Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm wanting to build my own 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 cat-back system using a Brullen Muffler and tip(s) but need some dimensions before I buy the muffler.

I cant see in the pics from the MK2 group buy awhile ago if the dual tips are straight or angled??

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
They can be either. You would just have to let Richard know when you phoned in your order.

Looks like the majority of us asked for the straight exhaust tips. At least myself, Dean Anderson, Josh Rapier, and Bob Sully (on both of his MKII's), asked for the straight tips. Can't remember what everyone else ordered.

Here's something you might want to inquire on!!! Ask Richard if the straight tips come in a longer length!! I got used to the longer length that was on the HKS pipes, but was slightly bummed that the Brullens had shorter tips. I "thought" the Brullen website listed longer straight tips.

One other thing to watch for. Check the location/length of the hanger where the exhaust tips exit underneath the bumper cover. For some reason that only happened on my exhaust, the hanger was not quite long enough, thus one of the tips was touching part of the bumper cover (where it has that little curve that is supposed to clear the exhaust pipe's). This eventually melted part of the bumper in that area. Since at the time, that rear bumper cover had a crack in it & I was going to replace it (w/ another SDR cover from a junkyard), I cutaway part of the "curved" area on the replacement cover, so that the tips were not touching. No more melting plastic. :D

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Actually, mine are angled. Only a very slight angle cut, about 10 degrees. Slightly longer at the top than at the bottom, but hardly noticeable.

And yes, if you could get the tips a bit longer, that would look good too. Richard made them the length they are to try and make them a bit less noticeable, for the non-ricy, stealth look. If I were getting another one made, I'd ask for tips about 2 inches longer, or maybe make the piping leading to the muffler 2 inches longer to make the tips stick out a bit more.

Take a look at some pics of the Brullen system here:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/deanjanderson then click on the photo album called "New Exhaust System".
The muffler itself is 14 inches long by 8 inches wide. Let me know if you need any other info Arch.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I actually asked for the angled tips and got the straight ones when it arrived. Oh well. :? Mine has started to rattle somewaht now. Have to find out exactly what it is.

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys does Richard still make a complete Mk2 exhaust system w/muffler??

·
Boost-a-holic
2,560 Posts
AJ: Yes, he certainly does...I bought a full 2.5" cat-back from him for my '85 in May....$800 cdn (around $500 US).

HTH -- Bob

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob Thanks for the info!!

Did you find an improvement in hp/power with the 2.5"??

Malibyte said:
AJ: Yes, he certainly does...I bought a full 2.5" cat-back from him for my '85 in May....$800 cdn (around $500 US).

HTH -- Bob

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
George,

Major Coolness!!!! The tips do come out to the edge of the bumper & don't stick out!!! Excellent!! That's how it was w/ the HKS tips.

Archie, Yes, Richard does still have the full catback exhaust & it "should" be available. Last time I checked, it's not listed on the Brullen website, you have to phone Richard for it. Should still be available in the 2.25", the 2.50", and a 3.00" for those going turbo.

·
Premium Member
8,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris, Thanks for the reply!!

I think its time to retire my HKS exhaust into the garage.

And I just picked up a set of "Red Clear" TRD wires for historical purposes.

·
Super Moderator
7,300 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
George,

Major Coolness!!!! The tips do come out to the edge of the bumper & don't stick out!!! Excellent!! That's how it was w/ the HKS tips.

Thanks...that what i basically asked him...i wanted the tips to be flush with the bumpber...i think they did a great job. :D

If anyone has any question that you'd like me to ask lmk...they're 5mins from my house, i can either go by or call to save you ld fees...unless they have a 1800# i don't know about.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
George,

Unless things have changed since Dean did the initial GP a few years ago, Brullen does not have a 1-800 number. so for us calling from the States, it's long distance.

DOOOOOH!!!!! You're 5 minutes away???? This would definetely come in handy!!!!! Richard is impossible to get ahold of, via phone!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,300 Posts
Well...if anyone wants to try to start another group buy, i'd be more than willing to do all the running around. Please let me know guys, i gotta talk to Richard about a few things in the days/weeks to come so setting up a group buy is no problem. Through my little ebay business I've managed to get shipping discounts through Canada Post which will hopefully reduce the shipping costs....so please let me know. Now's the time to do it as it's getting colder up here and Richard might be hungry for some business.

Later boys,

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Count me in for a 2.5 inch piping, thank you.

I'm exhausted.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
7,300 Posts
Guy's...i'm going to be swamped with paper work for next few days, so if you guys feel there's enough interest, start a new thread in the group buy section with a poll to see what sort of numbers we're looking at. I wasn't in on the orginal group buy, so I have no idea what the minimum #'s were. After my works done I'll head to Brullen next week sometime if there's enough interest. If not, i can still call/pop by if anyone has any questions you'd like me to ask Richard.

Later,

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I'm interested in the buy if you guys through with it.

I want 3" diameter and the tips to be 1" further out than the rear bumper (just like my ANSA was set up on my '84). I love the tip design that Dean has.

One question though. Does the company that make these systems just use one set of tools on stainless parts or also use the same tools on plain steel? If so even though the parts are stainless you will see rust on them.

I hope they don't mix tools with different tubing material.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Count me in for a 3" for my 7mgte. and a 2.5 for the 5m

1 - 20 of 24 Posts