Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I checked out your site. I see you take the whole thing apart.
How hard is it to take the motor out. Do you have to take the motor with trans out in one piece. How much did it cost out to rebuilt.
thanks!

·
Registered
733 Posts
You will gain very very little, if the rest of the motor is stock. Now if you raised compression, you might see a worthwhile gains.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Supraii

It comes out pretty easy took me about a day doing it myself. The biggest problem is getting the upper two bolts out of the bell housing that go into the motor and getting the Start off what a pain. I had to lower the transmission to get the bolts out and go back and forth a few time. I went ahead and took the trany out first before I took the engine out so I would have to support it somehow after pulling the engine plus it was really dirt and it comes out really easy so I thought what the heck.

I haven't done the rebuild yet, I'm going to do most of the work my self except for the machine work and stuff I don't have the right stuff for. I'm hoping to get the head in this week to get new seals and get it cleaned up and check for warped and stuff. My engines internals look really good so I think I will just be able to change bearings and rings and it will be back to new after the head gets done, I'm guessing that all the parts and labor will be around 400 bucks when its all done maybe just a little bit less.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
supraii said:
How hard is it to take the motor out. Do you have to take the motor with trans out in one piece. How much did it cost out to rebuilt.
thanks!

i recently did an engine swap, solo, and let me say, its MUCH easier to do it with the engine and tranny as one unit... i found the tranny gives the engine some tail weight and helps pull the nose up so it slips out of the engine bay more easily.
taking just the engine out would be easier, but like rumptis mentioned, then you have to support the tranny, and when your lining them back up, it would be murder... very difficult with help, and probably impossible without help.

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
dogstar said:
supraii said:
thanks!
i recently did an engine swap, solo, and let me say, its MUCH easier to do it with the engine and tranny as one unit...
It also makes it easier if you have the ass end of the car up a couple feet on blocks or stands after you get the engine/tranny disconnected and ready to hoist out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts