Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my 1983 P-Type Supra back from a friend. I had sold it to him running and driving, but a year or so later it just randomly died in traffic and refused to start again.

My friend said that the starter no longer engaged. I had the starter replaced in 2018, so maybe it's not the problem.

What could cause it to just up and quit running, and no longer let the starter engage? Any ideas on what the culprit could be? I know the wiring is a friggin' mess thanks to 4 owners before me, so hopefully I don't have to find a place to re-wire the entire car firewall-forward anytime soon. I have it dropped off at the auto-shop I've been going to for over 10+ years, they got their money maker back, haha. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to get running again. But if it does, then it does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently bought my 1983 P-Type Supra back from a friend. I had sold it to him running and driving, but a year or so later it just randomly died in traffic and refused to start again.

My friend said that the starter no longer engaged. I had the starter replaced in 2018, so maybe it's not the problem.

What could cause it to just up and quit running, and no longer let the starter engage? Any ideas on what the culprit could be? I know the wiring is a friggin' mess thanks to 4 owners before me, so hopefully I don't have to find a place to re-wire the entire car firewall-forward anytime soon. I have it dropped off at the auto-shop I've been going to for over 10+ years, they got their money maker back, haha. Hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg to get running again. But if it does, then it does.
Igniter or coil maybe . As for the starter I’d check main fuses and what not

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
it just randomly died in traffic and refused to start again.
Shooting trouble long distance is difficult. It's impossible without some details. Get some more details for us about these random acts. You want us to figure out why it died and why it won't start - two problems. Is there gas in the tank? Running out of gas could explain both problems - the randomly died in traffic and the refusal to start. Does it make any sound when it refuses to start again or is it refusing in silence? Do headlights work? If so, do they dim when the key is turned to start? Details.
The starter would not be the cause for it to "randomly die in traffic". What's your definition of engage? Or your friend's definition of engage? The words random and engage do not provide any detail for anyone to point you in the right direction; next thing you know you're going to start getting random suggestions like check ground or check fuses or ignitor or coil maybe and what not.
What could cause it to just up and quit running, and no longer let the starter engage?
Two different problems but lots of different possibilities for causes and without some information we're just going to be guessing. My first inclination for a problem that could cause it to randomly die And refuse to start again is that it could be a bad alternator. That would cause the car to just randomly die in traffic and refuse to start again - if your alternator isn't working then the car is running on the battery power only until the battery drains and then the car will randomly die in traffic and refuse to start again.

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
More details needed!
What still work and what doesn't, for example.

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is there power? If no, then probably alternator failed and battery went dead.

If yes power, then check for spark. If no spark, test distributor, and ignitor.

If spark, then check for fuel. If no fuel, replace fuel pump.

If starter is spinning but not engaging, the teeth on the starter gear are probably all messed up and the starter will need to be replaced.

If the starter is not engaging, maybe you're just hearing clicking or nothing, try whacking it with a hammer or a bar. Sometimes the solenoid will work again after getting jostled. Either way, starter done for or on it's last legs.

Post some more info, we'll see if we can help.

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
So many possible reasons!
I had a timing belt failure because of a ceased tentionner. Will crank, but never run. Quick check: is the dizzy rotating on crank?

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah.. here we need more information, does it start if you give it a push? -> check starter
Crank but no start? -> gasoline pump or ignition. (smell!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts