Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well going thru my stash of MA, XX, RA stuff I thought of posting some info on the GTS Vert..

Window Sticker

GTS Owners Manual and Convertible Supplement

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That is awesome. You have a ton of cool stuff that you keep finding that you stashed away.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Factory Press Photographs from the 1985 Press Kit sent to potential owners and dealerships...

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
85 Vert Supplement to the '85 Celica TSRM

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliment...lots of members here more worthy then me... Mr. G for one!!

There should be a link to you in the archives.

·
Registered
727 Posts
naw man... Ive got no GTS info.

I cant get over the msrp on that GTS vert... 17.7 is alotta coin

nice share Arch... cant say ive ever seen this stuff
The 1985 Supra "P" type with leather, automatic, and sunroof was the first Toyota to hit $20,000 MSRP.

A bit of trivia just for comparison.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My '86 was $17,353 with only 2 options, Sunroof and floor mats...leather was $700 but not on mine ;-(

The other '86 widnow sticker on the media page was $18,053 with leather...

http://www.celicasupra.com/images/windecker0.jpg

$20,000 is legit with auto and sales tax....

My wifes '86 Celica GTS was over $18K new fully equipped w/5spd, I would think dealers would of been dealn on "old" Celica Supras on the floor with the MKIIIs coming in on the trucks....

·
Registered
727 Posts
I forgot for the moment that at the time I was working at a dealer in one of the independently owned distributor areas of the country (Mid Atlantic Toyota), which served the states of Pa, De, Md, Va, and WV. There was separate (higher, of course) pricing than that of the rest of the country.

In the early 1990's Toyota bought back MAT (Mid Atlantic Toyota), renamed it Central Atlantic Toyota, and put pricing in line with the rest of the factory run distributors.

I probably should also have mentioned that the $20,000 MSRP would've included port installed accessories such as undercoating, floor mats, sunroof wind deflector, and pinstripes. Note that these items were all listed on the factory window stickers of the independent distributors, not a dealer addendum label. The $20,000 MSRP made quite an impression on me at the time.

Of course Southeast Toyota (serving NC, SC, Ga, and Fl) had the highest MSRP's...most of their cars came through with even more ridiculous add on's such as hood ornaments, side rain deflectors and the ever-popular hockey stripe decal.

Just thought I should clarify here before anyone sends the bullshit police after me!;)

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bill, figured as much...please feel free to add to these threads especially based on your experience...

Would of been interesting to see my dealer add on sheet for the '86, I bought it used in '88 at the same dealer it originally sold at.

I forgot for the moment that at the time I was working at a dealer in one of the independently owned distributor areas of the country (Mid Atlantic Toyota), which served the states of Pa, De, Md, Va, and WV. There was separate (higher, of course) pricing than that of the rest of the country.

In the early 1990's Toyota bought back MAT (Mid Atlantic Toyota), renamed it Central Atlantic Toyota, and put pricing in line with the rest of the factory run distributors.

I probably should also have mentioned that the $20,000 MSRP would've included port installed accessories such as undercoating, floor mats, sunroof wind deflector, and pinstripes. Note that these items were all listed on the factory window stickers of the independent distributors, not a dealer addendum label. The $20,000 MSRP made quite an impression on me at the time.

Of course Southeast Toyota (serving NC, SC, Ga, and Fl) had the highest MSRP's...most of their cars came through with even more ridiculous add on's such as hood ornaments, side rain deflectors and the ever-popular hockey stripe decal.

Just thought I should clarify here before anyone sends the bullshit police after me!;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ya know, Arch, I thought some more about this and if I recall (not like 25 years ago was yesterday!:duh:) I think the Supra I saw with the $20k MSRP also had factory (distributor) installed rustproofing and paint sealant...what we in the industry referred to as "rust and dust". That would not have been normally found on any of the Toyota's of the time since it was much cheaper for the dealers to do it on location.

I just remember getting a couple of my buddies together and pointing at the window sticker in awe.

My how times have changed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
somebody fetch me a DeLorean with a Mr Fusion pkg... I miss those days!

Billy.. no bullshit from you EVER!

and whoever installed those rust n dust addendum stickers mustve had the biggest cojones!

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill agreed!! Same here in the fire service, times have changed!!

I used to just laugh at the add on dealer write up...

And I used to mess with the salesman when I had the '86 in for warranty service, they didnt know it was an '86???...

Ya know, Arch, I thought some more about this and if I recall (not like 25 years ago was yesterday!:duh:) I think the Supra I saw with the $20k MSRP also had factory (distributor) installed rustproofing and paint sealant...what we in the industry referred to as "rust and dust". That would not have been normally found on any of the Toyota's of the time since it was much cheaper for the dealers to do it on location.

I just remember getting a couple of my buddies together and pointing at the window sticker in awe.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Thanks Arch. This was especially interesting to me, since I just acquired a 194k 85 GTS Convertible. I've got my super-cherry stock wheels on it, rockin' 25 year old Dunlops, and one OE Potenza!
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NICE!! Color either white, red or black with black top (only)...

I had read somewhere that there was actually '84 GTS converts made prior to ASC?? converting the '85s for Toyota??

Thanks Arch. This was especially interesting to me, since I just acquired a 194k 85 GTS Convertible. I've got my super-cherry stock wheels on it, rockin' 25 year old Dunlops, and one OE Potenza!
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bill, IIRC the 86.5 MKIII 7MGEs were $23Kish on the floor, thats why I thought the GTS was a deal at $18K???

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
oohhh... now youre testing me Arch.

I remember attending the 1982 or 1983 NY auto show and receiving a 1 pg color sheet on the the early Celica Notchback conversion.

I'll do some digging... I throw nothing away pertainin to these cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts