Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am planning an 85-87 cressida 2jzge vvt-i build. i’ve decided on running a w58 5spd. will the w58 from an ra65 celica work, or is the markiii supra the only one with the correct shifter position? is there any way i could use a w58 from a celica and just use the tailpiece from a supra? i have access to tons of celica parts for super cheap so that’s why i’m asking.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
W58 is a W58. Only internal variance is the center bearing plate being aluminum (5M) or steel(most 7M/JZ). Bellhousings are engine series specific. 5M and 7M have same bellhousing. JZ has a different bellhousing. The shifter position for the celica is the same as the celica supra, MKIII and SC has a different shifter position.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I’d try to get a steel sandwich plate trans from a NA mk3, and then change the shift arm and shift tower out for one from a 3rd gen Celica, mk2 Celica Supra or 5M Cressida.

·
Super Moderator
10,526 Posts
ra6x Celica is the same as a mk2 Supra shifter position. There is no celica that uses the same shifter as the mk3 supra. They're probably easier to get a hold of at this point in time anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have a mk2 you can use the stock w58 just change to a w58 2jz bell housing. I just did it, it was a pain to try and use the w58 from a mk4 we changed internal parts for the shifter, it doesn't line up. You have to drill and tap the shifter bar inside the transmission to make the mk4 tranny to work. Hope this help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts