Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an '86 Camaro and recently tarted to have a problem with the door locks. Initially, the drivers side door opened normally but when I went to shut it,the latch mechanism (a sort of "U" shaped rotating part) would not turn to engage the pin (i.e. let the open "U" over the pin) on the door frame...so the latch just bangs against the pin. Next, I violated my usual principle of "if it aint broke.... etc", I played with the passenger door and, to my dismay, managed to rotate the "U" part of the latch backward so that now it also is stuck in a position where that door also won't shut. If anyone (even another GM model owner) has any ideas how to free up this mechanism - preferably w/o disassembling the door trim - I would be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
348 Posts
let's start easy . . . Try spraying some lubricant or oil on them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I know!! pull the damn door handle! When the U part turns and locks closed the pin is supposed to be in the middle of it, so just pull up the door handle and it will open up again
Not necessarily. Depending on the design of the door, there may need to be pressure applied in the opposing direction to pop the latch over.
But that all depends on how the hinge was designed.
I would say... hold the door handle in the open position, and try to actuate the hinge open with a flat head screw driver.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So basically, if you slam the door it wont shut? We had this problem on my friend's 91 Trans Am GTA. Theres something that you have to push on the door latch. I cant for the life of me remember how to do it. I do know all I did was push it with a flat blade screwdriver and it worked.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
My old '89 Rs used to be bad about that. I don't remember how me and my dad fixed it. It also had a problem with the gay hatch lock mechanism.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So basically, if you slam the door it wont shut? We had this problem on my friend's 91 Trans Am GTA. Theres something that you have to push on the door latch. I cant for the life of me remember how to do it. I do know all I did was push it with a flat blade screwdriver and it worked.
here is a pic so he can describe what he means. ( i forget how to do it too)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
^^ Cant really make out the picture, I would suggest him poking around with a flat screwdriver.

^ I run a Third Gen F-Body forum. No need for him to leave. Haha

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah sorry just a quick search though Eklers camaro if i find a better one ill post it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have vague but unpleasant memories of this happening to my 88 - 91 chev full size vans...i believe my cure involved pulling on inside door handle then while holding this handle in open position, flipping the latch parts inside door with a screwdriver. Release inside handle, and if you got lucky, the "U" will be open towards the post, and it will not be jammed...as you well know it can be. You won't need to slam it or anything violent - will either work nice or not. Lube is good, but won't save you now until you release the jam and get things lined up right again. It may help to look at the latch parts on a door that is still working...but last i checked your camaro has only 2 doors and if they're now both gimped...well, uh...well, uh...keep holding and flipping and maybe you'll get lucky, or call a friend with similar vintage gm and look at his door?....and if you figure it out, let us all know about it cause we may someday have to do it again ourselves...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts