Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...here's the scoop. I've got a momo adapter and a sparco steering wheel and for some dumb reason I can't figure out why the horn keeps going off without hitting the horn button.

At first i thought it was because the connecter from the the steering wheel to the horn wire was hitting the metal hub. So i wrapped it with electrical tape...and still the horn goes off without hitting the button.

It didn't happen when i first went with this setup. About a week after installing the wheel I'm driving on the hiway and all of sudden the horn start's screaming.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George

·
Registered
129 Posts
George;

I heard someone at the last Supra meet talking about a similar problem. Can't seem to remember his name.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
George, do you have both wires connected properly? There should be a ground connect tab on the steering wheel and another tab on the horn. Obviously when you press the horn you complete the circuit.

Or 2 tabs on the horn assembly like on the Momo horn assemblies. See below

Check to make sure that you have the 2 leads coming from horn assembly.. one to the lead coming from the car, the other to a ground on either the hub or steering wheel. I made a small lead and connected it under one of the screws attaching the steering wheel to the hub. The center tab on the Momo horn is for the horn. The outside tab is for the ground to the car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
ok, this may be irrevelevent... but if the horn is allways on it might help.

I know that import cars are wired so that circuts are given ground to work, rather than power like domestic cars.

not sure if this is any help whatsoever

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
James,

as far as i can see there is only one wire coming out the steering column..tht's it. And there is one wire from the actual steering wheel. I connected these two and like i said, they worked fine for a little. Is there something I'm missing here? I've gotta get this fixed...you wouldn't believe how many psychotic drivers there are in Toronto :lol:

George

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
That is what I remembered on mine. There should be another tab coming from the back of the horn assembly for the ground. If not, then Sparco might have it grounded directly from the horn assembly to the hub adapter.

Do you have pics of the back of the horn assembly?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
2 wires joined into one? Interesting. Are the wires "professionally" joined? One wire should be for the ground and one for the positive which connects with the single wire coming out of the steering column. The other wire should be connected to the horn assembly (I connected mine to where one of the screws attaches to the horn assembly).

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
According to the wiring diagram in my TSRM, the wire that feeds up through the steering column is the ground wire and connects to the horn switch in the steering wheel cover. Touching the end of that wire to ground should make the horns blow. Something with your steering wheel setup could be causing that wire to remain grounded. Bad horn switch, etc..

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supra GTR said:
2 wires joined into one? Interesting. Are the wires "professionally" joined? One wire should be for the ground and one for the positive which connects with the single wire coming out of the steering column. The other wire should be connected to the horn assembly (I connected mine to where one of the screws attaches to the horn assembly).
the two wires are for the 2 seperate horn buttons, see picture:

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/supraless/vwp?.dir=/MK2&.src=ph&.dnm=IMG_0123.jpg&.view=t&.done=http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/supraless/lst?&.dir=/MK2&.src=ph&.view=t

since there's only 1 wire coming out of the steering hub i'm lost completly...here's a questions, if one of the wires on the steering wheel was clipped and the insulation was torn...thereby exposing the actual wire, would this cause this???

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
AH.. two horns.. means 2 wires from the horn assembly.

Yes the exposed wire can cause it to short if it comes into contact with anything metal on the hub, steering wheel or anything else thats connected to the car. Make sure all the metal including connectors are covered with heat shrink tubing or electrical tape.

The one wire from the hub is supposed to connect to the "one" wire from the horn. I'm assuming that Sparco automatically grounds itself to the hub/steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Supra GTR said:
The one wire from the hub is supposed to connect to the "one" wire from the horn. I'm assuming that Sparco automatically grounds itself to the hub/steering wheel.
That's what i thought, that the metal steering wheel will be grounded by the metal hub...i'm gonna take the wheel off and repair the wires and try it again.

Thanks,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts