Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost have my “new” exhaust manifold back on my block! (My old one had a hole in it) So on to my Supra’s other problem. It doesn’t start :shock: .

At first I thought this was a battery problem or maybe an alternator thing. However I don’t think it’s the alternator because I had it replaced recently. Also it can’t be the battery because you can’t jump start it. However, you can push start it, and then it runs fine. Does this mean I’m going to have to check all of my wires? I know a lot of the wires in my car really look their age…. So any thoughts would be great, Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
Does the car crank at all? If you can push start it it sounds like a starter problem to me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a similar problem with a van. It wouldn't start or crank, and you couldn't jump start it. I replaced the starter and the battery, but nothing changed. Turned out there was corrrosion in the battery cables , and that solved it.

HTH

·
Registered
733 Posts
Sounds like the infamous solenoid contacts. Cheap to fix. You will need to pull the starter to fix that problem. Try energizing the solenoid to check before you pull the starter.

You can also check the wires at the starter. If you have juice at the solenoid when the key is turned......

·
Registered
793 Posts
Also check all your grounds, after time they can corrode quite badly and cause all kinds of nasty effects. You say your wires show thier age, the grounds probably do too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the car doesn’t crank at all. I turn the key and it just makes a click sound. However the radio and headlights all work. So would that mean that it probably isn’t a ground wire?

I have been paging through my Chilton’s repair looking at the starter section. It describes a “spark test” to see if power is getting to the starter. If I do the test and it shows I’m getting power to the starter would that indicate a solenoid problem?

Well thanks for all your thoughts so far. I really don’t know much about cars electrical systems so sorry if I say stuff that doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
174 Posts
cables

Hey MK2Racer and Square are more than likely right. It sounds more like a bad ground or the pos and neg wires are bad. Try replacing them,both of them. It would be a waste of time to buy one, put it on, then figure out its the other one and have to drive to get it. Plus check the ground to the block. Take it off and wire brush the spot where it connects. I had this problem with my 72 chevy c10. Good luck. Because the fualty wire caused a short and caught my engine on fire....... not to mention i had a vavle gasket leake that helped it out by giving it some oil to burn.

I may not be bigger. But my 83 MK2 WILL be faster.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I'll take a look at the ground, if its not that I'll look at the solenoid. thanks for the help! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts