Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Carpet, new dash vents, instrument cluster sag repair

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  SUPER 
#1 ·
Ok, I have been collecting a few parts for a while and about a week ago, I finally got the job done.

Had a couple cracked frames on the AC vents and the defrost vent was beat to crap. Have blue interior so I has to source the right paint for the defrost vents.

Had the original carpet and it was soiled beyond cleaning and worn. So I bought new carpet. Went with dark blue instead of light blue to hide dirt better. Let me know what u think. Bought the mats too.

A special thanks to SMP7mgte for helping me with the dash vents and carpet.

From another post in the restore section about the shifter knob and boot, I replaced those too. Color did not match on new boot and I had to redye it. Knob was a bit worn so I redyed it to. Actually had a shoe guy do it for me.

Last, the vinyl on the instrument panel was sagging and partially covered the turn signal flashers from view. Since the piece was off, I glued and clamped the sagging area and it's all fixed. Anyone else had that issue? Never seen anything on the forum on it.

Here are the pics,

Carpet original

Carpet in without seats

All done + mats

vent broken

vent installed

shifter boot and knob

Sagging vinyl repair
See the sag?

All better

See less See more
#7 ·
yes the dash needs to come out. there is a clamp that holds it in that you can't get to with the dash in. Not too long with a helper that knows what they are doing. Shawn (aka Junkie in a previous life) helped with the dash. I mostly watched. a couple of hours tops. Time in between used to clean and repair.

#8 ·
Looks very sharp. Nice work. I've got extra cowls sitting around if your repair fails. :) Love the dark Blue carpet.

#11 ·
Tom... carpet looks really really great.

I wld buy 2 extra front mats and bring them to an upholstery shop... they cld proably cut em up to replace the carpet areas of the door panels...

just so everything flowed.

I had something silimar done with Phil's 10th Anniversary Trans Am, and the results were stellar.

I know the camera flash exacerbates the color deterioration, but you shld start embracing the idea of redyeing the entire dashpad and console... the HVAC grilles, knockout plugs, lumbar squeezebulb, even the steering wheel spokes are really too far gone.

Im in the same boat with same trouble areas... I guess the blue degrades differently than the black plastics.

I plan on using the SEM aerosol spray... just gotta land of the correct color. I'll spray all of it so everything matches throughout.

Consistency, or rather lack thereof, is one of my biggest peeves in resto work.

Keep up the great work, and keep the pix coming!

#12 ·
I ordered a can of the leather dye that the shoe guy used for the knob and boot and I am going to experiment with it. I have noticed the same areas you did. One thing I did not mention was using the spray blue SEM blue paint to dab on the worn areas on the center console tray (under e brake handle). sprayed into a dish and used a brush. You can see the results in the before and after pics. The color match is much better in real light. Can't remember the color but I started or added to a thread about the correct blue interior paint. I tried many and this is the best match. I will keep fiddling and update on any progress. I really like the boot results!

#20 ·
Done for now.

Thought I would wrap up my winter interior restoration thread. w/ dial up it's a pain to upload pics but finally got around to it.

new weather stripping, carpet and mats, shifter boot (redyed to better match original color), restored shift knob and steering wheel, new defroster vents and ac vents.

vents painted to match dash

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.