Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this looking at pics on google but cant find any other info? there was a twin turbo version that came with a different Hood and front bumper? They twin
2dbb5-mkiiblitzttkit.jpg
turbo a 6M or something?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st bullet point is that it is for a 1G-G24Valve. So I would assume it is an upgrade for the JDM 1G-GEU that was offered in the XX. MKIIIs got a 1G-GTE.
I didnt notice that, pic was small on my phone lol... I had no idea that engine was offered in a MK2, very interesting!

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Its the standard engine in Japan, and the more common swap is the 1ggte from the mk3. Just like here, except 5mge to 7mgte.

This is an add for an Aftermarket (Blitz) variant, kind of like the Cartech Celica Supras we got here. Very cool, bet those parts are rare as hell over there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the standard engine in Japan, and the more common swap is the 1ggte from the mk3. Just like here, except 5mge to 7mgte.

This is an add for an Aftermarket (Blitz) variant, kind of like the Cartech Celica Supras we got here. Very cool, bet those parts are rare as hell over there.
that awesome, I love that hood I am curious if it was actually something you could buy or just a custom for the pics,

·
Registered
118 Posts
the 1G-GE isn’t the “standard” engine in Japan. There were 4 different engine options, and they’re all fairly well spread around. Probably with the exception of the 1G-E, which only came in low-spec cars.

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
The M-Teu was only offered in 82 and is very rare.
The 5mge was offered, but the displacement tax and the Japanese's preference for high revving 4 valve per cylinder motors meant very few sold with them.
Maybe they sold a significant number of 1g-eus back in the day, but I didn't see a single one when I was there.

Back in 2006 I traveled to Tokyo and a board member threw an XX meet for me. There were 12 a60s that showed up. One was an imported US Celica Supra with a 5mge of course. 1 had a 1ggte swap done to it (previously was a 1gge car). 1 M-Teu car showed up. One original 5mge XX showed up, and it was custom turboed to 450hp and covered in rare vintage parts. The rest were all 1gges. So if you want to go and dig up some sales stats and see how many 1gges vs 1ges sold in japan back in the day, be my guest. But I assure you that the majority of the surviving XXs over there have 1GGEs under the hood.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The M-Teu was only offered in 82 and is very rare.
The 5mge was offered, but the displacement tax and the Japanese's preference for high revving 4 valve per cylinder motors meant very few sold with them.
Maybe they sold a significant number of 1g-eus back in the day, but I didn't see a single one when I was there.

Back in 2006 I traveled to Tokyo and a board member threw an XX meet for me. There were 12 a60s that showed up. One was an imported US Celica Supra with a 5mge of course. 1 had a 1ggte swap done to it (previously was a 1gge car). 1 M-Teu car showed up. One original 5mge XX showed up, and it was custom turboed to 450hp and covered in rare vintage parts. The rest were all 1gges. So if you want to go and dig up some sales stats and see how many 1gges vs 1ges sold in japan back in the day, be my guest. But I assure you that the majority of the surviving XXs over there have 1GGEs under the hood.
Ok, so the MA63 (M-TEU) was available right through to '85, well I assume that the Toyota parts catalogue is correct.....

I couldn't comment on what is left in Japan now, but looking at the auction sites it looks like there are more 2.0's left now. What I can tell is that when we were getting imports here in the 80's and 90's it was fairly well spread around.

Regardless, your statement that the 1G-GE was the "Standard" engine is incorrect. The most common, and preferred for sporty driving perhaps, bu not standard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts