Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok is it just my car or does anyone also have problems with the camshaft housing gasket. This is the gasket between the head and the Cams. This leakage gets on the exhaust manifold and causes it to smoke up like crazy. Any one else have this problem? I just sent my head to get Port and Polished and a 3 angle valve job.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This was a problem that I could never fix. I installed new gaskets, retorqued, etc.

I was going to try some Toyota FIPG (Form In Place Gasket) as a last resort.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i once tried JB Weld the kind that you squeez together and turns into a hard rock in a couple of minutes. it worked fine for a couple of weeks till the rest of the gasket began to break. then i chipped it off and replaced the gasket. i have notice that it starting to look wet (oil) around that gasket just like last time. :mad:

·
Registered
245 Posts
camshaft housing leaking

Oh yeah another one. I am doing this now. all i got to say is make sure you get that gasket behind the metal timing belt plate. it did not come with my gasket set from advanced auto. from what we can tell it cost about $4.00 from toyota. while you are there go ahead and get your rear cam o-rings. while you are in there get your camseals too. check that timing belt casue it al has to come off. one more thing do not tighten those rear cam cover bolts to tight or youi will break one off like i did!!!!!

good luck

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the guy that does my heads can get me the set of gaskets for my head. The set includes all the gaskets i need for the head.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
one more thing do not tighten those rear cam cover bolts to tight or youi will break one off like i did!!!!!
i didnt get the whole bolt in the hole when mine snapped. brand new bolt, and it broke within 4 turns. worse than that, they cost $2.75 EACH. i spent $137 on new bolts for this car, and the first one i try to put in, breaks... im scared of the rest of them now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Buy a thread chaser and clean the threads. That should fix the breaking problem.

My housings were also leaking not long after my rebuild. Now that I have it apart again I guess I am going to try RTV on either side of the metal gasket.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Supposedly headders fixes the problem. The cast manifold holds too much heat up against the side of the head and causes it to leak. It sounds strange but it might just work.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SupraWes said:
Supposedly headders fixes the problem. The cast manifold holds too much heat up against the side of the head and causes it to leak. It sounds strange but it might just work.
well when i got my black supra it use to leak untill i fixed it. my white (getting head redone as we speak) supra lead too and that one had Thorley headers. i think that gasket between the camshaft housing and the head its self sucks A$$. :x

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well my blue sup doesn't leak per say but there is oil that seeps through. Now on my SDR sup it leaks more than my blue sup but not that much to have me worried. Also bowf of those heads were rebuilt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts