Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my carrier bearing has some issues! My car has a bad vibration especially when you down shift. My question is if the CB is the problem where would you guys recommend getting a new one that is good quality and at a decent price? I'm sure TOYOTA wants a small fortune for one! I don't really like putting cheap "AUTO ZONE" parts on the car. But i can't really afford dealer prices either. Does anyone know what the dealer wants for one? I can use my Toyota Land Cruiser Association discount at Jay Mark's Toyota (now called Champion Toyota) in Houston Tx. but I still think it would be pricey. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Worley :)

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
If it IS your carrier bearing that is going bad, get it replaced immediatly! My bearing went bad in my 1st Supra and within 2 days it literally ATE UP the pinion gear in my 4.30 LSD diff. I think the bearing was like $60 from Discount Auto Parts, but I'm not sure. I was too pissed off about the differential to be concerned about getting a high quality bearing, lol

Tanya

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Are you talking about the rear diff (i.e. carrier) bearings or the driveshaft center bearing? The front pinion bearings are 44.66 and 23.16 from Jeff w/SOGI discount. The side ones are like 20-30 bucks each. I haven't bought a ds center bearing from him, but I've heard close to a $100 being mentioned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am refering to the driveshaft center support bearing. i will comfirm tonight to make sure, and will keep you guys posted thanks for the replies! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 84. It vibrates in between accel and decel. Seems like its not getting any worse, but the car jerks and bucks a little when backing up or taking a sharp turn in parking lot situations. I got under the car and grabbed the drive shaft right by the mid support bushing. It seemed to move around in the bushing more than I thought it should. Where is the best place to buy and does this sound like the correct diagnosis?

Thanks.

Jim :mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any lucck finding a cheap bearing? Did you replace the bushing to or is it considered one unit? I still have not fixed mine but I want to before it gets cold. Let me know how your doin...

Jim :drinking:

·
Registered
23 Posts
i just replaced my center bearing and both rear axle bearings.. which was a pain in the ass. the centr wasnt that hard IMO becase you just have to take off the driveshaft at two points then just slide it out... but it cost about $179 at toyota!!!!. i didnt want to put the kragn parts in such a critical place. the transmission seems a lot more sloid now but there is still one noise that pisses me off. when im coasting in first gear at about 5 miles an hour and tap the gas i get a clak, then when i let off the gas i get another clak. im thinking its the tranny mounts themselves, but i have no idea. i first thought it was the center bearing but i was wrong. if anybody would know let me know!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am havinng the same problem

Hello,

My center support bearing I believe is bad. I jacked the back end up and ran the car and got the vibration still. I went under and was able to push the driveshaft a good 1/2 inch up in the bearing. How does that rubber cushion go bad? It only took two days for it to start off as a slight rumble to an all out vibrating noise that I can not stand. Having trouble getting a new one no one has one in stock and I might have to pull a used one until I can get a new one. Another question where is the pinion bearing at? I hope mine is not shoot also.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
any one need one i have 1 from an auto drive shaft. message me.. o did i mention $$ cheap $$

·
Registered
578 Posts
Found my rattle problem

Hello,

Over the weekend I replaced the intermediate shaft with carrier bearing and the sound was still there. I decided to isolate the shaft by running the engine without the propeller shaft connected and the sounds was gone. I looked at the propeller shaft again and noticed the rear u-joint had one axis with movement. The shaft could be moved back and fourth. I immediately went and got the other side of the shaft from the same car that I pulled the intermediate shaft from. Put it in and the sound went away. Its amazing how a little shift from the u-joint can make it drive so bad. You learn on every repair you have to make I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Found my rattle problem

tdream said:
Hello,

Over the weekend I replaced the intermediate shaft with carrier bearing and the sound was still there. I decided to isolate the shaft by running the engine without the propeller shaft connected and the sounds was gone. I looked at the propeller shaft again and noticed the rear u-joint had one axis with movement. The shaft could be moved back and fourth. I immediately went and got the other side of the shaft from the same car that I pulled the intermediate shaft from. Put it in and the sound went away. Its amazing how a little shift from the u-joint can make it drive so bad. You learn on every repair you have to make I guess.
This is GREAT info! I was under my car yesterday and noticed that I could "wiggle" the center carrier bearing in it's bracket at least 1/2 inch - much like you described. It was pretty cold outside, so I didn't do a lot of diagnosis, but it sounds like I probably have the same problem as you.

I really just want to hit up the junkyard and find a "good" prop shaft setup to swap in, as I don't want to spend much on this right now with so many other aspects of the car that need attention. Is this what you did? Is just the bushing replaceable?

Thanks for any info! 8)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bumpo, any more carrier bearing tips? 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here Is an update! :oops: I did posotively find out it was the Center support bearing and some other things have came up and I have not fixed it , but it does not interfere with the dependability of the car so It got put on the back burner. I have not found a cheaper, quality part to replace It either. :cry: if anyone else has anything to add to this thread please do! thanks In advance Worley

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought it was the carrier bearing...took it of...it was fine...I think it is hot spots on the fly wheel/clutch. Hasnt changed much car still drives fine...I love Supras...Its my first one...84. :lol: :eek:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Would a 1piece drive shaft solve the center support issue?

I hate driveline noise :mad:

will

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Was there any whine involved in your carrier bearing going bad.
I have made my 65mph-75mph diff whine my #1 priority.
Just starting my research now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts