Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm not sure but these might be different from USDM Celica Supra.
I took some interior pictures today. Today was raining all day and very cloudy here in Japan, so pictures might be little dark.

Interior:

Back mirror remote control switch is on dash, not on the console.

Is Australian-DM Supra or UK (RHD) have same switch at same place as JDM XX?

Inside glove compartment box is bare plastic, without fabric.
I thought USDM Supra have fabric like inside wall...?

JDM 2000GT and 2000G-Turbo have speed alarm if car is not equiped with optional auto cruise/auto drive.
So this speed alarm is standard (not optional) for 2000GT and 2000G-Turbo.
Only 2800GT had auto cruise standard, optional for 2000GT,2000G, and 2000S.

Most of XX owners never use this...except when first own XX and found this switch!

Only 2000GT(1G-GEU) Rev. counter displays 9000rpm.

Ofcourse JDM, caution on the driver seat upper door trim is written in Japanese.

I'll post more if I notice some others.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Satoshi...Thanks for the pictures...its neat to see that the JDM Celica XX's have the foglight switch on the instrument cluster....the USDM are next to the parking brake release handle

·
Registered
682 Posts
its neat to see that the JDM Celica XX's have the foglight switch on the instrument cluster....the USDM are next to the parking brake release handle
No, Fog lamp is at the console near side break release handle.

Fog lamp switch and door lock switch are on the console.
Switch showing 'P' on this picture is 'Parking Switch'.

Outer part of tail lamps and front small lights turn on with this switch on.
Here is how it works when 'Parking switch' is on.

Inner tail lamps, rear license plate light, and instruments/dash guage lights never turn on with this switch.
So this is different from turning on light switch 'small'.

Here is comparison with small light on.

P-switch on:

Small lights on:

Well, this is another useless gimmick!?, and this was not for some Japanese law.
Most of us never use this switch.
Because instruments/dash guage lights never turn on with this switch, so it makes driver forget light is on.

Does 'Celica Supra' have this switch?

Celica XX in these pictures is modified, installing USDM side markers and door mirrors, and lots of others are not in original stock condition.

·
Registered
682 Posts
1984 April through May.

'Super 2000GT' (black limited / white limited) was on limited sale.(1G-GEU Manual Transmission)
These are limited version, only 400 'Black Limited' and 400 'White Limited' were made.
Equiped with USDM earlier model's rear hatch visor spoiler, special billboard type gold 'CELICA XX' decal on rear hatch, gold 'TWINCAM24' deacals on front fenders, gold 'TWINCAM24' emblem on the front grill, specialy painted gold rim, leather steering wheel and shift knob, and special stereo head with equalizer.
Head light washers were not on this limited edition XX.
Black color was only available with this Black limited for JDM.
Other specifications are same as 1984 2000GT.

Head light washers:
2800GT,2000GT, and 2000G had head lamp washer through all years.
Super 2000GT Black/White limited,2000G-Turbo,2000S-Turbo,2000S, and 2000L didn't get head lamp washer even on optional.

Fender mirrors.
Japanese law didn't permit door mirror (door mirror was illegal) till 1983 law change.
So Celica XX 1981-19823(earlier model) have fender mirrors.
Even law was changed, all car was able to choose fender mirror optionaly, even MA70 Supra MkIII had fender mirror in option!
Nobody chose fender mirror, but some old people tend to like fender mirrors.
And we can still see lot of fender mirrors on taxi in Japan.

All Celica XX fender mirror had electric remote adjuster.

·
Super Moderator
8,261 Posts
I'd love to have that 7300RPM redline tach for my car since I have the fuel cut set at 7200RPM on my car. Its weird how the gauges are in different spots though. I like the mirror switch there as well better.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks for information!
I never thought guages are in different spot.
JDM is like:
(Speed)(Tacho)
(oil pres.)(Water temp.)(Fuel)(Voltage)
1G-GEU tacho guage is 7700rpm red line.
Fuel cut at 7800rpm.
Any way, your 7M-GTE engine must really with the horses!!

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Does 'Celica Supra' have this switch?
Our "Parking Switch" is integrated into the headlight switch..
1st click -- headlight pods pop up, all lights are off.
2nd click -- parking lights come on.
3rd click -- headlights come on.

For the 83 - 86's:

1st click, nothing happens.
2nd click, parking lights come on.
3rd click, headlights come on & headlight pods pop up.
Turn back one click, headlights off, headlight pods still up, parking lights still on.
Turn back one more click, ALL lights are off, headlight pods still up. THIS FEATURE comes in handy when you need to wash the headlights (when you're washing the car).
Turn back one last click: Headlight pods retract.

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for information!
I never thought guages are in different spot.
JDM is like:
(Speed)(Tacho)
(oil pres.)(Water temp.)(Fuel)(Voltage)
1G-GEU tacho guage is 7700rpm red line.
Fuel cut at 7800rpm.
Any way, your 7M-GTE engine must really with the horses!!

also, our instrument cluster surround is in two pieces, on the left we have a dimmer switch, on the right where your parking switch, there's nothing, just a blank panel

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thank you very much for information on light switches!

It sounds JDM and USDM have same head light switch.
Just 'P-switch' and 'P-switch lighting pattern' is 'extra' for JDM.
1st click,nothing happens.
2nd click small lights (Parking light) on.
3rd click headlight on and pods pop up.
Exactly same!
And 1981-early 1982 models have same switch with USDM 1982.

And I found from your picture that USDM have leather steering wheel and shift knob!
Only limited edition 'Super 2000GT' have leather stuff for JDM.

It's kind of funny to look same interior as my XX, but driver seat is on opposite side like mirror!:)

Thank you.

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Outer part of tail lamps and front small lights turn on with this switch on.
Here is how it works when 'Parking switch' is on.

Only our tail lights don't do that, lol. The only time I ever see a Supras taillights look like that is when they have bad lightbulbs

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
What an awesome thread !!!

... still waiting for Dr. Eng to weigh in.
Sorry, just now trying to catch up on new threads.

I swear, everytime Satoshi posts up new info on the JDM CelicaXX's, I have to pick myself off the floor, because I'm learning something new everyday & it still boggles my mind to this very day, since Satoshi joined the forums.

Now I'm not sure if this was covered or not (if so, someone yell at me if it was mentioned already in one of the other postings), but which of the CelicaXX models had the voice warning system in japanese (ie: "headlights on", "door ajar", "fasten seatbelts", etc..)?? I know for sure the GA 60's had them (at least some, depending on the model). Can't remember if any of the 2800GT's or any of the MA63's had them. Or... Was this either a standard or optional features in all CelicaXX models???

Slightly off topic: Next year when we are doing Forum Nominations again: My vote for "Most Informative" is going to Satoshi!! We definitely have learned quite ALLOT this past year from him, at least for us CelicaXX trivia geeks!! :facesjump

BTW: Another vote for making this a sticky!!!! Eventually, this should also be moved into the FAQ.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thank you so much for your kind coments on me!
As I got and gets so many informations and knowledge from here, I'm happy if my knowledge helps somebody.

--------------------------

Electronic Speak Monitor.
Electronic voice warning system name was "Electronic Speak Monitor".
It was available standard in 1981-1983(earlier model) 2800GT(MA61) only.
Never had on 2000GT,2000G,2000S,2000L(GA61) or 2000G-Turbo,2000S-Turbo(MA63) even in optional.

This system had independent computer from engine computer.
So this system have independent wiring running through the car.
Location of 'Electronic Speak Monitor' computer is on right side of rear seat, under the triangle window.

It speaks when:
*opening driver side door with key in the ignition switch.
*lights are on when you stop the engine.
*fuel warning light is on.
*door is open/not shut completely while car is running.
*start running car with hand brake lever up.
Not on the seat belt. Japan didn't have a law for fastening seat belt at that time.

No GA61 had this system even optional.
If there were some GA61 with this, some owner(previouse owner) swapped this system from MA61.
At the time XX debut, some people wanted this system.
But if there were, he/she must had really hard working on swapping this system.

--------------------------

Leather Seats.
Leather Seats were available in only optional for 1981-1983 (earlier model) 2000G, 2000G-Turbo, 2000GT, and 2800GT.

I never saw leather seats on JDM XX except swapped from GZ/MZ10 Soarar, so it must be very rare!
(GZ10,MZ10,MZ11 Soarar had same sports seat as XX seats.)

---------------------------

Security Alarm:
JDM XX never had security alarm even on optional.
Did all USDM Celica Supra MkII had security alarm? Or was it in optional?

---------------------------

And there is no engine such as 5M-GE, 1G-GE or M-TE different from 5M-GEU,1G-GEU or M-TEU forJDM XX.
Engine number on the engine is just written 'M-TE', but for JDM this means it's M-TEU.
So when you saw 'M-TE' or '5M-GE' on the JDM XX engine, it's 'M-TEU' or '5M-GEU'.
This last 'U' stands for 'engine with catalizer', so Toyota just write M-TE on the engine instead of writing M-TEU.
On 1978, Japan had a law like USA that car must have catalizer, so there is no engine without catalizer for JDM XX.

Sorry it takes long sentences to just explain this...this is my best english to explain this.:duh:
Is this understandable?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Satoshi your english is perfect ...don't worry its better than some of the people who have english as their first language...the only year that USDM Supras had the security alarm was in 1985/1986

21 - 40 of 99 Posts