Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i bought my bell housing brand new from toyota(n/a jza80) and it is the "push" style setup... ok no worries, i know how a clutch works, but all my research has led me to, and i use the term lightly... "needing" the 7mgte clutch setup, pressure plate, clutch disc etc, etc... now im sure all of it bolts up but the 7mgte clutch is a "pull" style clutch.... push + pull = fail....:duh:

what the hell did i miss? what pressure plate/s can i use that is a "push" style setup onto the motor? OR... is there a way to make it "push" style without changing the bell housing?

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
ok, so i bought my bell housing brand new from toyota(n/a jza80) and it is the "push" style setup... ok no worries, i know how a clutch works, but all my research has led me to, and i use the term lightly... "needing" the 7mgte clutch setup, pressure plate, clutch disc etc, etc... now im sure all of it bolts up but the 7mgte clutch is a "pull" style clutch.... push + pull = fail....:duh:

what the hell did i miss? what pressure plate/s can i use that is a "push" style setup onto the motor? OR... is there a way to make it "push" style without changing the bell housing?
You missed a lot dude. ;)

The two compatible transmissions are what determine which clutch and bell housing to use.

R154 - 1JZ Bell housing and flywheel + 7MGTE clutch (pull design)
W58 - MkIV NA/Soarer NA/SC300 NA 2JZGE bell housing, flywheel, and clutch (push design)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah sweet. for some reason everything led to using the 7m clutch.. the 2jzge clutch setup tho should handle the 1jzgte power no problem? or is there some form of alternative to give the clutch that extra bit of bite? i think this is my biggest concern overall is not getting the power through the to the gearbox...

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
I doubt the stock one will be up to the task over 275hp if you beat on your car. You'll need an upgraded 2JZGE clutch for that task. I ran a Clutch Masters stage 3 in a 400 hp BPU TT MkIV with a W58...it outlasted the transmission :laugh:

·
Registered
309 Posts
A less expensive alternative may be to use an upgraded disk with the stock PP, that way like Mark said when the transmission goes you didn't waste too much on a clutch setup.

My old 1jz setup was the stock r154 PP (30-40k miles) and a HPF Bronze disk. I beat on it pretty good with no issues and the guy that I sold to to dynoed the car at 320hp.

Although that being said I dont know how the w58 PP compares to the r154 PP.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i was thinkin a upgraded disc would be the go....

issues on blowing the gearbox are not an issue as ill be having the gearbox rebuilt. im not intending on giving the 1j too much of an upgrade, intercooler and exhaust is enough for now. but in saying that i can see there is going to be a slight gain in hp with those mods and thats all im really lookin at for the moment.

so im trying to make this happen without going overboard if ya get my drift. stock motor = 276hp +mods (maybe an extra 20hp tops)= 296hp.... just say 300hp to round it up

1jzgte Peak Power 276hp (206 kW) @ 6200rpm

2jzge Peak Power 164kw @ 5800rpm (220HP)

2jzgte Maximum Power 238kw @ 5600rpm (320HP)

this to me is a problem.. is there a clutch disc on the market that will handle 300+ hp for the 2jzge setup?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'v been running a new stock 7M turbo clutch and PP in my 1jz+r154 mk3 for over 2 years and 15k miles without any slippage. I rev the shit out of my car and my last dyno was 320hp 318tq. I rarely slip the clutch though and have only ever done 1 1/4 mile pass, a lot of highway pulls though.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
so im trying to make this happen without going overboard if ya get my drift. stock motor = 276hp +mods (maybe an extra 20hp tops)= 296hp.... just say 300hp to round it up

1jzgte Peak Power 276hp (206 kW) @ 6200rpm

2jzge Peak Power 164kw @ 5800rpm (220HP)

2jzgte Maximum Power 238kw @ 5600rpm (320HP)

this to me is a problem.. is there a clutch disc on the market that will handle 300+ hp for the 2jzge setup?
Remember...the 2JZGE clutch was also hauling around a 3500 lb. car. I'm pretty sure you'll need both the disc and pressure plate upgraded if going with the 2JZGE clutch behind a BPU 1JZ. The trans WILL be an issue a some point in time...they just aren't up to the task at those power levels with traction. As previously stated...the Clutch Masters Stage 3 held 400 RWHP in a MkIV for about two years of limited driving before the W58 grenaded.

I believe the 7MGTE and 2JZGE pressure plates are of similar weight...the cars weight and power output was pretty close. The 2JZGE pressure plate physically looks a lot like a stock 7MGE plate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts