Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

I have a 1979 Toyota Celica Supra 5 spd. The owner sold it to me in "perfect condition" to him that meant it needs calibers, rotors, the electronics don't work and it has the wrong wheels.

That's just to give you an idea how I got in this mess. What i need is help with the calipers and rotors first.

I sent them to Cardone, who said they would rebuild them. They rebuilt 2 and charged me for 4. My parts place is trying to find out what happened. Rockauto sold me rotors listed for the supra, wrong hub size, assume they are celica.

Right now I need calipers and rotors. I've called everyone on the internet I could find and just can't find them. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a swap or a magician who can rebuild them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Rotors

Most time you have to use the word Celica to get the right parts, I would measure your original rotors and be sure they send you a different part # and ask about the diameter and hole lay out when you re order the parts. the car you have is a Celica Supra, but they must have sent you a part from a different year. .

I have a 1979 Toyota Celica Supra 5 spd. The owner sold it to me in "perfect condition" to him that meant it needs calibers, rotors, the electronics don't work and it has the wrong wheels.

That's just to give you an idea how I got in this mess. What i need is help with the calipers and rotors first.

I sent them to Cardone, who said they would rebuild them. They rebuilt 2 and charged me for 4. My parts place is trying to find out what happened. Rockauto sold me rotors listed for the supra, wrong hub size, assume they are celica.

Right now I need calipers and rotors. I've called everyone on the internet I could find and just can't find them. Anyone have any suggestions? Is there a swap or a magician who can rebuild them?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Pics will solve everything for us, 1 you'll appease us so we can oggle your fresh new ride, and 2 we'll get a better idea of your problems. Would love to see a pic of your car with the wheels on it, the oem mk1 wheels are tough to find, but the mk2 wheels look great and have a beefier look to em.

Rockauto is hit or miss, looks like for your 79 you have to go under celica, then choose the 2.6 L6 to get the proper rotors and brakes. Try 84 supra in rock auto, if you buy part under toyota>84>celica supra you get the wrong stuff, you have to go to toyota>84>celica>2.8L option to get the goods. The pictures are generally accurate though, so check the calipers on there out and see if you have any luck, only $35 each after core it seems.

Are these rotors for the front or the back, and most importantly please tell me you still have the disc brake rear end and it wasn't snatched by some ae86 guy... On more than one occasion we've seen people try to mount these rotors inboard instead of outboard, so a pic of your new rotors compared to your old ones, or a part number would be a good start to figuring that out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Pics will solve everything for us, 1 you'll appease us so we can oggle your fresh new ride, and 2 we'll get a better idea of your problems. Would love to see a pic of your car with the wheels on it, the oem mk1 wheels are tough to find, but the mk2 wheels look great and have a beefier look to em.
100% AGREE. Pics are worth a 1000 words as they say.

If you’re going to need to replace all the brakes, why not upgrade to a better setup? Like the Q45 calipers and MPV rotors. It’s better and probably the same price. Just my two cents

Rockauto needs to figure their shit out. Countless times i’ve heard people get the wrong part and I have too. I ordered front control arms with ball joints installed under the Celica 2.8L category and sure enough it was wrong. I ended up going to autozone and matching up the ball joint that way and got the right one and reused my old control arms. Simply update the database with the correct parts. And for goodness sake, add a Supra category for 82-86 with the CORRECT parts. It’s not that hard for someone to go through and identify the differences between the Celica and Celica Supra.

Are these rotors for the front or the back, and most importantly please tell me. On more than one occasion we've seen people try to mount these rotors inboard instead of outboard, so a pic of your new rotors compared to your old ones, or a part number would be a good start to figuring that out.
Guilty of that one! I did this when doing the Q45 caliper and MPV rotor upgrade. That’s how you learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts