Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

Im wondering if the laptop coolers actually work. I read hundreds of reviews last night. Most of the negative ones dealt with people whining that they weren't comfortable on peoples laps.

Some of the indepth reviews I read had temp drops shown. Only one I recall was about a 6 degree drop. Is 6 degrees really even helpful?? it was celcius, but even then thats not huge.

When Im running windows and doing basic stuff it stays nice and cool. You really cant tell its on. When I get into Games it feels like a damn hair dryer. GPU creates a lot of heat. I would like to tone this down a bit.

Anyone have any experience with this???

This one looks nice, but is it worth the price???
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Any Ideas, Experience, or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I have a thin, lightweight 10 dollar targus cooling pad. It does keep the laptop noticeably cooler. I use it when Im just sitting and browsing/working for a long period of time. I dont worry about using it all the time...just when I know the laptop will be getting a good workout.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a program that lets me throttle the internal fan speed at will.
I used to use it when I would run Final Cut Pro, and it would help out a ton, but I haven't used it in a while now.
That's a free (and clutter free) alternative.
My Mom uses the basic $10 Targus pad mentioned above and it works great too.
The advantage of a pad is that it wont burn your legs if you use it mobile.

·
Registered
379 Posts
6 degrees can be the difference between running hot and burning your chip up.

personally , i think that as long as you keep your fan clean and don't block the fan intake and exhaust on your laptop, then it should be fine. maybe uncomfortable, but ok.

following that thought, i have yet to have problems with any laptop i've ever owned.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've even put a basic hexagon pencil under the back of the laptop to give it enough lift to promote airflow. The hex shape prevents the pencil from sliding out from under the laptop.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6 degrees can be the difference between running hot and burning your chip up.

personally , i think that as long as you keep your fan clean and don't block the fan intake and exhaust on your laptop, then it should be fine. maybe uncomfortable, but ok.

following that thought, i have yet to have problems with any laptop i've ever owned.
I think I may have crammed too much into this poor shell.

I will try a pencil to start with and see what happens. If its still hot as hell I will invest in the cooler. Thank you for replys, Wanted to make sure the coolers were worth buying.

I trust the CS group more than some chump writing a review on Amazon.

Half the shitty reviews are direct results of challenged operators.

"This CD player sucks. I hear whining in my speakers when the car is running"
No sir, Your install sucks.

"I ranked one star because it took a week to recieve my item".......
Thanks. How does it work...

lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
Half the shitty reviews are direct results of challenged operators.
truer words have never been spoken.

i notice that when buying parts from newegg too.

"this processor sucks, it burnt up as soon as i turned it on without a heat sink"

"this video card sucks, no one told me i didn't have an agp slot on my mother board"

etc, etc, etc

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Yes.

$10 radio shack. Chinese. USB plug in. I HAVE to use on when I'm on a tear lookin' for parts! The original fan quit. Out put temp reaches 100? Shut down time. Dave.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have a cooling pad. My father just bought it for me for Christmas. Didn't know I was getting it, but here's the problem.

My laptop is a 17" Sony Vaio VGN-A190 desktop replacement notebook.

It's meant to be a desktop haha, so I've got a port replicator on the back of this thing. The coolant pad can't be place directly underneath the laptop cause then the replicator doesn't stay connected. I don't know how this is affecting the effectiveness of the pad, but whatever, I'm using it. The pad itself isn't even meant for a 17".

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would just make sure your fan/fans are working properly. A computer will turn itself off before overheating anyways.. But I know what you mean.
My HP laptop has two fans that both have two settings.. When I am gaming both will be on full blast and the keyboard still gets pretty hot.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I think it also varies on the notebook you are using. I have a macbook, the bottom is pretty sealed up, the vents are on the back. When I tried using a cooler I didn't notice any significant drop in temp when I was rendering video over just propping the thing up on coke bottle caps under each corner.

My brother has a notebook that has a fan intake on the underside of it, he has noticed a pretty big difference in temps using a pad with his, but since the fan was an intake and the pad he picked up pulled air away from the bottom of the notebook he has to pop the cooing pad open and flip the fans to get everything flowing in the correct direction.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a cooling pad. My father just bought it for me for Christmas. Didn't know I was getting it, but here's the problem.

My laptop is a 17" Sony Vaio VGN-A190 desktop replacement notebook.

It's meant to be a desktop haha, so I've got a port replicator on the back of this thing. The coolant pad can't be place directly underneath the laptop cause then the replicator doesn't stay connected. I don't know how this is affecting the effectiveness of the pad, but whatever, I'm using it. The pad itself isn't even meant for a 17".
The first one I linked is actually a decent size. I believe it is designed for a 17"
I went on a quest comparing sizes, reviews, and specs. Most of these are fairly small. That was one of the few that seemed the right size. I believe its 16" wide or close to it. most of the models would leave me hanging off both sides.

I think it also varies on the notebook you are using. I have a macbook, the bottom is pretty sealed up, the vents are on the back. When I tried using a cooler I didn't notice any significant drop in temp when I was rendering video over just propping the thing up on coke bottle caps under each corner.

My brother has a notebook that has a fan intake on the underside of it, he has noticed a pretty big difference in temps using a pad with his, but since the fan was an intake and the pad he picked up pulled air away from the bottom of the notebook he has to pop the cooing pad open and flip the fans to get everything flowing in the correct direction.
yea, Mac designed there ventilation a bit differently. I won't admit that it may be superior but it could be a good design:laugh:

I have heard they actually stay a bit cooler. Would make more sense. Pulling air from under doesn't sound like a winning plan to me.

I will probably purchase one of these. I realize a computer will shut it self down before melt down, but I really don't wanna hang out on the borderline.

RT36, The pencil helped a bit too. Laptop table thing has grooves for cooling but they apparently aren't working too well.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
yea, Mac designed there ventilation a bit differently. I won't admit that it may be superior but it could be a good design:laugh:
Thanks Guys
I've been pretty happy with the cooling, although if your really flogging it and it's sitting on your lap things can get a little toasty.

I have been using a program that lets me throttle up my fans, so I'll crank them up if I'm rendering video or running or batching in PS

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn.....No clutter here. Wireless mouse pisses me off cuz it has the usb plug in device lol. Thats insane. So the port replicator pretty much gives you all the same hook ups as a desktop. Hmm. Looks like it is connected to laptop. that kinda kills the theory behind the cooler. You would have that thing hangin off the back :( That is crazy. It is hooked solid to laptop or is it just under it???

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
It's got one connection underneath the laptop a little offcenter. You lock it in, but yea picking up the laptop alone it just breaks the connection. It also acts to tilt the laptop up just a tad, as well as giving you a bunch of extra hookups. It even has a coaxial hookup. I once used this to watch TV and record myself playing Halo haha. Response time sucked for trying to use it to game on solely, but I'd play on the TV, use the laptop as a second screen (picture someone watching the same show on two different TVs) and record with it.

I've got a yo-yo underneath the port replicator now, I think this is gonna work as long as I don't want to yo-yo haha.

That pic I linked brings back memories of playing Halo 1 ALL THE TIME haha. Fun days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts