Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am terrified of heights, those people working must either be crazy or being payed well or both. Just looking at the pics scares me lol

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Incredible, but how are they paying for it? Isn't there talk of Dubai's money problems and possible bankruptcy such as Iceland.

The biggest problem with this type of building is renting out the space. As you can imagine there is a lot floor space there.

Great pics though.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I was actually reading about this a couple weeks ago. If you look through history, the tallest building is always a little bit taller than the last. I'm thinking these guys didn't want that. This thing towers.

They wouldn't call it the Worlds tallest building even after the structural part of it was done. Everything had to be finished. Apparently the Carpet and junk is in.

Awesome building. I still think taipei looks the coolest.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
is there a hi res shot of the buildings above the clouds? thats badass. its crazy insane tall. i remember being at the top of the WTC and being freaked out how high up your were.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
it must take the crane operator 30 minutes or more to get to his office up there. and going out for lunch is out of the question.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome building. I still think taipei looks the coolest.
Agreed... Taipei 101 looks very cool, Petronas too.

I hate the design for the NYC Freedom tower.... hate it.

Im just so very partial to the original WTC Towers.... I was able to see them from my office window everyday.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The portable toilet is on 1st floor. Plan ahead if you work there.

This is all possible due to oil money and nice hard soil foundation. I bet you on a windy day, you will feel the structure sways if you are on a high floor. Have you heard the story of tower of babel? lol

·
Registered
13,184 Posts
The wide-spread worker abuse in Dubai is disgusting.

The question is always asked "how do they pay for it?" ...well when you pay the people working on it pennies a day, give them zero rights, and otherwise take advantage of other human beings, things are pretty cheap.

article said:
Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise it is hell," he says. Four years ago, an employment agent arrived in Sahinal's village in Southern Bangladesh. He told the men of the village that there was a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (£400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000 takka (£2,300) for the work visa – a fee they'd pay off in the first six months, easy. So Sahinal sold his family land, and took out a loan from the local lender, to head to this paradise.

As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat – where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees – for 500 dirhams a month (£90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

Sahinal was in a panic. His family back home – his son, daughter, wife and parents – were waiting for money, excited that their boy had finally made it. But he was going to have to work for more than two years just to pay for the cost of getting here – and all to earn less than he did in Bangladesh.

He shows me his room. It is a tiny, poky, concrete cell with triple-decker bunk-beds, where he lives with 11 other men. All his belongings are piled onto his bunk: three shirts, a spare pair of trousers, and a cellphone. The room stinks, because the lavatories in the corner of the camp – holes in the ground – are backed up with excrement and clouds of black flies. There is no air conditioning or fans, so the heat is "unbearable. You cannot sleep. All you do is sweat and scratch all night." At the height of summer, people sleep on the floor, on the roof, anywhere where they can pray for a moment of breeze.

The water delivered to the camp in huge white containers isn't properly desalinated: it tastes of salt. "It makes us sick, but we have nothing else to drink," he says.
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Tallest building in the world? Sure. ...was it built with respect to basic human rights? Oh hell no.

--billyM

·
Registered
311 Posts
wow last time i was there they were only at the base working on it. wild wahi world was awesome to and they're malls put ours to shame. and i got to drink beer and ride a camel in the midle of the desert.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Unhappy workers = poor build quality. No thanks.

The wide-spread worker abuse in Dubai is disgusting.

The question is always asked "how do they pay for it?" ...well when you pay the people working on it pennies a day, give them zero rights, and otherwise take advantage of other human beings, things are pretty cheap.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

Tallest building in the world? Sure. ...was it built with respect to basic human rights? Oh hell no.

--billyM

·
Super Moderator
8,565 Posts
I bet it sucks to be a window cleaner for that thing...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts