Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a few weeks ago I changed out all the old head gaskets and polished up some parts, etc.. But once we put the motor back together we cant get the damn motor to start.. We've been going by our manual to check and make sure everything was correct. We re-did the timming, all the pistons are even, the cams are in proper position..
I've bought new plugs, new rotor, new dist. cap. Everytime I try to crank the car it just wont start.. There are times when it almost will but We still cant figure out whats going on.. I also had the fuel rail and injectors cleaned out.. The compression was good, and i cranked the motor dry (EFI fuse pulled out) to make sure any excess gasoline wasnnt flooding the spark plugs.. When we checked for spark it was good, so it can't be the ignition.. All the grounds are in where they are supposed to be.. We mite be thinking it's the battery, it's being recharged at the moment, but other than that we still cant start the car.. I'll post an update tomarrow if the recharged battery doesn't work.. Can anyone give advice on whats going on?! Any info. will be a great deal of help.. Thankx!!!
-Melly :roll:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Check the bundle of ground wires that gets attached to one of the bolts that holds the 2 halves of the intake manifold together. It is easilly missed and the car will not start if those are not bolted down. Other than that you can crack the fuel line at the filter and check for pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
If you're getting spark and when turning over it pops and fires once in awhile then I would guess the timing is off.
When you tore down did you set #1 at TDC (on the power stroke) first and not turn over the engine while the head was off? And when putting head back on did you align the cam sprocket timing marks and double check that the crank was still at 0 degrees?
If you didn't do all the above - your timing (mechanical) is off. Your cams aren't lined up with crank and or distributor.
Set timing mark at zero and pull distributor cap off and see if rotor is at #1. If not, turn the motor over by hand (socket) one revolution because you may be on the compression stroke (180 out). Again check for zero on crank, and rotor at #1, and then check cam timing marks. If they are not lined up then you know it is the timing and you'e going to leave the crank at zero with the rotor at #1 and pull the timing belt back off and line up the cams and go from there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
afm? i thought after cleaning my throttlebody once that the car was dead for some unapparent reason. it would sputter then die like yoours is and we cranked the hell outta it. then i hooked the intake all back up and then was like eh scrw it and tried again and it started fine. that was back when i didn't know a whole lot about my car tho.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My timing and everything was rite.. I'm aware that the timing belt can easily be off by one tooth, but we marked off on the cam gears with white lines to align it rite.. We still havn't tried to hook in the battery due to rain, I'm used to working in sunny days :lol: .. But besided that im crossing my fingers and hoping my supra will run again.. Hopefully it was just the low power from my battery.. If anyone has any more suggestions it woul be of most help.. Thanx for your contributions.
-Melly

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
I recently had problems getting mine to start after transplanting a 6mge into it. As far as I could tell I was getting spark and fuel. I had also put in a new fuel pump, filter, and tank as the old one was contaminated.
So I took a squeeze bulb (turkey baister, or infant's snot sucker) and sucked up some gas and squeezed it into the intake manifold via one of the little vacuum hoses and then turned the key. It fired over immediately and ran for a few seconds so I did it again and it fired up for a few seconds again. I did this several times proving to myself that the engine would fire up and run if I supplied fuel to it. So I knew it was not getting fuel but before I could figure out why, it started running the fourth time I forcefed it. I can only assume that the fuel system needed priming after I had everything apart. and it just took a little time and help to get the fuel going from the tank to the injectors. Just an idea that worked for me.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Are you stepping on the gas pedal while you're trying to start the car? If so, you may have flooded the engine with fuel, in which case the engine should start if you let it sit for awhile and then try and start it again with your foot off of the gas pedal. Also, what year is your MKII? Is it an 82? Did you replace the spark plugs with something other than the stock NGK or ND plugs?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been just using NGK platinums.. I've replaced them twice because i fouled out the old set by flooding it with gas.. All the previous attempts to start it, I pushed on the gas and it fouled out my old plugs.. But i installed new ones, checked compression and everyting was fine.. I have some sort of idea that it may be electrical, but still cant figure out why.. When i stop trying to crank my engine a few min. later i can hear the fuel returning back to the tank.. So fuel passage isn't the factor in this dilemma.. I did just about everything to make sure that the fuel line was cleaned out and flowing smoothly.. There were times when it sounded like it would start but it would just die... And yes my supra is an 82...
*thanx for the help... :p
-Melly

·
Registered
136 Posts
Won't start

First you keep saying you know your timing is in. You may have the cams lined up with the crank but what you need to do is make sure your distributor is lined up properly. 1) Take the distributor out. 2) Turn the crank until you are at TDC (if you aen't sure rotate it around again) 3) once you do this take your cap off if it is not already 4) look at the bottom of the distributor and find the line cut in it (this faces up) 5) look at the distributor gear on the bottom you will see the pin and on one side a divit into the metal 6) line that divit up with the line on the dist. 7) once this is done slide the dist. in with those facing up 8) put your dist. bolt in and do not tighten it 9) put your cap back on and try starting the car....if it starts and runs like crap move the dist. some and see if it gets better if not take your cap back off and take the dist. bolt back out, now slowly pull the dist back out and move it one tooth to the right or left (turn the rotor to do this) and put it back together once it is running ok...get your timing light out and jump your timing plug on your 82 it is on the pass side near the AFM pull your vacume lines off the dist and set up your timing light and set it at 8 degrees for a stock car.....keep in mind you need to make sure your idle it set BEFORE you adjust your timing . If that doesn't work call me and sell it to me !!! lol I just went thru the same deal with my 82 MKII in which I changed my ign. pickup coil. What a &@$#!, Any qyestions please email me... :hitit: sorry for the long post...it really sounds like your timing is off some...it is getting fuel and spark but not at the same time!

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
Melly,
Did you get it going?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we figured out that since my car had been sitting out for soo long, it caused my valve stems to get corroded. (spelling?) They were actually stuck... (eek) We brought it to a machine shop and had them clean it out, the head sparkles soo nice... :D
But yeah we also noticed that a stem had been cracked, we told the machinests it was there fault and they agreed to change it free of charge.
Soo as of now were slapping it all back together, double checking to make sure everything is all in order and good to go back in.. I'm going to try and take some pixes of what we did.. Thanx for all the advice...
-Melly

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
Wow - how long was it sittin? I have a 7mgte been sittin on an engine stand in my garage for a few years and finally getting ready to drop in one of my mk2's over this winter. I might better watch for problems like yours.
Anyway, keep us posted on progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts