Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having an issue with my porterfield front brake pads. The inside pad doesn’t fit into the caliper bracket.

Has anyone else had this issue? I’m guessing I just need to get the pad worn down. Any suggestions for ways to do that?

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I've seen this even with OEM pads on some cars. Nothing a bit of quality time with a file won't fix.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are they reversed and inside-out by any chance?

Pad thickness is not problem. That little tab should slide into matching opening in brake-caliper. It's not, so it's actually hanging on top and pads aren't even touching rotor. Reducing pad-thickness won't do anything, you'll just increase gap between pad and rotor because hanging backing-plate won't be any closer. Take pads off and post photos of empty caliper, both inside and outside.

You may have been sent wrong pads.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
A belt sander w/ 80 grit will take it down. Wear a respirator! Do it outside. Leather gloves, too.
After that, the pad will NOT be very flat and it will take a while to fully seat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok, I think I figured out what problem is here. The little angle (red) between pad and outer edge of rotor was clue that pad wasn't aligned properly. Here's what you want to do:

1. there's little spring on inside edge of pad that needs to be compressed. So push pad down towards axle to compress this spring.

2. at same time, push pad to opposite side of pad-opening in brake-caliper.

3. this should open up slot for little pad arm. Push pad sideways towards rotor and it should slide down into slot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts