Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to see a Facebook ad for an '85 Celica GTS on Facebook just a few days ago, for what looked to be a very reasonable price. Tired of my current daily driver, I decided to take a chance and go look at it. To my astonishment, except for a couple of rusty patches in front of the rear tires, the car's body was in fantastic shape! The nitrogen cylinders for the rear hatch are perfect, the weatherstripping's fine, and the engine looks to be in great shape. The sunroof doesn't even leak!

Given the price, it was a no-brainer. Head and heart both gave an emphatic 'YES' to the buy, so now I own a white GTS.

The bad:

There are some wiring problems. Previous owner accidentally hooked up the battery backwards. We'll see how bad that is. He also used the back for hauling trash and tree branches, so it's pretty gacked. Hopefully that cleans up! The seats are beautiful, door panels good. The rear seat surrounds have the vinyl tops all cracked and sun-flayed, the dash is badly cracked and warped, the heater/AC vents are busted and broken out, and the radio's missing. I think I can handle all of it just fine.

Anyone happen to have a spare 3rd gen Celica head unit for sale? =)

Glad to be a part of the site, and looking forward to meeting all of you.

·
Founding Member
6,228 Posts
Welcome. Where are our manners? Two days and nobody has said hello yet. :eek: Apologies for my tardiness. I usually try to welcome the newbies but been a madhouse at work and too tired to log on yesterday. :sleep:

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
I'm also guilty of not welcoming new members right away,Phil. Yes,there are GTS owners and knowledge beyond imagination right here on this channel.We are all very proud of our machines.
I try NOT to treat my car like a truck,but I do.https://imgur.com/637zeVK Branches?No, I'll draw the line right there.o_O

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

GOOD NEWS - A new battery, fusible link, some air in the tires, and my car fired up and drove like it'd been driven and parked yesterday. Best money I ever spent. SO EXCITED.

On the downside: My rear diff is howling like a banshee. Anyone have a spare rear end?

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
Yeah,a radio is needed to drown out the screaming differential!
It may be low on gear oil. If you choose to drain and fill the diff,Red Line is magical.
My supra has a whine at highway speeds and I changed out the diff oil and just live with the noise.

Be sure that the alternator is charging and so on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's worse than that. Upon inspecting the gear oil, the darn thing was full of water. How it got in there, I've no idea, but even with the mayonnaise drained out and fresh gear oil in there, the diff is growling more than Christian Bale as Batman. It is not long for this Earth, I fear.

·
Premium Member
5,363 Posts
YUKK! So water is not a good diff lube. The bearings are ..toast.Well,by now it's all scrap iron.What diffs will replace that mess?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, right now it's at the shop getting new tires. After that, I'm gonna look up my axle code and find out if it's the 6.7 or 7.5". I found a place (LCE Performance) that sells gears for the 6.7. I can't seem to find ANYONE selling gears for the 7.5, unless the later truck front axles will fit. Assuming I can find a gear set, then I can just get new bearings, and TADA!

This has been kind of surrealistic so far. Finding parts for my 53 year old Mercury (which was basically made only in '67-68) is a breeze! Finding parts for these awesome old Toyotas? Not so much! How is it that I remember so many people having these when I was younger, but they don't exist now? Crazy.

Any of you racers have a diff, stereo with all the EQ sliders, etc, driver's side Celica blinker corner cover, or maybe the door molding? (That's another cutie. When it started to fall off, someone put it back on with a wood screw. lol)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aaand I just red the sticky in this thread, so maybe I should put a pic of me too! I'm the one that's not Eddie Munster. (Butch Patrick)

·
Founding Member
6,228 Posts
Finding parts for my 53 year old Mercury (which was basically made only in '67-68) is a breeze!
Which model of Mercury do you have? I've restored a couple of Mustangs from that era, tho I've since sold them on. More recently working on early C3 corvettes. Its great that I could buy virtually everything out of a catalog for those cars, but have also spent a lot of time hunting down nos and original date-coded used parts.

Unfortunately, US sales of mk2 Supras were only around 120K for all five years, compared to like half a million a year for Mustangs. And Toyota didn't exactly yet have a loyal fanbase in the early 80s so almost none were treated as treasured family heirlooms or collectibles. They also suffered from their own reliability. Because they'd run for 250K miles easy, they did. Very few were stored away in a barn at only 70K miles with merely a bad transmission, rather people kept driving them, and driving and driving till they rusted or sun-baked into oblivion and there was nothing left worth saving. Don't know anything about Celica sales volumes, but while I'm sure they sold more than Supras, being less expensive, they probably suffered the same treatment even worse. That leaves very few surviving today upon which to base an aftermarket/reproduction parts business.

George at Raptor Racing has managed to get a few relatively inexpensive parts reproduced. We've done a few "group buys" over the years, but if it takes more than $100 deposit from more than about 30 of us to fund the development of a die or jig or pattern, then we usually fall short. We cleaned out the US Toyota parts warehouses about 15-20 years ago, but Toyota Japan still has a few items. You can try www.amayama.com.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a '67 Mercury Cougar XR7, Phil. Thanks for the tips on finding parts! I'll check 'em out. =)

I always felt like the early Supras and 3rd gen Celicas were the cars that really caught people's attention for Toyota in the 80s. The Corollas and Camry may have been their real moneymakers, but few people fell in love with those because of styling. The angular but sleek lines of these sporty cars of ours were what made me decide that Toyota had more than just engineering ability. I'll always love them - regardless of what it takes to keep mine on the road!

·
Founding Member
6,228 Posts
We've got a really active local Cougar club that often comes out in force. I've counted over 20 of them at one car show. I wish we could get that kind of participation from our Supra owners but not enough of us nearby for that.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
Agreed. Welcome to the board!

So if you do indeed have an 85 and a GTS (do you have flares?), then you are the proud owner of a 7.5 independent rear with a 3.9 r&p. Highly sought after! LSD was optional on that year too (most were still open). If its howling, especially with water in it (the diff at least was likely submerged at some point), the bearings are probably shot. Replacing the bearings is easier then replacing that r&p, but I'd rip it open and inspect the gears to see if it's worth rebuilding. A 4.1 from an auto mk2 Supra will bolt in and won't be too horrible with that motor, but the more common 4.3 from the 5spds will suck. 3.72s would work well as well, 82 Sypra 5spds had those. The limited slip from any of those will bolt in. Check out Weir performance. They have a solid pinion spacer and LSD rebuild kit for the 7.5. Highly recomend the pinion, the factory crush ones suck. It's hard to find LSDs that haven't worn out the plates too. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It definitely has flares. Glad to finally get confirmation of which rear end the thing should have, but bummed because I'm not sure where I'll get new rear gears for this thing. Are the 7.5 ring and pinion sets for truck front axles the same as the gears in our diffs? (I'll check out Weir!) My grand plan is to fix this thing up, and daily it. Since I'll spend a lot of time at 80 mph, I'll probably want lower rear gears, rather than something over 4:1 if I can get 'em. Failing that, I'll try to get a dead Supra and see what I can do.

Having driven a lot of earlier inline 4's in other Toyotas, including my dad's old truck with a 22R, and a first and 2nd gen MR2 that I owned, I have at least some idea of what's in store. With the Celica being so much slipperier than dad's truck, I'm sure it'll do a little better on the top end, and mileage-wise too. Gotta love the absolute reliability of these cars. I've not driven a Toyota for more than 15 years, but the impression of rock-solid dependability and over-engineering really stays with you. Even an old tired Toyota is a pleasant driving experience, compared to most newer cars after 4-5 years of use.

Thanks for the help, advice, and support, guys.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
For sure. Don't write off your r&p yet either. The howling is from the bearings. Maybe your r&p are in poor shape too now from being in that crap oil, or from milage, but they generally last a really long time (if not forever when behind a 22r or stock 5m).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SupraFiend, if the bearing races in the diff are trashed, does anyone make sleeves to repair these? I get the impression it's a lost cause, but since I'm at the low end of the learning curve here, I'd like to make sure before I ditch the pumpkin! (I'll take a look once I have it out, anyway)

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
New bearings come with new races. The carrier bearings are a little tricky to get through, they actually have races unique to this pumpkin. I think we can still get them from Toyota, but the aftermarket is tough to get the right race, despite what they have listed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tip. I'll wait to see what I've got and then figure out what to do with the old pumpkin and gears.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts