Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to these Japanese cars so I'm not so sure about this one but it looks cool on the Celica XXs.

I have a Canadian early 1982 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type with power mirrors (did they all have power mirrors?) on the doors. I like the look of the fender mirrors. Ideally I would swap them out by drilling holes in the fender and running a bit of wiring.

Can they be swapped in? And can I retain the power adjustability?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
(did they all have power mirrors?)
No Euro Supras did not. I traded a pair of North American mirrors to a German owner years ago as he wanted to modify his Euro Supra to add the power mirrors and the rear body side lights, which I also sent to him. I don't know if he was able to - he never asked for wiring or switches, just the mirrors and rear marker lights. In return I got the rear body vents and the manual mirrors. Ugly mirrors but I really only wanted those rear vents which we didn't get here in North America.

Can they be swapped in? And can I retain the power adjustability?
Yes. No. I've seen several people put fender mirrors on their Supras and Datsun Zs but they weren't powered.
View attachment 17559

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am from Europe and no, unfortunately powered mirrors were not available here. But I actually like the slim european mirrors more than the bulky US mirrors.

Regarding the harness: Quite a lot is prewired. The connector for the mirror switch is there and all the wires up to the door.

In Japan there were more options. Manual and powered door and fender mirrors.
And from the look in the picture, they had a powered option of the slim mirror:

I just guess those parts are very hard to find:
Product Organism Font Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
105 Posts
You 'can' use a generic fender mirror, but you'll have to look through pretty old JDM stuff, (to get a style that matches the car) and bear in mind that they are mostly made for RHD cars, so you might not be able to adjust both properly to see anything in them.
I have seen someone just gluing a plastic sheet to the sawn-off remains of the mirror instead of getting the original 'air inlet', but it was not a pretty sight. :p Had pretty cool aftermarket JDM-style mirrors on the fenders, though..

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I have a rear hatch Celica XX 2.8GT sticker I’ll be selling soon if you’re interested

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a rear hatch Celica XX 2.8GT sticker I’ll be selling soon if you’re interested
Nah I’m not going too crazy I just like the look of the mirrors. The one of the previous owners put two different GTS decals and a mark 4 supra decal on the back there :LOL:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am from Europe and no, unfortunately powered mirrors were not available here. But I actually like the slim european mirrors more than the bulky US mirrors.

Regarding the harness: Quite a lot is prewired. The connector for the mirror switch is there and all the wires up to the door.

In Japan there were more options. Manual and powered door and fender mirrors.
And from the look in the picture, they had a powered option of the slim mirror:

I just guess those parts are very hard to find: View attachment 17560
Thanks for the info! What do the slim euro mirrors look like? Mine don’t seem especially bulky imo.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Note that image you see will be smaller. Same size mirror installed further away will have smaller angular cross-section along with smaller area of coverage reflected.

·
Super Moderator
8,731 Posts
I'm sure anything is possible with enough drill bits and a soldering iron. The bigger problem you'll have is functionality of LHD vs RHD since the mirror glass isn't flat on the passenger side so it will be backwards from the way you're used to.

Although not legal in the US I think it would be kind of cool to do camera side mirrors and remove the factory mirrors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speaking of which...Does anyone know of a place to purchase a passenger side power mirror assy for an 84 Supra? Some dingleberry must have hit it in a parking lot and broke the spring retaining screw bases. Needless to say they left NO so sorry message. Thanks Ted

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ted,

The mirrors are getting harder to find. The spring is supposed to allow the mirror to move, but the plastic is getting old and brittle, and so as you found out, it breaks instead. You may have to use something like JB weld to repair the posts. There are previous threads on repairing the mirrors, substituting weaker springs, and such. Use the search function for ideas.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ted,

The mirrors are getting harder to find. The spring is supposed to allow the mirror to move, but the plastic is getting old and brittle, and so as you found out, it breaks instead. You may have to use something like JB weld to repair the posts. There are previous threads on repairing the mirrors, substituting weaker springs, and such. Use the search function for ideas.

Good luck,

Bob
Thanks, will look

·
Registered
1983 Red Mk2 M/T 7MGTE Swap, Bone stock M/T Black Mk2 1984, 1989 Red Mk3 A/T Turbo
197 Posts
is your car auto?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts