Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to upgrade my brake system. i use my car mostly for daily driving but i would like to attend some autocross events in the future. my car is all stock with the stock engine.

rotors: brembo oem, 935 slotted, 935 porterfield, kvr, toyota oem.

anyone try the 935 slotted rotors before? whats the heat treated stuff on the 935 porterfield rotors? which one would you guys recommend?

brakes: pbr metalmaster, pbr deluxe, axxis metalmaster, kvr carbon fiber, porterfield r4s, hawk?, carbotech?, performance friction z?, ebc, toyota oem.

whats the difference between the pbr metalmasters and the pbr deluxe? are axxis metalmasters the same as pbr's? where do they sell hawk, carbotech, performance friction z pads for our cars? or do they even make them?

what can i do about the calipers? just rebuild kits from toyota? also what kind of brake fluid is good and where can i buy some? or will the stuff from places like kragen, autozone, pep boys work fine?

since i'll be changing the brakes i guess i should change the wheel bearings too? what parts do i need for this? front inner and outter bearings, rear inner and outter bearings, races comes with bearings? inner seal front and back? and cotter pin? where can i get these from? toyota?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
i am also looking to upgrade my brakes further. i did the factory brembo rotors front and rear with KVR pads all around. i also got the Technafit stainless steel braided brake line kit. all this was from rabidchimp.com. this combo works better then stock and holds up to a good amount of abuse. i have some slight mods to my motor( intake/ exhaust/fuel) but im going the 7m rout so i need to go bigger brakes but cant brake the bank for the BBK. hope this helped a bi. let me know if you find something else. also sticky has a great write up on a credessa upgrade.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
83restomod: i think the cressida brake upgrade required 15" and bigger rims, i dont want to buy new rims right now so i cant do that.

williamb82: i did use search but i cant find anything for hawk, carbotech, or performance friction z brake pads. were these for big brake kit pads or stock caliper pads?

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
hawk makes pads for the stock mkii brakes and the z brakes and the cressida brakes. performance friction makes them for the z and the cressida brakes. never heard of carbotech. kvr makes carbonfiber pads for the mkii though.

·
crashtest dummy
1,564 Posts
PBR and Axxis are the same - Metal Masters are the performance line, Deluxe are just good quality OEM replacements.
PBR, Performance Friction and KVRs are all very similar (perfomance and cost wise), but I personally like PBRs the best of the bunch (I've used them all).
There is or was portafields or hawk pads available for the MKII - but they cost twice as much as the PBRs, and I dont think their 'street' pads are twice as good.
There are many write ups on this stuff all over the forums...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I had Carbotechs on my WRX.....AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I run the brembo oem rotors and the KVR carbon fiber pads.

They are great. I would certainly recomend them.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Front rotors say A-4953 25289 Made in Mexico on the box
Rear rotors say 25379 09.5706.10 Made in Italy on the box
Rear pads say 0995, FTC-134-EE D245-7128 on the pads
Front pads say FTC-134-EE-D240-7129 on the pads

does it look like they sent me the correct parts?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Front rotors say A-4953 25289 Made in Mexico on the box
Rear rotors say 25379 09.5706.10 Made in Italy on the box
Rear pads say 0995, FTC-134-EE D245-7128 on the pads
Front pads say FTC-134-EE-D240-7129 on the pads

does it look like they sent me the correct parts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pads and rear rotor looks familiar..

Front rotor? are you kidding me? Nissan D21 huh??
HOW is that going to fit anything..
09.5055.10 ?? is'nt it ?? sure looks like it..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pads and rear rotor looks familiar..

Front rotor? are you kidding me? Nissan D21 huh??
HOW is that going to fit anything..
09.5055.10 ?? is'nt it ?? sure looks like it..
Nissan D21? where do you see this?

You are going to change your brake lines aren't you?

Regards,
James R
the last owner said he installed some stainless steel braided brake lines... i guess if they still look ok ill keep using them. these shouldnt need replacing very often right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i need to upgrade my brake system. i use my car mostly for daily driving but i would like to attend some autocross events in the future. my car is all stock with the stock engine.

rotors: brembo oem, 935 slotted, 935 porterfield, kvr, toyota oem.

anyone try the 935 slotted rotors before? whats the heat treated stuff on the 935 porterfield rotors? which one would you guys recommend?

brakes: pbr metalmaster, pbr deluxe, axxis metalmaster, kvr carbon fiber, porterfield r4s, hawk?, carbotech?, performance friction z?, ebc, toyota oem.

whats the difference between the pbr metalmasters and the pbr deluxe? are axxis metalmasters the same as pbr's? where do they sell hawk, carbotech, performance friction z pads for our cars? or do they even make them?

what can i do about the calipers? just rebuild kits from toyota? also what kind of brake fluid is good and where can i buy some? or will the stuff from places like kragen, autozone, pep boys work fine?

since i'll be changing the brakes i guess i should change the wheel bearings too? what parts do i need for this? front inner and outter bearings, rear inner and outter bearings, races comes with bearings? inner seal front and back? and cotter pin? where can i get these from? toyota?

What kind of autocross are you planning to join? Is it a street/spirited driving or hpde/road race course/racing/street performance?

If you are going to street/spirited driving, I suggest using an unslotted, non-drilled rotor, these rotors will give you the best performance/price ratio for street and spirited driving. A smooth rotor has the advantage that it can be resurfaced if need be and lends itself to a longer life due to that. The other advantage is that they are usually the least expensive option when upgrading. Not all rotors are created equal however, so be sure to find a quality non-slotted rotor in the aftermarket, the brand I would suggest is Mountain rotors made in Japan that can be found for most Japanese cars. For street/spirited driving, you'll want pads that are good from a cold to med temps, Ceramic Pads are good for this such as Hawk HPs or Hawk Ceramic pads, these will give you low dust, low noise and great street and spirited driving performance.

For hpde/road race course/racing/street perfomance, it would get a bit tricky, here you will want to use a slotted rotor as they help dissipate heat and keep your pads smooth by cleaning them with the slots. Slotted rotors usually come in a few varieties of materials such as plain iron as well as upgraded or treated iron mixtures. The slots will allow additional cooling and upgraded materials will help prevent cracking. For pads, if this car will be used on the street a pad similar to Hawk HP+ are a great compromise between a pad that needs to be warmed up before use a street pad. The Hawk HP+ pads will dust more than the HPs and will be noisier, however they provide superior stopping ability. Hawk Blue or Black pads should only be used on a car that is a track only car as they need to be heated up and need to keep having heat added to them or they will rip your rotors down in a few miles.

Here are my quick picks for Street/Spririted Driving - Hawk HPs, Hawk Ceramic, Akebono Pro-Act Ceramics DBA Standard, Mountain Rotors.
For HPDE/Road Race Course/Racing/Street Performance, on the other hand - Hawk HP+, Hawk Blue, Hawk Black DBA 4000 Series, DBA 5000 Series
You could modify your Toyota Brake Booster with my quick picks.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
As long as the SS lines are intact then you shouldn't need changing.

Try Performance Friction brake fluid. And make sure to bleed the brakes before each event.

Regards,
James R

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As long as the SS lines are intact then you shouldn't need changing.

Try Performance Friction brake fluid. And make sure to bleed the brakes before each event.

Regards,
James R
where do they sell performance friction brake fluid? i bought this stuff from kragen http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=51, is this fine or is this for abs only? also where can i get some atf automatic transmission fluid? i put some power steering fluid in long time ago and didnt know i need atf dexron 3 or 4.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Valvoline is fine. Performance Friction can be found at Autozone. It's the equivalent to Ford DOT brake fluid which many local road racers swear by. I don't recommend synthetic unless you intend to flush your brakes every week. They tend to absorb moisture quicker than dino oils. And moisture in your brake fluids equal spongy or no brakes.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Syn Power is good stuff. Your front rotors are wrong every thing else is right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts