Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my timing gun back so I thought I should check my timing today. Just as I had thought it was retarded a little at 8 degrees. So since I had to adjust it I figured Id advance it by a few degrees and set it at 14. But To my surprise the distributor was as far foward (toward the front of the car) as it would go and I was only able to advance it to 10 deg.

What gives?
Do I have to remove the distributor and fiddle with the gear? If thats the case could someone give me some directions on how to do so properly? As in which way i need to rotate the gear. And any tips on how to do it without fudging something up.

Or could it be something else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I believe that your distributor is off by 1 tooth, maybe 2 at the most. All you should have to do is remove the distributor and turn it one or 2 "tooth's" worth. As to which direction, I can't say off hand, but I can offer this. First note which way you are trying to turn the distributor (clockwise, counterclockwise), and mark the direction the dist. cap is pointing and the location of the adjustment bolt (which I assume is all the way on one side since you said that you had no more room to adjust). This will let you put things back where they should be in case you get lost/confused. I set my timing last fall and as I recall the distributor body turns clockwise reletive to the cap as you remove it. So in my little brain, if your adjustment bolt is at the top of the track and you need more room, then I would think that you should turn the body of the distributor counterclockwise slightly before reinstalling it. Likewise, if the adjustment bolt is pinned against the bottom of the adjustment slider, I would think that you would want to turn the distributor body clockwise to gain more adjustment room. Experiment and tell us what you find.
Also, you might want to replace the distributor O-ring if you haven't done that recently.

HTH

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Theyre exactly what I needed.

Square said:
Also, you might want to replace the distributor O-ring if you haven't done that recently.
Nope, I Havent done so yet. In fact I think Ill go buy it before I start working on this.

Thanks alot!

Edit: BTW.....How does this happen in the first place? Improper installation? I have no clue if the dist. has been replaced or not, since I have no service records from the previous owner.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Your welcome sir.

As for how it happened, I would think that the previous owner (or his mechanic) installed it slightly off, but since it was pretty close they just left it that way.

Let me know how this turns out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts