where? also, do you have pics? ive seen them on mkiii's but not an mkii. and yes, they are 300zx calipers.
william
I've known about this for quite some time now. The japanese fellows have been doing it in japan on celica xx's and cresta's (cressidas) for years. It requires a bit or machining and fabrication...but not that much. I would have posted some information about it since I can translate some japanese, but it seems like everytime I post something on here about some new item or mod I found on a japanese website, I get a less than entheusiastic response (especially when it comes to the suspension stuff).

This is on a cresta using R32 skyline calipers and rotors which are bigger than the Z32's rotors. But since thats not cost effective over here in the states....Z32 300zx calipers and rotors will work the same, using the same methods.

http://www.hirostyle.com/gx71/mainte/mainter32break02.htm

Basically theres 5 main things...

1: Lathe the hub to accommodate the Z32 or skyline rotor.
2: Cut a "Hub centric ring" for the hub and rotor out of tubing.
3: Install longer wheel studs into the hub.
4: Get the rotor professionally drilled to work with a 4x114 bolt pattern.
5: Fab a 10mm spacer for the caliper mounting point....which can easily be done with certian method, or can be machined.

Mount the modified rotor over the modified hub & hub centric ring, mount the caliper with the 10mm spacer.

Viola...better braking for little cost. But the only difference from what rsdeo is describing is that you may need 16 inch wheels for this to fit with safe clearance. The only downside (if you see it as a downside) is that the Z32 rotor mounted over the hub acts as an 8mm spacer. So you have to figure that out yourself when you're picking an offset for you new wheels.

You can also buy pre existing "Big brake kits" for the z32 and drill the rotor with a 4x114 bolt pattern. And mount them onto your supra using the modified hub and caliper spacer. So there is the option for really BIG brakes there if you need it. But you are sure to need some BIG wheels for it to work.

I have had a set of aluminum z32 calipers (theres cast iron ones too) and rotors sitting in my closet for months. I just need some damn wheels so I can get this crap done. Dont know if its worth going through all the trouble of lathing and drilling yet, but I'll find out when I get some 16's.

EDIT: And I almost forgot...you need longer caliper mounting bolts.

Oh..and check out these custom coilovers and RCA's....40mm!

#17 ·
i dont understand what exactly has to be lathed. can you explain that?
william

#18 ·
The outer edege of this has to be lathed so that it can fit inside the "Hat" of the z32 rotor.

Un-touched OE stock supra/cresta hub.

Heres the cleaned up and lathed product. Note material has been removed from the outer edge.

Heres the hub nice and painted with the "Hub ring" installed.

Heres how the rotor should look mounted to the hub.

#19 ·
oh, ok. i didnt notice that. i have an extra set of mkiii rotors. i wonder if they will fit the mkii hubs without machining. ill have to chack on that. thanks for the info, this is exactly the kind of info i needed. btw, whats the smallest wheels that will fit with the 300zx rotors and calipers? i doubt the stockers will but will 15's fit?
william

#22 ·
the 15's i have have plenty of padding. they actually clear the hub by alot more then my enkei's. i theink this will work for the blue car when i put the 15's on it. i still want the bbk for the black car. the enkei's dont have as much clearance.
william

#26 ·
Easier to do this....

1, Mount the Z32 caliper on the MK2 strut. It fits so perfect it's scary. Even the stock MK2 mounting bolts have the exact same thread pattern and length needed.
2. Buy discs in 11" diamter from AP Racing (280x25), Coleman (11X1) or Wilwood (11X.81). Again a perfect diameter fit for the stock Z32 caliper and pads fitted to the MK2.
3. Fabricate two hats that are flat with a large center hole for the hub center, four holes (100x4) for mounting it to the hub and finally the outer holes to mount the disc. Yes there are VW discs, but the hat is just a little too tall and you will need to machine the inside of the hub and VW disc.
4. Fabricate four shims shaped like the pads because you are using a narrower discs than the stock Z32. The thickness of the shims depends on the disc width used.
5. Use a 1" adapter and mount wheels that are the appropriate offset, because the caliper is incredibly wide. Or find wheels with a thick hub center (like these http://ca.geocities.com/mk2supra1985/wheels ) . Notice on the Japanese web site they used adapters as well.

I posted a picture of the shims I made.

http://ca.geocities.com/mk2supra1985/brakes

My 16" to 17" wheel conversion is the reason I said it goes hand in hand with another project I did. I already have the adapters. Easy to find wheels if you use the right adapter.

I wanted to do the least amount of machining possible. The shims are easy to make, the hats are the only thing that may cost you money at a machine shop. These parts never wear, so you never have to replace them. Every other part (pads and discs) is easy to buy and replace. The less we take off (machine) the less strength we give up in the stock parts.

That's why I didn't go the route of using the stock Z32 rotors. Remember the stock hubs have no races so if they wear early you will have to resurface the new ones before installing them. An adapter is needed to hold the caliper and still an adapter for mounting the wheel. The discs need to be redrilled (with both bolt patterns on the discs there may be balancing issues).

I will post everything I do once I complete the project.

I will be trying the stock MK2 wheel and tyre setup with a 1" adapter on a MK2 to see just how it fits. If remember correctly the wheel did go around the big caliper... just.

There are so many variations on completing this project. That's why I didn't want to say anything till it was figured out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.