Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy, just driving home today, and parked my '84 in the garage. Noticed a horrible burning smell, popped the hood, and noticed smoke wafting out! :shocked!: Came from the back of the engine, but couldn't place it exactly. Seemed to be either in-between the cam towers or on the back of one near the firewall. There's also a ever-growing pool of oil under the car, too. Not gushing, but it's growing slowly. Engine isn't overheating, didn't see any smoke coming out of the exhaust, no check engine light. I searched around and heard other problems sorta like this that make me think it's a bad seal.

Is there any way to tell other than taking off major chunks of the engine? I don't know how much this is gonna cost me (I'm a college student = poor) and if you guys could help diagnose this it'd be a great help. I've already heard about how I should stick with OEM gaskets, how much would those cost?

I appriciate any help you all can give... I just hope it's not as serious as a BHG...

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
You could have leaky rear cam o-rings or a bad cam tower gasket if its oil thats leaking. The o-rings are about $4-5 each and the cam tower gasket ~30-40 from Toyota. The downside is the rear o-ring is an absolute PITA to replace with the cam towers still in the car. That and you have a pretty good chance of breaking one of the 3 bolts that hold the triangle shaped plate on. If you have to do the o-ring I'd recommend removing the cam tower to do it, its probably faster doing it this way. If you do remove the tower I'd recommend replacing the front seal while you are there as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts