Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm basically new to this site and I know what your all thinking another nueb that doesn't know his ass from his valve cover. I've been on alltrac.net more than any other forum but I needed help with my supra for the first time. Basically I'll lay it out, I have a 1990 toyota Supra 7mge automatic with 181010 miles on it. Recently before I was going to sell it something happened. I got back from the shooting range and my car and a terrible time starting and started revving wildly, up to about 2500 3000 before dropping and doing the same. I thought this was weird. I was told by my father to charge the battery to reset the car and to park it and rev it up to a clear what ever was wrong with it. It's seemed to work because he's heard of the revving problem before. I was wondering though why the car was dead though?.. So I basically charged the battery and thought it was a freak thing. On my trip to up north though my voltage started to drop and I got stranded. After limping the car to a repair shop he tested the out going plug from the alternator and said there wasn't any voltage coming through it so it must have gone out. I was like alright got a new alternator assuming that was my original problem. After replacing it I seemed to work till I took an hour and half drive home and I saw the voltage slowly going down again. I parked the car took out the alternator and had it checked. They said it was good so I threw it back into the car and charged it up again. it runs for awhile but soon dies and the battery is basically new also. Can anyone help ?

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Well... some folks may have experience but we're a Mk1/Mk2 community primarily and you'd likely have more luck on SupraMania (a Mk3 community)

On a mk2, charging flows through the fusible link - the most common failure. Get the battery tested as well and check resistance between the alternator charge eyelet and the positive terminal.

--billyM

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Billy, hope you're doing well, just had the starter replaced on my 85, but the temp gauge spikes to hot when the ignition is turned on, and back to zero when turned off...have you seen this before?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts