Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some info on what I need to do. I bought a parts car, no title. And the car is not register to this guy. I had him fill out a bill of sales incase anything were to happen, it would fall back on him. He said it's not stolen, and looks too crappy. I have all his info plus I know where he lives. He fixes cars at his place for a living.

Now the issue I'm having is no auto salvage or recycling will take the car if it's not register to me, or have the title in hand. What do I need to do to get rid of this? I don't want to chop it up, rather take it in, in one piece. If it comes down to it, I'll tow it to the middle of no where and ditch it. But I rather not do that.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That's interesting. I remember when I was restoring my truck, I had a junk frame that the body came off of sitting alongside my driveway for MONTHS! My neighbors started getting really ticked off. Anyways, I eventually loaded it up on a trailer and took it to a junkyard. They took it off the trailer with a fork lift, no questions asked.

HOWEVER

Like I said, it had no body. In fact it had no engine or tranny. It was simply a frame and 4 wheels. Not a damn thing was left on it. Hard to have a title or registration on a couple c-channel frame rails and some tires. Right?

I don't remember them asking for anything though, so I guess i'm just not much help.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I talked to a yard and said, "What if I chopped it up?" He said, "Then don't tell me about it." I may have to do this. Or dropped the car off at the yard during closed hours. When I live in MN, no questions ask either. Took them to the metal recycler and they picked it right off the trailer with the giant magnet.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I had an issue like this before.

I posted on craigslist, scrap metal car, $20. The next day a guy picked it up, no title, no questions asked. He knew what to do and where to take it. He said he would get about $100 for the metal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
you can always get a application for title. declare it abandoned. pay the fees and get your title.

i think the fees vary from state to state so i would double check at the title/tag office. they should have a form you can fill out.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fees are not cheap here. I don't want to spend anymore money on something that's going straight to the crasher. I'm stripping it down, taking everything that can sell. Bought this for body parts for another MK3 I got 2 weeks ago.

I'll try that, post on craigslist and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
All states are different regarding this, and I have no idea what the Cali requirements are (um, probably ditto other commenters in this thread) . But the Craigslist suggestion is good - but I'd look for folks offering to pay money and get more than $20.

Or offer it up at your local ethnic group community center, you might get someone to take it. (I've met 7mgt-66e, only reason I mention this)

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
The biggest problem is the metal thieves. You know, the ones who steal Guardrails from freeways, copper from light poles, and on and on. Scrap yards are being watched closer than ever. Some simply wont accept anything that isnt titled, period.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
CA laws are ...well you guys know, you live there. Very tough on everything from A to Z.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yeah

Remove all the vin numbers and push it in the street.:naughty:
Or leave the VIN numbers if you don't care.

If it was parked in front of my house it wouldn't last three days.

·
Registered
637 Posts
that's what i did with a 96 mx-6, it was gone in two days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts