Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

buyer/seller rating section

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  TOYMAN321 
#1 ·
I wasn’t paying attention to the most recent load of BS in that section, but I did go in there and just read it. I myself was in a similar situation where I had made a payment and not received a my product and had no contact. I made a post about the situation and that I had not received my product after months had gone by and got my head ripped off for it. When it came down to it the seller agreed with me and did understand why I was upset and things got worked out.

IM NOT WRITING THIS TO START A FIGHT WITH ANYONE... but if every time someone posts something negative about anyone they get their heads ripped off because it's "destroying the community we have created" (and we have a great community here) then what is the point of the section? If this section is destructive then why do we still have it?

Is there a way to go to an eBay rating system where you can post "positive, negative, or neutral" without leaving a post? Maybe something along the lines of using out "poll" feature but blocking out the ability to post a comment?

Just an idea, Im not trying to start an arguement over this, just trying to prevent future ones.

#2 ·
i think the whole point of the section was to let people know who the good sellers/buyers are and to let people know of scammers that they may have come across. i guess occasionaly a sale goes wrong and we wind up with a post like the most recent one your talking about.

#4 ·
when a sale goes wrong, someone is pissed off because they lost out on something and we get bad posts. i think the main problem is "deals". when i buy an item online, i pay in full and expect the item i paid for, same goes for when i sell something, i expect full payment and then i will send out the product. when you make a deal like, "ill pay you now and take part of the item, and you can send me the rest later", we wind up with problems. in general, if we avoid these deals, we wont have posts like that. i can remeber two posts on here that were similar to the deal i just described, and we wound up with bs posts.

anyway, thats my take on the whole situation.

#5 ·
if the administrators can handle it, how about 2 sections. One section lists members names in alphabetical order and for each member lists the names of other members who've reported one or more SUCCESSFUL transactions in say green and the names of other members who've reported bad transactions, say, in red. All the bitching and moaning goes in the second section which only has to be read if/when u want to check out a potential buyer/seller.

The first section can be accomplished by adding the info to each members bio so no new first section is really needed.

#6 ·
no the entire point of the section is to let people know of good or bad experiences with sellers, there are not supposed to be other insignificant posts from other members. The idea is for the buyer/seller to leave comment of their experience with a certain buyer/seller. The buyer/seller that one is refering to in their post can respond but noone else is supposed to. So Toyman if you are still concerned i would shoot a pm or email to the administrators.

#7 ·
We want to minimize the work for the administrators. So, if I could go to another members bio and click on a good transaction button then my name would be listed as a satisfied client on his bio. If, I changed my mind due to a future transaction then I, and only I, could reverse or remove that affirmation by clicking. (Same for bad transaction). Anyone who wants to check him out could pm me or look in the bitching section for presently occurring bad transaction. Once it's set up the admin's out of it.

#8 ·
StanS said:
We want to minimize the work for the administrators. So, if I could go to another members bio and click on a good transaction button then my name would be listed as a satisfied client on his bio. If, I changed my mind due to a future transaction then I, and only I, could reverse or remove that affirmation by clicking. (Same for bad transaction). Anyone who wants to check him out could pm me or look in the bitching section for presently occurring bad transaction. Once it's set up the admin's out of it.
Exactly, if there is an easy way to do this (easyer than the burdon of babysitting the current section) or something along these lines I think it could be a good thing and we wouldnt have these arguements.... admins? chime in??

I can see what the admins have been saying about it tearing the group appart but I dont see how this section could not tear the community appart. If every time a negative thread is started problems arise then I dont see the point. I havent read one thread where it was a negaive transaction where someone, somewhere didnt start bitching about it.

#9 ·
TOYMAN321 said:
I havent read one thread where it was a negaive transaction where someone, somewhere didnt start bitching about it.
That is the nature of negative feedback.

Just like on eBay, when you see a negative comment, you usually find a follow up response, where the person will try to defend his/her behavior. Except on an open forum, it has the oppourtunity to become much more heated and agressive.

#10 ·
CELICA XX said:
TOYMAN321 said:
I havent read one thread where it was a negaive transaction where someone, somewhere didnt start bitching about it.
That is the nature of negative feedback.

Just like on eBay, when you see a negative comment, you usually find a follow up response, where the person will try to defend his/her behavior. Except on an open forum, it has the oppourtunity to become much more heated and agressive.
I dont mean from the recipiant of the feedback, that is to be expected, if you look through them you get everyone else jumping in telling people to shut up and stop bitching and to keep their whining to themselves. I just dont see the point

#11 ·
The point is that you don't have to bother reading the b&m section unless someone you're checking out has a negative name in his bio and then u can even pm the negative marker. If someone has 2 or 3 +'s and 1 (-) you'll prolly not even bother to investigate the (-) and assume there's an ongoing conflict that'll work itself out and the +'s are right on.

#12 ·
I think the responses in that area should just be be kept to responses pertaining to that transaction, which usually only involves the seller and buyer. If someone else wants to jump in and say "hey I dealt with this person and it was great!" or "I dealt with this person and it ruined my life" then they need to make their own thread if they haven't already.

Personally, I would like to see ANY problems arising from a transaction, whether it be the person forgetting to include stuff, taking their sweet time, packaging it with a whopping 2 peanuts, or just plain robbery. Someone may need a part by next week and would like to know beforehand whether the person is prompt or not.

I've seen a lot of responses that say it should have been kept to PM's when I don't think it should be. People should know everything they're in for when dealing with someone. They can read the threads and make their own conclusions.

Christian

#13 ·
Racefiend said:
I've seen a lot of responses that say it should have been kept to PM's when I don't think it should be. People should know everything they're in for when dealing with someone. They can read the threads and make their own conclusions.
I agree 100% but that doesnt seem to be what everyone here at this site wants, I think the bickering that is going over how the section is to be used is far more damaging then the section itself.

#14 ·
I, who matter little, think that it would be great if each thread were limited to the seller and buyer conversing only.

a.) Wouldn't get so heated.
b.) No b.s. posts from others.
c.) Easy to read problems turn into solutions.

This section is great, and allows others to see someone's feedback with a glance.

--BillyM

#15 ·
What I'm planning on doing is this...I'm going to use the rules that are stickied in the buyer/seller section. Here is a quote from the stickied rules post that Malloy made when we set the section up:

Here's how this new forum works:

1) If you bought or sold something and had good or bad experiences you may post here.

2) *IF YOU'RE NOT THE BUYER, THE SELLER, OR DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE SALE DON'T POST IT WILL BE DELETED.

3) When you are creating a new thread in this forum, make the SUBJECT like this:

Username GOOD/BAD
i.e. BillysSupra GOOD

4) Do NOT post about your experience with a shop, this is not the place.

5) This forum is to post about your experiences buying/selling parts with other individuals on celicasupra.com (and members from other forums too is fine of course).

6) This is a case where less is more. Don't spell out every little detail, state that you have a problem with X transaction or that so and so did a great job with X transaction. However...vague posts, good or bad, will be deleted.

7) Again, if there was no sale don't post. For this forum we do not care if a potential customer/seller can't make up their mind, etc. Post information on SALES only.

8) This is NOT a forum to BS around in, please do that elsewhere!

9) Also, for rules & info on buying/selling - please read this: http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=390
It's my busy time right now with work, and my time is spread extremely thin. I'm getting on the forum maybe an hour or less each day and I just don't have the extra time to throw at doing some custom rating mods to the forum, when I still "think" the ratings section CAN be used...if used correctly - and everyone follows the rules.

I do think your idea is a great one, Stan...I just don't have any day left when my day ends.

The first thing I'm going to do is enforce the rule about the BUYER and SELLER being the only ones who will have dialog in a given post in there. Any other comments will be deemed "unrelated" and the other Admins and I will just delete them.

Please don't be offended if this happens to you - it's going to happen to everyone from this point forward. We've got to be pro-active here, rather than reactive ... and I think this will be a good, effective first step.

I'll be damned if a group that has been around as long as ours has (from back in the E-groups days till present) is going to be ripped apart because of some heated arguements that drive people away from the site. That is not acceptable and you all should be pretty proud of what we've accomplished here - I know I am.

Thoughts and opinions?

#17 ·
all i want to know is if seller/buyer has a history of fulfilling his commitments, preferrably promptly but admins only have so much time to run the show so i think that whatever admins decide is good.

#18 ·
StanS said:
all i want to know is if seller/buyer has a history of fulfilling his commitments, preferrably promptly but admins only have so much time to run the show so i think that whatever admins decide is good.
I agree...the section was designed for that purpose. With some house keeping (from this point forward) and some common sense, I thnk it will be fine.

Members policing themselves would be a good step also, combined with us removing posts in a thread that aren't from the buyer or the seller directly. Removing the "noise" potential should drive the point home, and stop this BS dead in its tracks.

#19 ·
Speed;

You and all the admins have done a great job on this site and I have no doubt that it will continue. I want to make it clear that I am not knocking what you and the other admins are doing, and as I am not familiar with the forums software I don’t know the ease of performing certain modifications.

One suggestion that I would have is add to the stickied rules that if you are not directly involved with the transaction and not an admin that one should “butt out” of that particular post. That way each post could remain concise and clear as to that particular experience without unrelated interjection cluttering up the post and starting unneeded arguments.

One again you are all doing a great job and thank all if you!

#20 ·
TOYMAN321 said:
One suggestion that I would have is add to the stickied rules that if you are not directly involved with the transaction and not an admin that one should ?butt out? of that particular post.
that's already in there, and in all capital letters. Some people don't think the 'rules' apply to them.

2) *IF YOU'RE NOT THE BUYER, THE SELLER, OR DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE SALE DON'T POST IT WILL BE DELETED
I've followed this and I would have only one suggestion/thought.

I don't see why it would be a problem for all buyers to post in the same thread. It would save on reading a lot of threads and help on the clutter.

This is one of the parts of the forum that urks me when people are obviously not reading the rules before they post, for example:

http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=153484#153484

I fail to see the reason he posted months after this was over, also, he was not directly involved with the transaction, unless this is one of his 3+ usernames here on the forum.

#21 ·
Yeah true... but that rule is not really followed at this point, I dont really know how to make it more apparent though... unless there was a warning and a checkbox that would need to be checked before you could post saying "I am the seller/buyer, If I am not I will be bitchslapped" :D

#22 ·
The bottom-line is henceforth, anyone posting in a buyer/seller ratings post who was not involved in the transaction will see their post go POOF the moment one of us see it.

I can just see it now: "How DARE you delete my unwanted :twocents: post because I wanted to chime in and say that I TOO think the seller is a dickhead...blah blah blah...."

If admins removing posts that aren't the buyer or the seller brings any level of offense to anyone...so be it. This drama and bickering on the forum (especially in that section) needs to come to a halt.

#24 ·
Speed Racer said:
I can just see it now: "How DARE you delete my unwanted :twocents: post because I wanted to chime in and say that I TOO think the seller is a dickhead...blah blah blah...."

If admins removing posts that aren't the buyer or the seller brings any level of offense to anyone...so be it. This drama and bickering on the forum (especially in that section) needs to come to a halt.

I agree, and as long as the deletions are done farely and to everyone I dont see how people could get pissed about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.