Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

broke the stud

949 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SilverMk2 
#1 ·
i broke the stud while changing my brakes, do i have to take apart the whole axle assembly to get it out? now im scared the other studs will break too. should i just bang em all out and change them all?

#2 ·
No you dont have to take apart the whole assembly. Just remove the caliper bracket and rotor and remove one of the parking brake shoes, I think its the trailing one that is the easiest since its not connected to the cable. Then just rotate the axle and pound them out one at a time and change them get a regular m12x1.5 bolt and some washers and use that to pull the new studs into the axle flange, use some anti seze to avoid galling of the metal and to provice some lubrication. Use a prybar to hold the axle flange still while you tighten the bolt. As to whether replace them all or not I dont know, I would just replace the ones that break if it were me, or if they are breaking because someone crossthreadded them then I would replace them all because they are junk.

#4 ·
In the front you have to remove the rotor to get the new stud in. So you have to remove the hub, and remove the caliper and pad holder. Pretty easy to do assuming you can get the rotor bolts loose (impact helps).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.