Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some rocker moulding TLC, I moulded a set of cf runners

Weight: 133 grams (1/4 lb each with foam)

Installed:

Although I'm quite happy with the result, still a little underwhelmed since you can hardly see it under there :ugh:

Apart from being a necessary garnish and somewhat protecting the rockers, it really isn't very functional IMO.

Dr Jim mentioned rocker extensions and Gamble gave me the idea of side skirts :cool:

...so I made a quick a clone of the mould in fiberglass to test fit

I tried using the original rails as support - fits over it like a glove, easily mounted

then I took a little closer inspection, removed the rail and mounted it directly to the rocker

the hollow moulding follows the natural curved rocker sill and tucks in under the door

something will have to be done here for both L&P types, I'm open to suggestions :confused:

Mounted on rails or minus the rails, I can make them in either dry or wet carbon fiber if there is interest :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Shed some weight...OEM style cf rails - foam filled, can be drilled and/or stuck with mounting tape:

I can make a run of these or just the pre-moulded carbon fiber uncut for a DIY project, cuts cost...plz chime in with ideas

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
I think most people will be interested in rust free and proof rocker moldings that look like stock. Obviously a coat of paint will accomplish that, but if you could do a black resin then paint chips wouldn't be an issue. Also, is this a new mold from what you posted above? Hard to tell in the pics, but most looking for stock replacement are going to want a product that is as straight and true as the original part. Its hard to tell from these photos and with clear resin but they look kinda wavy.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
After some rocker moulding TLC, I moulded a set of cf runners
something will have to be done here for both L&P types, I'm open to suggestions :confused:

Mounted on rails or minus the rails, I can make them in either dry or wet carbon fiber if there is interest :)
Could you make mud flaps or even mud flap/fender arches combo that would fit to the rocker? (I know I'm talking body kit territory here, but it doesn't seem like body kits are available anymore...)

This would go great with the TS CF hood and CF hatch I have on the way.

will

*edit* note I'm personally bias since I have broken mud flaps as well as flairs lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think most people will be interested in rust free and proof rocker moldings that look like stock. Obviously a coat of paint will accomplish that, but if you could do a black resin then paint chips wouldn't be an issue. Also, is this a new mold from what you posted above? Hard to tell in the pics, but most looking for stock replacement are going to want a product that is as straight and true as the original part. Its hard to tell from these photos and with clear resin but they look kinda wavy.
The pics are from a prototype. The epoxy can be painted. I know what you mean by straight and true, Seamus. These originally come out straight as an arrow from the mould. It wasn't until I injected them with a closed-cell foam that they bulged under pressure between the vent holes. Once moulded and cured; however, carbon fiber has a memory and it basically sprung back after I trimmed off excess foam and vacuumed it a second round.

Seems most guys seem to like the glossy 'wet' look, personally I prefer matt 'dry' carbon fiber. These were a compromise. I used a new method out of necessity for the carbon-fiber pre-preg that allowed me to vacuum bag it with low resin. Since I ran out of low-viscosity epoxy on a holiday weekend, today I tried my UV activated resin using the same method. Hopefully it'll be a sunny day tomorrow.

Could you make mud flaps or even mud flap/fender arches combo that would fit to the rocker? (I know I'm talking body kit territory here, but it doesn't seem like body kits are available anymore...)

This would go great with the TS CF hood and CF hatch I have on the way.
A bodykit in carbon fiber would be really sweet, this is just the first step. Maybe I should just mould a set of OEM mudflaps :sarcasm:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It's also worth mentioning, paint chips won't be a problem with the 'dry' system, since there is very little excess resin to chip and the epoxy isn't as brittle as poly resin.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a new method out of necessity for the carbon-fiber pre-preg that allowed me to vacuum bag it with low resin. Since I ran out of low-viscosity epoxy on a holiday weekend, today I tried my UV activated resin using the same method. Hopefully it'll be a sunny day tomorrow.
The saturated polyester resin was a bitch to work with. First it stinks to high hell and you have to shut all the doors and windows so it won't activate (makes the house reek, had to appease the wifey :naughty:). Sweating like a pig the mask slips off your face and you get buzzed from the vapours. I had to take several breaks in fresh air. Next, it is stickier than epoxy, so it doesn't lay down as well in a vaccum bag. It also eats through latex, vinyl and nitrile gloves like crazy. Then, since it's UV cured and the release layer blocks the sun's rays, only the release layer and soakers cured the first round. They had to be peeled off. This was an unnecessary and difficult step since the laminated layers hadn't cured and the whole project could be ruined if they came unglued. I stuck the whole thing put back into vacuum under the sun again. We'll see...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The carbon fiber also acted as a UV barrier, which is what I had expected after yesterday's fiasco, so I had layers of uncured cf pre-impregnated with UV activated resin. What to do? Using the fiberglass form I made yesterday, I added more resin, laid it in and stuck it out in the sun again. Considering it was experimental, I managed to pull it out of the hat

At least the longer cf section gives a better idea of what a double-rocker sideskirt might look like. I like the fact that the mould can be cut and used to cover existing rocker rails individually or mounted without as mocked up below:

The indented form provides added strength. With support from the mudflaps I believe an epoxy 'dry' carbon fiber application might not look bad at all. Lesson learned, using UV activated resin may be okay in direct application, but not for cf vacuum bagging. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next up to bat...dry carbon fiber rails:

..weighs approx. 150 grams

flat surface allows easy mounting with double sided tape

At this point, they can easily be sanded smooth, clear coated or painted

I have the process down now...gauging interest in either wet or dry carbon fiber rocker rails for a September CS.com group buy

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
don't take lake of response as lack of interest. I've been watching your posts but don't have anything constructive to add other than " I WANT"

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man :thumbsup:

Not sure which direction to turn my attention, I admit I prefer prototyping to production.

Hey if the mood strikes you, by all means chime in...

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Side and rocker mouldings, if with a great finish, ready to install, will sell.
The images above are not showing that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Agreed Jocelyn, they were not finished. The first set had some epoxy seams from the bag and slight deformation (shown in pic) - though they have straightened since but they were just prototypes and I wasn't trying to be perfect.

The second set was done differently and crystalized in the dry cf process. It is easier to sand than the wet and when clearcoated will definitely shine.

Each project has it's own set up, and though I am not a factory, once I'm rolling I'd like to make a run. I was hoping that I could trim off some of the cost, doing the grunt work making forms, members could finish them as desired. This project will be shelved for now & the rails will be put to good use.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Those rockers are looking great! I would want a set, but I just installed some NOS rockers on my car last spring. Keep up the good work. IM LOVING IT.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks man, they actually look better in person, the camera picks up any flaws. Typically when making prototypes it's an experiment, one doesn't use the top grade material. Glad you managed to find a set of NOS rockers, and they're not cheap by any means. I suppose if one were needed in a pinch, one could simply cut some garage door seal.

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
If you manage to make a set of near perfect reproduction, OEM looking rocker mouldings out of composite, price them reasonably, represent them well and have the capacity to keep up with demand you will sell as many of them as you can make here. No offence, but the CF look appeals to maybe 25 percent of the folks on this board. Most of us are into restoring these things to like new condition and the farthest most want to deviate from Toyota's original design when it comes to the exterior is tint and 17 inch wheels. There is currently no supply for these pieces and almost everyone's original ones have rotted by now, plus Toyota hasn't been able to sell a complete set for a couple years now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts