Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed bushings on their car.

Which ones are difficult?
Any special tools?

Any info would be appreciated.

I have done springs, coilvers, shocks, sway bars, strut bars all myself.

I am worried about how hard it would be to remove teh old bushings without special tools.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
I would take the suspension arms off and have someone press the new bushings in for you. You might want to call around to shops to find one before you start. When I did the rear suspension arms I had trouble finding a shop that would do work on loose parts for legal reasons blah blah blah (damn lawyers!). I ended up having to take them to a shop 50 miles away to have it done. All the suspension arm bushings front and rear are press fitted. All of the other sway bar, strut rod bushings etc are easily removeable. In the front I just bought new arm assys from Toyota (130ish each from Jeff).

·
Registered
32 Posts
The only bushings I have not been able to get to are the rear control arm bushings. The inner bolts are just way too tight on my car to get them off. Otherwise, the ball joints on the front took a bit of work to get the snap ring off but once that came off, they just popped right out of the lower control arms. I blowtorched the control arm bushings out, which took about 5 or 10 minutes, then rigged up a C-clamp and a couple small blocks of wood to press the new ones in. I left them clamped for an hour or so after pressing them all the way in to let the rubber "settle." Tie rod ends came off pretty easy after dousing them in PB blaster. I had to get a tie rod end puller to remove them from the piece the strut tube mounts to. Strut/sway bars were cake. It was a time consuming process doing the front end, but nothing worse than a few seized/stripped bolts.

tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts