Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not mean to sound stupid but could someone explain this camber thing to me. I see from reading that in the rear is a problem and in the front they have a fix. any answers would be helpful.

jeremy

·
Registered
58 Posts
simple explaination. if you are looking at the front or rear of the car. draw a vertical line and the angle of the tires in relation to that vertical line is camber.

Camber isn't a bad thing. its just that it causes more wear on the inside of the tire. Rotate and flip your tires around every so often, and it becomes a very small issue. Being able to control camber is nice though.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Flip the tires

Excuse me if I'm a little slow this evening. I get the rotate the tires bit. By flip, do you mean taking them off the wheel and turning them around so the inside part is now on the outside? How does that work in terms of keeping the directional arrow pointed in the right direction? It goes on the other side of the car?

Kind of like the two kinds of nails that come in the box right? ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Camber is the degrees of rotation your wheels are at relative to the ground, rotating away from the sides of the car. If the bottoms of your tires are sitting perfectly parallel with the pavement, then they are set at 0 degrees camber. As the tops of the wheels fold in, the camber changes. In that case your wheels would have negative camber, -3 degrees or something like that. If the bottoms went in you'd have positive. When most suspension systems compress, the further they compress the more negative camber is attained. Since on the rear of the supra there is no easy way to adjust the wheels camber, if you lower your car or have saggy springs, you get lots of negative camber. Good for extreme handling but it hurts straightline traction, brake effectivness (again less usuable tire on the pavement) and the insides of your tires wear funny.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
Re: Flip the tires

jefe_not said:
How does that work in terms of keeping the directional arrow pointed in the right direction? It goes on the other side of the car?
Not all tires are directional. To reduce camber wear all you can really do is rotate your tires front to back as the front generally doesn't wear the inside edges as fast. If you don't mind shelling out 60 bucks every year or so you can have the rubber removed and turned around too, assuming you don't have white walls or don't mind them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
This is more of a problem for those of us running directional tires with lowered suspensions. Don't really want to wear through a set of $600 tires each year :shock:

·
Registered
58 Posts
$600 tires? you all need to get cheaper tires. just picked up a set of Faulken Ziex 512's for $188 to my door. I didn't spend $600 when I had Kumho Victorracer V700's on my Integra haha. guys thats the cost of Bling

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Cheaper tires huh????

Anything cheap that you can recommend for under $200 for ALL 4 tires together that comes in a 245/45/16 size (which is what myself & Chad are running)??? :D :shock:

Yep, I spent ~$500 for my 245/45/16 Yokohama AVS-Intermediates. Of course I managed to miss out on Discount Tire's close out sale when this model/size was going for $53 each last year, but that's because of a model discontinuation. As for other available models/brands.... Just curious.

Yep.... $500+ for all 4 tires in this size, = the price you pay indeed for "Bling Bling".... :shocked!: :multi:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yep, I paid $634 for a set of 245/45/16 Yokohama AVS Sports with mounting, balancing and a lifetime warranty. I actually thought I got a pretty good price. I found the best price I could (without shipping) on the internet, and got a local Discount Tire to match the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts